A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

alma
Idaho, USA
February 2, 2010

Aima in Idaho writes:

hi my name is alma i am very sorry about what happened in haiti. i have a lot of stuff donate to them but dont know where to send them to so canyou please get back to A.S.A.P

Eva
Colorado, USA
February 2, 2010

Eva in Colorado writes:

Please send me information ASAP about going to Haiti to help.

americawestand
North Carolina, USA
February 2, 2010

Americawestand in North Carolina writes:

Are you kidding me?? We have people losing their jobs and homes on a daily basis and you want help for Haiti? We have people needing help right here in America.

carmille r.
Texas, USA
February 2, 2010

Carmille R. in Texas writes:

how do i go about getting info to go to Haiti to volunteer my time?

Nia P.
Pennsylvania, USA
February 2, 2010

Nia P. in Pennsylvania writes:

I am always surprised my insensitive people that wonder why American should help out in Haiti. You really need to check yourself and that is all I am going to say. Your attitude does not deserve any more attention just some therapy.

Travis s.
Ohio, USA
February 3, 2010

Travis S. in Ohio writes:

I am 16 almost 17. I go to a vocational school in Ohio for carpentry I was thinking about trying to find a program that maybe I would be able to go and help. I think it would be a great experience and I would love to help.

kimberly m.
February 3, 2010

Kimberly M. in California writes:

hi im kimberly and in 12 years old. i really am a helpful girl and really wants to help haiti. i will try so hard to help the people over there. i wish everything turns out okay. god bless the people in haiti.

Susan H.
February 3, 2010

Susan W. H. in Virginia writes:

Although I am myself disabled and a single black female, I would like help to adopt a Haitian child. I would prefer an older child [11 or 12] as I am unable to walk and would require slightly less energy of me. Please help me help them.

Roy G.
February 4, 2010

Roy G. in New York writes:

I am a Licensed Land Surveyor in Rochester ny , I have been working for a Civil Engineering firm for 22 yrs. I have a good deal of construction experience in interpretation, layout and hands on building. I also have owned and ran my own small construction-remodeling company. I would be interested in finding a way to help the people of Haiti ....

Robyn T.
Texas, USA
February 5, 2010

I am an 18 year old female, just out of high school and i would very much love to go to Haiti and help out in anything possible. i just need to know how and who to contact about this. i'm certified in Oxygen, 1st Aid, and CPR. i really feel like this is something that i would benefit from.
please email me with any info i could get on going over there.
Thanks

laura
February 5, 2010

Laura in California writes:

Dear Sec. Clinton,
Please look into the Baptist Missionarys who were only trying to help the children. They are now in jail? With all that the US is doing for that country, you would think their government would take that into consideration. It isn't right.

joe
February 12, 2010

Joe in Florida writes:

pray hard i do think 2012 is comming very soon and maby sooner than people think and just keep your heads up in prayer

Hannah
February 9, 2010

Hannah writes:

I Feel very sorry for everyone in Haiti. I will put them in my prayers for sure.

Lucy E.
Indiana, USA
February 12, 2010

Lucy in Indiana writes:

My husband and I are interested in fostering one or two children from Haiti in our home. What and where would we find out about the process?

Adam
Tennessee, USA
February 12, 2010

Adam in Tennessee writes:

I would like to go there and help out for a while. I have a degree in mass communications, but it wouldn't be much use. I'm a quick learner and could be an asset.

Kaitlyn.J.
Canada
February 12, 2010

Kaitlyn in Canada writes:

I am a 12 year old girl that goes to a catholic school and i am VERY helpfull around the class and at home as well. I have donated money but i think that they still need alot of help so please anyone that is able to go and help GO AND HELP them out.

Brittany H.
February 12, 2010

Brittany in California writes:

I'm 18 years old and my friend and I after high school want to go to Haiti and contribute in any way possible. Is that possible?? Like we'll donate blood, we'll build homes, and just anything possible to give back so if you could please send us some info on what we need how to get involved that would be a blessing. Thank you.

Eunide B.
Georgia
February 12, 2010

Eunide in Georgia writes:

I really want to go to my country Haiti, to help my people in creole. I am greatful for all the help that haitian's are receiving all over the world, however Haitian culture is complex and can be understood only by its native. Why so much military forces? the people needs food , shelter, water, medical, comfort, not military pushing them and telling them what to do. Please help our people with dignity. The airport needs to be reopen so that haitians can go home to help their people. Again thank you very much for you all your care and support.

