A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Jose O.
Tennessee, USA

Jose O. in Tennessee writes:

I operate a General Construction Company in TN. We specialize in Commercial, Industrial and Residential Construction. I would like to provide services in Haiti. We need to know how?
Thank you ver much to all the people who are offering their services...

marie m.

Marie M. in New York writes:

Stable home with 3 biological children, married 20 yrs. born in haiti...was in haiti during the earthquake... my husband and I are very much interested in adopting a child. Need info on how to procced

SANDRA T.
Louisiana, USA

Sandra T. in Louisiana writes:

i would love to take about 20 or more kids, in my home i have plenty room in my home also my heart/ call me

theresa g.
Missouri, USA

Theresa G. in Missouri writes:

hello, i would be very interested in either a tempoary home or an adoption of a child in haiti please let me know who i may contact because i have no idea. thanks, theres

etleva x.
Kansas, USA

Etleva X. in Kansas writes:

my husband and I would be intersting in adopting a chid from haiti we have been married for 10 years, have a daughter 6 years old. we live in Wichita KS .PLEASE send me information on how to go about this.thank you Eva .

Peter S.

Peter S. in New York writes:

Like everyone else, my wife and I would like to open our home to children of any age in Haiti. We are both educators and have 2 children. Please let us help those children is such dire need!!

JASON S.

Jason S. in Florida writes:

HI WE A SMALL BUILDING BLOCK AND BRICK MANUFACTURER LOOKING TO HELP WITH THE RE BUILDING OF HAITI. WE HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO TO SET UP A BLOCK PLANT IN OR AROUND HAITI TO HELP PRODUCE BUILDING BLOCK FOR THE REBUILDING OF HAITI. IF INTERESTED PLEASE CALL ASK FOR JASON S. I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP WHERE WE CAN WITH OUR EXPERTISE IN THE MANUFACTURING OF BUILDING MATERIALS

Jean O.
New Jersey, USA

Jean O. in New Jersey writes:

I'm an american citizen,my orphan niece inlaw is in haiti i want a know how to odopted her or bring in the US?

angela h.

Angela H. writes:

i.m 35 years of age i feel i have a calling. get me to haita .......i can help ...please i want and need to help angela ...x

Carmen

Carmen in New York writes:

My husband and I would like to adopt a child from the Haiti disaster. We have 4 children ages 17,15,14 &14;. Please send us information reguarding adoption .

angie

Angie in New York writes:

my husband and I would love to adopt a child from haiti.Please let us know how we can help a child from this nightmare. I am also a surgical technologist how can I help
please email me
best regards
angie O. D.

Alejandra m.
Illinois, USA

Alejandra M. in Illinois writes:

I will love to donate to all those people in Haiti bacause I think those people need better than me. I feel really sad to see those little kids suffer to much thank you for reading my thoughts

Rebecca W.
Michigan, USA

Rebecca W. in Michigan writes:

We have room in our hearts and home. I am also a nurses aid with 20years experience. I saw the nursing home residents and my heart broke for them. I have a steady job and don't want to loose it. However the medical center I work for was founded by the sisters of St. Joseph, who also have a center in Haiti. I want to help, but just don't know how to put it together. I would love to go and help or stay and accept anyone from 0-99 into our home.

Sharla R.
Idaho, USA

Sharla R. in Idaho writes:

Me and my husband would love to be able to give a couple children love.I would love the opportunity to adopt two Hatian children and give them a home and family.we are very stable and have three children of our own let me know how i can help!Thank you

Mel W.
Pennsylvania, USA

Mel W. in Pennsylvania writes:

I have my own excavating business and would like to know what the process is to offer the use of my 953C backhoe in Haiti. How can I get it there?

Ruth E.
New Hampshire, USA

Ruth E. in New Hampshire writes:

Oue hearts are full of love for dear ones in Haiti. We want to help the children orphaned by the quake. When will the children be coming to USA for relief? Our arms are open waiting for news. These precious souls are so vulnerable and our responsibility is to "care for the fatherless boy" Exodus 22:22

passionate

Passionate in Florida writes:

I PRAY FOR EVERYONE IN HAITI

kim
Pennsylvania, USA

Kim in Pennsylvania writes:

My husband and I have been married 23 years and would love to adopt a child or two from haiti, we are loving stable and want to give our love to a child that needs lots of it.

Paulette D.
North Dakota, USA

Paulette D. in North Dakota writes:

My husband and I would like to open our heart/home to foster/adopt 1-2 children..Please let us help, WE would like information on how to foster or adopt a Haitian child/children. We can help.... please send any information you can as soon as possible.. Thank you

mismide j.

Mismide J. in Florida writes:

Hi, I am a mother of 3...an american citizen. I would like to get more info on how to adopt in Haiti, Please help.

Tim D.
North Carolina, USA

Tim D. in North Carolina writes:

Iam a handyman in NC,I have 25+ years experience in constuction.I want to join a team going to haiti to help rebuild.Iam willing to do whatever it takes to train or prepair for that enviroment or any other.

jen m.
Indiana, USA

Jen M. in Indiana writes:

Hello, My name is Jen. My husband and I have 4 children. We want to adopt from Haiti. There are 3 children I've seen on tv who I am in constant prayer for, and who I want to adopt. My heart is deeply burdened and I want these children.

Tedi T.

Tedi T. in California writes:

My husband and I would like to adopt a boy or a girl from Haiti. I would like to have information about how to adopt and help a child from Haiti. We will travel to Haiti if it is necessary.
Please send me information.
Tedi T.

Ricky K.
Idaho, USA

Ricky K. in Idaho writes:

Hi, my name is Ricky, and i'm interested in going overseas to help the victoms.

ginger p.

Ginger P. in Florida writes:

If I can help by taking a child into my home I am willing please advise me of what to do and how I can help.

Sherley
New Jersey, USA

Sherley in New Jersey writes:

I just want to say thank you to all of you who want to volunteer your time, donating money or want to open your home to the victimes of the quake. Thank you so much for caring for my people. We will never forget the time the world come together to help us.

Melissa F.
West Virginia, USA

Melissa and Larry F. in West Virginia write:

We have 2 young boys of our own. We have been exploring adopting a girl. We would give any child a foster home or provide care in any way needed. Please let us know what needs done.

alejandra
Texas, USA

Alejandra in Texas writes:

in my opinion i think we could all help by donating atleat 1 dollar or adopting some of the haiti children in need.although immigrants cant adopt which i think they should be able 2. but we could all help.

Julie H.
Texas, USA

Julie H. in Texas writes:

I am a widowed mother of two daughters 9 and 13. I am also a teacher getting her masters in teaching English as a second language. I would like to adopt or foster a Haitian orphan. Please let me know what I need to do to help.

Denise
North Carolina, USA

Denise in North Carolina writes:

My husband and I are licensed foster parents and would love to add more children into our loving home. We have been fostering for sixteen years. I specialize in special needs infants that have had everything from heart conditions to downs syndrome. Please send me any information on how we can be added to your list for potential foster parents.