A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

chaquita
February 23, 2010

Chaquita in Florida writes:

i would love to adoption a child/children or sibling group from Haiti. I do have license to adopt, also an current homestudy.

sharee
New Jersey, USA
February 26, 2010

Sharee in New Jersey writes:

i would like to know how i can go to haiti to help the people there. donating money is one thing but i want to be there to help them.

jim p.
Pennsylvania, USA
February 26, 2010

Jim P. in Pennsylvania writes:

i have a prostic left hand i no longer need can i get it to someone in hati that can use it

shah p.
Pakistan
February 28, 2010

Shah in Pakistan writes:

i want to participate in activities to support Haiti earthquake affecties. i am a social worker and want to travel Haiti and Chile to help the people by physical work.Can anybody help me for my travel to these disastrous countries.

zara
Australia
March 1, 2010

Zara in Australia writes:

I am only 10 years old but want to help haiti as much as possible.

john p.
Colorado, USA
March 2, 2010

John P. in Colorado writes:

I am a unemployed journey man carpenter, with supervisory experence. I would like to know if there are any employment construction opportunities in Hati. I am experienced in a wide range of trade skills, and would like to help re-build Hati.If you know about any goverment or private construction jobs available peease contact me Thank, you John P.

Micheal
Australia
March 8, 2010

Micheal in Australia writes:

The best thing we can do for Haiti is to not forget and to keep it in the media

Jerry C.
China
March 17, 2010

Jerry C. in China writes:

I am a director of an new energy company in China, I want to know if can donate some mini solar panel for Haiti Children for teaching aid. If possible, please contact me. Thanks.Jerry

rana r.
Lebanon
March 19, 2010

Rana R. in Lebanon writes:

Hello My name is Rana R.I am a US citizen and have been working with the US forces in iraq for the past 3 years ad recently came back home. I haven't started working again yet, however would like to ask if there were any volunteer organization i can join for a couple of weeks to a month to offer help in haiti. I am ready to go ther but please direct me to the right people. thank you

Rana

James V.
Minnesota, USA
March 22, 2010

James V. in Minnesota writes:

I am a disabled veteran and would like to go to Hatai and help with the rescue and handing out food to the victims of this earthquage please contact me as to when I can go and what I would be doing. Thank You

James

yusuf w.
March 25, 2010

Yusef W. in Washington, D.C. writes:

I AM JUST ONE OF MANY WHO IS EAGER TO GIVE MY COMPLETE TIME AND BODY TO HELP WITH THE EFFORTS OF REBUILDING HAITI,I AM AVAILABLE,AND WILLING TO RELOCATE,UNTIL COMPLETION,PLEASE E MAIL ME MORE INFO THANK YOU

robert w.
New Zealand
March 26, 2010

Robert W. in New Zealand writes:

I am a american living in new zealand waiting around to work on the movie the hobit which has been delayed i am a set builder with a lot of skills and a need to help attitude i am a ex marine and willing to do anything to help dont need much of anything ive been in worst places and have time on my hand please contact me i can leave at a moments notice thats the marine i have a American passport and nz resident thank you and i do have tools to help

savannah
March 29, 2010

Savannah in Washington writes:

hey if u know anyhting about homoeless please email me i am doing a project in school

Chris P.
March 29, 2010

Chris P. in Virginia writes:

I really want to help by donating my time. I can spend at least two months (starting after May 15) and more if I am really needed. I served four years, including a year in Iraq, in the US Army as a mechanic but was also trained in combat life saving (IVs, dressing wounds, splints...) I can most likely finance my own trip, and stay, I just need to know how to get there; what steps and so forth. I want to help.

Love,

Chris P.

Shannon N.
South Carolina, USA
April 9, 2010

Shannon N. in South Carolina writes:

I would really like to help, but I don't have much money to help with. I could go over there and help build things, take care of children, help with teaching, distribute food, or distribute clothing. I am eager to help so please let me know if there is anything I can do?! I do have a few bags of clothes that I do not wear anymore and don't need. Just tell me where to send them and I will.

Sincerely,
Shannon

Ashley E.
Oregon, USA
April 11, 2010

Ashley in Oregon writes:

I am 15 and I want to do anything to help for this tragic happening...i think that we should have a commercial that can grab everyones attention telling them that these families need help and that a can of food them by alot that a toy can help a child feel more confident....i think that schools should help....schools can help by writing a simple letter, or by donating shoes clothes, or food...i know that there is expences for this kind of stuff, but i think if we can do fundraisers it will help...i think that america is a helpful country and i know that we can do it i know that a something can make a big difference...please leave a message and tell me what you think and tell me what i can do to help support haiti in my community...because i wanna makea huge difference...

cheryka
April 26, 2010

Cheryka writes:

I love to help peple allot please give me a chanse to please.