February 13, 2010

Dear Cheryl: I wouldn't have a clue where to send a get-well card, but perhaps you'll be so kind as to further my best wishes for President Clinton's speedy recovery on through to the Sec. of State.

Thanks.

Marilee G.
February 13, 2010

Marilee in Washington writes:

i am a kid and want to help haiti and i thought this would be a good website but i can't find a place where it said where kids can help.

chancie
Kentucky, USA
February 13, 2010

Chancie in Kentucky writes:

i going to start a club called the hopers for haiti everyday we'll dotate a dollar an we'll put it in a special box that will be kept in a special place until we raise $500 then ill put the $500 in an envelope and send it to the head wjhich is the white house and they will send it to haiti i hope the money that the hopers for haiti will help out,your welcome chancie.

Jennifer R.
Indiana, USA
February 14, 2010

Jennifer in Indiana writes:

My son would like to go to Haiti and help for the rebuilding process He is very lnowledgable and would love to help he can only do that during the summer months because he is a collage student. can anyone pass along info to let me know what is involved in this process. Thank You

Vince O.
Nevada, USA
February 15, 2010

Vince in Nevada writes:

Child in need… please read!

I have a friend who is married to his wife that was born in Haiti. His wife’s brother has a little girl about two years old that survived the earthquake. The father of this little girl did not survive and neither did the mother. The little girl is being cared for by her cousin who is 32yrs and they are living in a tent in Port de Prince.

My friend and his wife are sending $400 per month to help them. Since the wife is the blood Aunt of this little girl we are trying to find a way to bring the little girl back to the United States.

Does anyone have any idea of how best to do this?

Jamin
Pennsylvania, USA
February 16, 2010

Jamin in Pennsylvania writes:

I want to go to Haiti with my girlfriend, and mother this summer to helpout (it is the soonest we could coordinate off weeks). I am having a hard time finding out how to go about doing this, or what organization could help me. Please let me know if there is anyone who knows how to go about doing this. Thank you

Michael
Ohio, USA
February 17, 2010

Michael in Ohio writes:

I have always wanted to go to another country to help out when another country are in need And this is a perfect opertunity.I am still15 but age doesn't matter in a situAtion like this. I have donated money and done what I can to help but i would love to help in haiti if they need Any assistance.thanks. -michael

Catherine C.
Louisiana, USA
February 18, 2010

Catherine C. in Louisiana writes:

i am a massage therapist, just finished physical therapy tech school here in louisiana...currently cannot find a job and want to do bigger and better things for the world...i am a caregiver above all else...i feel helpless here and think my skills and compassion would be better used in Haiti...Please send me some information on what it is i have to do to get there...thank you for your time.

Kendra
Minnesota, USA
February 22, 2010

Kendra in Minnesota writes:

I'm a highschool student and want to help out in Haiti. Making donations is one thing I have done, but I want to take the next step. Please let me know if there is a way that I can go to Haiti and help in this disaster relief.

Mitchell W.
February 22, 2010

Mitchell W. in New York writes:

During the upcoming Spring Break, I am planning to travel to Dominican Republic with my girlfriend and a group of friends.Since Dominican Republic is adjacent Dominican Republic I was wondering if there were any volunteer organizations during March 8 - March 13 to help clean. My name is Mitchell Wong. I am currently attending school and graduating in the school of Management at the University at Buffalo by the end of summer majoring in Finance/M.I.S. As the Treasurer of my cultural fraternity, Financial Management Association VP of Marketing/Finance, and Management of Information Systems Association Marketing Chairman. We want to help so help us help Haiti and please contact us as soon as possible for more members in my organizations to travel to help Haiti. Thank you!

Best Regards,
Mitchell W.

jennifer
Arkansas, USA
February 22, 2010

Jennifer in Arkansas writes:

I would like to know how to go about adopting Haiti children.And would like to go there to help out.

chaquita
February 23, 2010

Chaquita in Florida writes:

i want to know what i have to do to adoption a child/children or sibling group from haiti. I do have licenses to adopt, i also have a current homestudy