A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Brenda
Louisiana, USA
January 27, 2010

Brenda in Louisiana writes:

I need to help at least two Haitian Children, by taking care of them and sending them to school.

Tcarey
Louisiana, USA
January 28, 2010

Tcarey in Louisiana writes:

I see there are a lot of questions about adopting hatian children.

Go to news about adopting haitian children.com

there are links to click on that tell u how to do so.

Rafael m.
January 28, 2010

Rafael M. in New York writes:

i recently got out the service in september 2007 i left as a Gunnersmate 2nd class petty officer United States Navy. i served 5yrs and 8 mos. my entire time in the military we trained for disasters bith natural and man made. I feel like i can help tremendously over there in haiti , putting the skills i learned on how to maintain order in chaotic situations and understanding on how to stay alert and ready to deal with unexpected changes, i would love to go over and help. please let me know if i am a candidate to help in these trying times.

Cynthia B.
January 28, 2010

Cynthia B. in Florida writes:

My husband and I would like to foster parents for children of the Haiti diaster.

Yamaica H.
January 28, 2010

Yamaica H. in New York writes:

Hii i was just wondersing how do i go about gettin information on how i can get over to haiti. As this timeand moment i feel i can only really help by going over there and helping .. U have donated but it just doesnt seem like enough was done . and my city was in a sense of kahos like haiti i only pray and hope people around the world would come to our releave. At thid time we most stand together . Haiti needs to know that we care and will not forget about them . If you have any information i can be contacted .. Please call asap thank you and have a great day

Christel W.
Texas, USA
January 29, 2010

Christel W. in Texas writes:

I would be more then willing to foster a Haitian child...anyone with information regarding this please contact me...thanks

Christel

Matt W.
Ohio, USA
January 29, 2010

Matt W. in Ohio writes:

Hi I am a 19 year old college student and I really want to find a way to have the chance to help out in Haiti. I think it would be a good experience and I am willing to help out as much as they need. If you could email me back and let me know if their is anyway possible to go and help that would be great

Debbie O.
January 29, 2010

Debbie O. in California writes:

Where can i get info on fostering children from haiti?

Shodale K.
Georgia
January 29, 2010

Shondale K. in Georgia writes:

I would love to go over and help out. But I will need to have a place to stay and maybe some compensation. Anyone that would like to take me up on my offer please call Shondale

Ruth L.
January 29, 2010

Ruth L writes:

I feel drewadful about what has happened, I feel their pain. And another thing is that some people have know idea in the world what is happening and THEY don't even care some people i feel very sorry for those people and it isn't their folt so they shouldn't have to suffer

DENNIS H.
Texas, USA
January 29, 2010

Dennis H. in Texas writes:

WHERE TO DONATE MY SUPPLIES!

Andrea L.
Mississippi, USA
January 29, 2010

Andrea L. in Mississippi writes:

I would like to know why our government isn't sending packages of Outfit to Go to Haiti (outfittogo.org)? Instead all over America people are collecting Truckloads of donated (our leftovers) clothes to be sent to Haiti.

Look at Outfit to Go's website to see what actually happens to the clothes we send, click on the stats and pictures that are on the Did You Know page. It will make you sick. If not look at the slideshow on the homepage.

American Red Cross chapters use these for small disasters, it is a no-brainer. Our Government or Red Cross National needs to provide these at all disasters. They give you hygene kits to clean up, but what do you do then? Put back on your nasty clothes or somebody elses?

They deserve better in Haiti as we do here in the U.S.

Maybe the Clinton Foundation could step in and make sure this gets done. Stop the ships of donated clothes before they can leave the ports. Wait till the area is stable first.

I will continue to pray for all those in Haiti that things will get better soon.

Diana M.
February 1, 2010

Diana M. in California writes:

I am working on my degree in Psychology, and hope that when I finish, I will be able to get a group of counselors together, to help those in Haiti suffering from PTSD. I feel it's important that the people of Haiti get this type of help, as well as the the support they are now receiving... My prayers go out to these people...

shawna p.
Ohio, USA
February 1, 2010

Shawna P. in Ohio writes:

I would love to adoption two kids and boy and a girl

jacques j.
February 1, 2010

Jacques J. in Florida writes:

WITH HIGHIEST REPECT
HONOURABLE PRESIDENT
I GREET AND PRESENT MY EXCUSES FOR DISTURBING YOU IN YOUR NOBLE AND MULTIPLE OCCUPATIONS.
I HAVE MY WIFE AND 7 CHILDREN LIVING CURRENTLY IN HAITI.I'M FACING TO A VERY BAD SITUATION CAUSE MY HOUSE IS BROKEN SINCE LAST HAPPENED THE EARTHQUAKE IN HAITI.I HAVE NO MEANS TO RE HOUSE THEM/AND PROVIDE THEM HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCES.
1)COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME TO BRING THEM TO USA FOR SAFETY RESON ?FIND OUT FOR ME A SUPPORT FOR THEM ?
2)SOMEON WOULD LIKE TO SPONSOR THEM AND TAKE THEM TO USA AND PROVIDING THE NECESSARY ASSISTANCES;WHAT THE SPONSOR PERSON HAS TO FILL OUT/NEEDS TO START THE PROCESS ?
THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT/OFFICIAL HANDS ON THIS MATTER

JACQUES J.

lynda c.
Wisconsin, USA
February 1, 2010

Lynda C. in Wisconsin writes:

I,ve been an RN for 34 years. Would love to donate time. Already donated money. Who cn I contact to go there and HELP!!!!!!!! This cannot be this difficult!

Michelle
Indiana, USA
February 1, 2010

Michelle in Indiana writes:

My husband and I would like information on fostering a child from Haiti. Can anybody help us start this process?
Thank you.

bill w.
February 1, 2010

Bill W. writes:

i don't have anything to donate except my services, i am a master electrician with many years of experience and am able to make do in many cases with what is available to fabricate safe an usable systems

Whitney G.
Illinois, USA
February 1, 2010

Whitney G. in Illinois writes:

I am an 18 year old senior in high school and would give anything to be able to go to Haiti to help out when I graduate in early May. If anyone has any information for me please send me an email thank you.

Eve H.
Ohio, USA
February 1, 2010

Eve H. in Ohio writes:

We have been an Ohio Foster/Adoptive family since 2000. We would like to be of valuable use and provide foster care to the Haiti children in need. Please inform us on how our family can help. We are a very medically inclined family and can take medically fragile. Please let us know, we are eager to help.

Renate N.
Canada
February 1, 2010

Renate N. in Canada writes:

I would love to adopt a haitian child...anyone with any kind of infromation please contact me...thank you

Kurt M.
February 1, 2010

Kurt M. writes:

I am a able bodied 41yr old man. I am completely prepared to travel and provide any assistance. They need help now! I am ready now! Please Please give me direction to the correct channels. Thank you

Sara D.
Canada
February 2, 2010

Sara in Canada writes:

Hi there,
I am a 20 year old University student that would love to go to Hati for as long as needed to help with a relief team. Please guide me in the correct direction as to which i can go about getting on a team and going.

Sara.

Christina F.
Delaware, USA
February 2, 2010

Christina F. in Delaware writes:

I would like to know what is the process of taking in a family or children from the earthquake disaster. My heart and prayers goes out to them so much.

Tuesday J.
Arizona, USA
February 2, 2010

Tuesday J. in Arizona writes:

I would very much like to foster a haitian child, if anyone has any information that can help me do this please let me know, God bless!

Jennifer A.
Connecticut, USA
February 2, 2010

Jennifer A. in Connecticut writes:

I am trying to find out how I can go to Haiti to help. I am CPR certified, and have done work with Habitat for Humanity. I have taken 3 years of French as well and am able to communicate. Any information about how I can get there, and what programs I need to contact would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mac B.
February 2, 2010

Mac B. in New York writes:

I looked at the website outfittogo.org, and totally agree with Andrea L. Why aren't we doing something to address this ongoing issue. Looks like our government is lacking a lot in this area. We all deserve better.

Please Secretary Clinton do something now to prevent this.

Maria R.
Nevada, USA
February 2, 2010

My husband and I would like to foster children from Haiti.

is this even a possibility?

Maria R.
Nevada, USA
February 2, 2010

Maria R. in Nevada writes:

My Husband and I already donated to Haiti's cause as much as we could afford, still we feel like we want to do so much more.

We would love to foster Haitian Children.

is this even a possibility?

Can anyone inform me about this matters, or point me towards the right direction?

Brad N.
Indiana, USA
February 2, 2010

Brad N. in Indiana writes:

I am a 24yr old college student from Bloomington, Indiana. I have taken this spring semester off from classes, and would love to provided my services over in Haiti. I am not sure who to contact to help make the trip over to Haiti to help out with this horrible disaster. All the videos and images I have seen make me feel so sad for the people of Haiti, and would very much love to go and make a difference over there. If ANYONE has any information on how i could become involved and get to Haiti to help it would be greatlet appreciated, not only by me but of the people of Haiti as well. Please e-mail me as soon as possible with any helpful information.

Thanks