Divya
Texas, USA
April 26, 2010

Divya in Texas writes:

I am 17 year old. I would rally like to help.I am a girl scout too. I can fund raise for school supplies, like: books, computers, black boards, chairs, benches etc. please let me know if they are building any schools or there any existing school needs these items.

Thanks
Divya

Lisa K.
April 21, 2010

Lisa K. in U.S.A. writes:

Its always sad whenever I come across another blog that has something to do with Haiti. Its been pretty hard on them and I really hope that they can recover as soon as possible.

Amir
Pakistan
April 26, 2010

Amir in Pakistan writes:

I do the work in USA so plz help me what can I do..? I have mobiles parts tools an many more food aitems

Zachariah D.
Afghanistan
April 26, 2010

Zachariah D. in Afghanistan writes:

I was an interpreter with U S A Marin Corps. I want help all of the world people, if I can. I don't think I'm from Afghanistan, I think I'm from the world. I think world is a patient & We have to make it fine. In here we have Taliban. Taliban is a big problem too. We have to terminate the Taliban too. for other, like earthquake, at the 1th time We have to pray & take a help from the God. God can do everything. God make the baby in Mom is stomach. everything is very easy to God. The God is one. God doesn't need anything or anyone. God doesn't have any Mother & Father. God Doesn't have any waif or husband. God know everything. I pray for Haiti people. God bless them.

Dave D.
Wisconsin, USA
May 3, 2010

Dave D. in Wisconsin writes:

I am a builder looking to help out in Haiti. I do commercial and residential carpentry. If any general contractors are looking for help e-mail me. God Bless

Anthony C.
Illinois, USA
May 17, 2010

Anthony C. in Illinois writes:

I am heading to Gonaives to set up a computer lab for the university there. I have 100 computers that have been donated, now I need monitors! They have to be LED or LCD for weight and transportation, can anyone help?

Jerry H.
May 20, 2010

Jerry H. writes:

It is important that we do not forget Haiti, they have been in a bad spot for a long time, it is sad that it takes a catastrophe for people to notice.

Oscar C.
May 24, 2010

Oscar Cuellar in Virginia writes:

I am a residential and commercial project foremen/superintendent/ carpenter, I am a hands on person, been in the business over 25 years, I would like to help.I speak english and spanish.

Alan Y.
May 25, 2010

Alan Y. in New York writes:

@ Cheryl,

Reaching out to you to find out if you need my volunteer services

Alan

Rebekah S.
June 9, 2010

Rebekah S. in New Mexico writes:

Our hearts go out to the children in Haiti , the ones left with out parents , we have so much love to give to one of these children I am 46 my husband is 36 we have a lovable home and have lots of love to give we have been trying to have a baby for almost 8 years but it has not happened , please let us know what we need to do in order to adopt a beautiful child thank you .

Nick
Texas, USA
June 14, 2010

Nick in Texas writes:

I think that disasters like this bring out the best in all of us...so long as we chose to remember. These people still need our help...and everyone seems to have a 30 day memory in this country.

ivan e.
Canada
July 22, 2010

Ivan E. in Canada writes:

i have trying to make connections to go to haiti to help with no success if you could point me in the right direction i would appreaciate your time my expereince includes all forms of construction[blue printing,concrete foundations are my specialty,framing,roofing,drywall,plastering,and equipment opperations] i can be contact as well at office thank-you for your time i look forward to your response.

Renae P.
Texas, USA
August 1, 2010

Renae P. in Texas writes:

i am 15, so i know that there is not much that i can do to help...but i am more than willing to do anything that is needed of me. i would drop my entire life in a moment to go and help these people. i believe that God has called me to be a missionary and (although i plan on going to the philippines when im old enough) i think this would be a great start. i would give my life to save someone, and i would give everything i have to try to provide for them. please..dont be afraid to take a chance on people my age..let us help in any way we can...(:

@ashley
wow, i had no idea that there were other 15 year olds like me who want to help and make a difference...that really made me more confident to see that im not the only one...thank youu!!(:

@jaqcues
wow....Mr President...Mrs Clinton...somebody please help him...or give somebody else the chance to!!