A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Florencia
Argentina

Florencia in Argentina writes:

I´m from Argentina, and my country is collaborating but i would like to do something myelf for Haiti.
The world must help, all of us hae to work together to prevent this from happening again.

sandra t.
Louisiana, USA

Sandra T. in Louisiana writes:

i have a very large home i could house about 20 kids from haiti, i love kids, and would love to share my family home also love with some kids, sandra t. please call me,i live in Hammond lousiana

Molly S.

Molly S. in New York writes:

Hi-

My husband and I would really like to help the children of Haiti. We would be able to foster one or two children in our home. How would we go about this? What would we need to do. We feel this is something that we need to do. Please, get back to me. Thanks...

Maria G.
Connecticut, USA

Maria M. G. in Connecticut writes:

We would love to welcome a Haitian child into our home. Our home is not big, but it is filled with lots of love and devotion to our own two children. We will happily make room for one more.

Brandi S.
North Carolina, USA

Brandi S. in North Carolina writes:

I would like to foster and or adopt Haitian child or children. Please let me know how I can help.

Mark
Pennsylvania, USA

Mark writes:

i would love to help in any way i can. But i dont really have the extra cash to donate, but i would be willing to give up some of my time and go over and help with anything i can. so if i can be contacted and let kno if that is possiable.

Kori B.
Rhode Island, USA

Kori B. in Rhode Island writes:

My husband and I are so moved and and can't help but think about what we could do to help those who have suffered so much in Haiti. As we were discussing it, my 7 year old says "Momma, why can't some of the kids live with us...I just want to take care of them." and my husband and looked at each other with the biggest tears.. and from that point on I have never wanted to do something more in my life than adopt... Can someone please help me find out how I can adopt a child from Haiti.... My home is officially open and ready!

Josh M.
Georgia

Josh M. in Georgia writes:

I have construction and electrical backgrounds and I want to HELP!!! Please direct me to the right place to get me down there and help rebuild, save people, feed people, whatever needs to be done. Just heart breaking. Please Let ME HELP!!

Ernestine B.
South Carolina, USA

Ernestine B. in South Carolina writes:

We are a very blessed couple, who will love to open our home to foster and/or adopt 2-4 of the children of Haiti; or take in a family until they can get on their feet. How do I make the right connections?

Rhonda G.
New Jersey, USA

Rhonda G. in New Jersey writes:

My heart goes out to the families in Haiti! I cannot imagine being in there shoes, this is why i am reaching out to see if there is anything that I can do to be of assistant. I would first like to start by saying that I would love to foster a Little girl that does not have her Mother! Please reach out to me and let me know where I can take part in this matter.

INGRID S.

Ingrid C. S. in California writes:

HI, I HAVE 3 ADOPTED CHILDREN AND I WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT A CHILD FROM HAITI.I HAVE ALL THE LOVE AND RESOURCES TO HELP AN ORPHAN BABY OR CHILD IN NEED..PLEASE CONSIDER ME..
THANK YOU, INGRID S.
USA CALIFORNIA

Larry L.
Missouri, USA

Larry L. in Missouri writes:

As like everyone else I have donated money in the relief efforts. However, I am also offering my time and effort to deploy to the H area for help. I have been a deputy sheriff for 7 years and currently still active. I also have experience in the emergency medical field for 12 years with our local Fire and rescue department. If there are any groups needing more people or recourses to go and help, I would like to be contacted by e-mail. I can arrange for deployment at any notice.

james w.
Alabama, USA

James W. in Alabama writes:

I am 23 years old and have watched over the past couple of days the sadness that has come of this. I want to help so badly but dont have the skills to help but honestly I think they could use any helping hand. I just wish i would be picked to help i would work my heart out to help anyone in need. I have a friend that lost his father to this and its so sad to hear his voice to say there is nothing he can do. I just wish god would give me the chance to help

Johnny M.
Mississippi, USA

Johnny and Sherry M. in Mississippi write:

We would very much like to give a lost and homeless Haiti toddler a loving home. May God bless these little angels.

Loretta R.
New Jersey, USA

Loretta L. R. writes:

My husband and I are adoptive parents and are interested in helping by fostering or adopting these children. How do we go about this process?

Sara S.
New Jersey, USA

Sara S. in New Jersey writes:

Like so many other people, I would love more than anything to welcome a Haitian child into our hearts and home. Please let me know how I can help. Donating money just doesn't feel like enough to me. I want to do more.

T.G

T.G. writes:

two comments, or maybe three. One, I was so happy to see that so many people were moved by the telethon and willing to help. Two, once the television ended it really ended. I could hardly find a trace anywhere. Third, I want to help, have sent money, but know i can be of more help than my dollars. What do I do. ....Also I don't want to be scammed, kidnapped, etc. It should not be so difficult to volunteer help. It's a shame that all of the world seems a sham and even when we KNOW people need help, we know that there are those who are willing to put their needs before others and take from those who need it most.

Latrisa E.

Latrisa E. in California writes:

My husband and I do not have a lot of money, however we would love to adopt a orphaned Haitian infant. We have room and cant have children of our own.

Anne H.

Anne H. in Florida writes:

Please tell us how we can welcome an abandoned Hatian child, any age, into our home. We would welcome the opportunity either temporary or permanent to make a real difference in the face of such suffering.

Keith D.
Texas, USA

Keith D. in Texas writes:

I am an Officer in the U.S. Coast Guard, my wife have been struggling with infertility & we are very interested in adopting a Haitian child. I'm normally not in a deployable position, but I'm working to get myself on one of the call-ups that will allow me to get to Haiti and help on the ground. Please include me on any lists generated for disseminating adopting information, or listing persons interested in Haitian child adpotions.

Thanks

JOSHUA

Joshua in California writes:

hello my name is joshua d. I am 16 years old and i attend coronado high school,and i would love to help haiti. please help me to get there.

Tracy R.

Tracy R. in California writes:

I have a the week of March 15th off and MUST go to Haiti to help the relief effort! How can I make this happen?!

Sheree E.

Sheree E. in California writes:

I am seeking information on providing temporary care for displaced people, I am unable to adopt at this time but can foster or host someone, would like any information available

Dawn K.

Dawn K. in California writes:

My husband and I would love to adopt a Haiti child. We have three children of our own that would love another brother or sister! We just do not have the money for all the fees to adopt. Is there any kind of financial help with that? If anyone would like to donate the fees so we can open our home to a child in need that would be amazing.

Thank You, Dawn K.

Samara

Samara in California writes:

I would like to open my home to foster or adopt a Hatian child, please let me know how I can help.

Tracie P.
Colorado, USA

Tracie P. in Colorado writes:

My husband and I are currently awating an adoption match in China and have all the current docmentation for international adoption. Like many others families, my husband and I would love to adopt a Haitian orphan who needs a home. I am hopeful that the non-matched orphans can find loving homes quickly here in the U.S.

Josefina H.
Delaware, USA

Josefina H. in Delaware writes:

we have a three bedroom home in DE Our hame i full of love and fun. We would like to adopt Haitian child please send me information

rozanne j.

Rozanne J. in Florida writes:

Hi, my mane is rozanne i would like to adopt a child from Haiti.Please let me know how or sent me some information. Thank you

shauna o.

Shauna O. in Florida writes:

i would really like to provide foster care for children in haiti, but i have am not a foster parent, and i don't know how to become one. also i don't know if my home is large enough, but my heart is.

Rachid I.
Wisconsin, USA

Rachid I. in Wisconsin writes:

I would like to offer help in Haiti, I do speak french and have some basic training in rescue.

My family would to love to foster an orphan.