A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

alfonso s.

Alfonso S. in Florida writes:

I AM A CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTOR IN FLORIDA I WILL LIKE TO KNOW HOW I CAN HELP IN HAITI.
MI CONTACT INFORMATION IS THIS.

Tiffany W.
Michigan, USA

Tiffany W. in Michigan writes:

We would love to open our home to children in need of either temporary or a permenent home. Please send us any information on how we can do this. We are a wonderful family with lots of extra love to share. Please let us help!
I am also willing to travel to help in the relief effort.

cynthia a.

Cynthia A. in Florida writes:

hi i sale gasoline in the state of florida i would like to know how can i sale gasoline to the goverment in haiti.

Debra

Debra in California writes:

Like everyone else we have donated money but would like to do more. I have a history as a EMT but am not certified at this time. I also have communications history as a dispatcher in the medical field and a variety of others. I feel the need to be there and help. My family and I would also be open to foster care and help out with the children. Please allow us to help. God Bless.

GLORIA B.

Gloria B. in California writes:

Good Morning,

My name is Gloria Ann B., I have been a volunteer with the American Red Cross and I deployed to two hurricane humitarian assist requests of me, I deployed to Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Ike. I am a Single Parent with Heart to help in Haiti Relief Efforts, Can Receive Children into my home, My five Children are all grown and married out of my home. I recently retired from employment with the State of California and I am 58 years of age. My have a lot of years to give towards helping with the massive need that the children that are now unable to take care of themselves, because of the loss of their parents and I am ready to start whatever proceeding necessary to be able to receive children. I am available for deployment to Haiti to help with the American Red Cross Headquarters, with data entry of Staff and computer needs if necessary.
With the massive need of help for the many precious children who are earthquake victims that are now orphaned, and with my heart to help, I believe I can be of blessing to the children and them to me. I am ready to serve and allow the children to once again have a life of joy, no matter how long it will take for them to achieve that level of happiness in their lives again. I am also ready to serve in Haiti with the American Red Cross if needed, and IF, I am unable to bring any of the children here to my home. I heard the eleven year old girl, screaming in pain, today, where Dr. Sanjay Gupta visited the hospital where she is being treated and my heart hurt badly for her and all those children that are enduring the same type of anguish and pain and I can no longer sit on the sideline and do nothing, when I have so much love, patience and compassion to give to the children. I would like to be of help and again, I am ready to go through any processes it will take for me to do so.

Natacha G.

Natacha G. in U.S.A. writes:

My 2 children have already been aproved to join me their mom in the USA. now we have this disaster how can i get my kids to come to USA and finish the process here.

Ann

Ann in Florida writes:

My husband and I would like to open our heart,our home to adopt a child from haiti(0-12months)let us know what we need to do in order to help.

Steven D.

Steven D. in Virginia writes:

yes i was wonderin how to be of assistance to helping in Haiti. im not in the medical field, but i am a hard worker in construction. if any help is needed finding the lost, or cleaning uo, or helping rebuild, please let me know...

Margaret B.

Margaret B. in Florida writes:

I am a US citizen and Hainng a sibling in Haiti Who totaly lost his house and family members , now he lives on the street with his wife and children .I stay in a big house with six bedrooms , if possible they let come to stay with me on nonimmigrant visa ant I am willing to pay for their expenses.Answer please. Thank you.

Traci
Nebraska, USA

Traci S. in Nebraska writes:

I would love to help house any of the children that need a home. I love all ages. I cant have kids due to endometriosis and I love to help out those less fortunate so I have been doing foster care for 10+ years. I would love to open my home for short or long term. I am in Nebraska and could care for a sibbling strip of up to 3. Please pass my name and contact information along as well. I am willing to travel to pick the children up or pay to have them transported to NE.
I understand the importance of the emotional and mental challenges that these kids will more than likely face such as ptsd, and other mental illnesses, I have worked with kids and adults with emotional and behavioral differences for about 20 years now.

I would also be willing to volunteer in Haiti if someone can give me some information ASAP that would be great.
Thanks Traci S.

Alexandra
Texas, USA

Alexandra in Texas writes:

My husband and I would love to help a child by giving them a place to live in the US. I have a 3 bedroom home. I have 1 empty bedroom available. I feel sad for everything that has been happening to the people of Haiti. I am parying for all of you. If someone can please provide me with information; in regards of helping a child that lost his or her parents, find a home.

Franklin B.

Franklin B. in Virginia writes:

Does anyone know if any programs have been established where American families in the US can provide temporary foster homes for displaced Haitian children until permanent homes are found, or their families are found.

Deborah K.
Connecticut, USA

Deborah and David K. in Connecticut write:

My husband and I would be very interested in offering our electrical and construction services in Haiti. Are there any organizations going to help that we could get involved in? Also, I would like information on how to foster or adopt a Haitian child.

Avihs W.
Georgia, USA

Avihs W. in Georgia writes:

Hi, I am a 41 yr old single mother that raised 5 children of my own. 2 are grown and only 3 teenagers are at home. I dont see why it would be a problem, to aid in the help of a couple more kids thats in need of a temporary family. I would be more than happy to welcome the orphans in my home.

Morgan V.
North Carolina, USA

Morgan V.S. in North Carolina writes:

I would like to open my home to anyone I can from Haiti who needs a place to stay while getting medical treatment or getting back on their feet. I work as the sole patient advocate at the hospital here in Wilmington and have resources to assist in obtaining quality care. Or I am willing to simply house someone or a family, anyone really, until it is safe for them to go back to Haiti.

JULIE C.
Montana, USA

Julie H. in Montana writes:

PLEASE HELP HILARY OUR KIDS ARE AT THE EMBASSY WITH OUR ORPHANAGE DIRECTOR. USCIS HAS ALL OF OUR FAMILIES ON THE LIST. THEY ARE THERER AND IN 90 DEGREE NO TENTS HELP WE WANT OUR KIDS OUT EMBASSY DONT RESPOND BY PHONE OR EMAIL PLEASE GOD HELP ANYONE

timothy s.
Pennsylvania, USA

Timothy S. in Pennsylvania writes:

My wife and I have adopted children in the past and are wanting to help. We would like to provide anything from temporary or long term or life long placement for a child. Please let us help.

M. M.
Utah, USA

M. M. in Utah writes:

We would like to foster and or adopt Haitian siblings (2). Please let us know how we can help.

david b.
Michigan, USA

David B. in Michigan writes:

my wife and i would be interested in adopting a child from haiti , we are a stable home , been married for 20 yrs, have one daughter 12 yrs old. we live in michigan please send me information on how to go about this . thank you david brown

Marie M.
Massachusetts, USA
January 25, 2010

Marie N. M. in Massachusetts writes:

I am a 40 yrs old, single mother raising 3 children of my own.One is 18, 15and a 6 yrs old.I am a student at Roxbury community college, i would like to ask you a big favor my family are very smart, most of them are finish with college and are able to work and help Haiti. I wonder if you can help me to bring my mom and my dad here and i promise i will take care of them. I am pretty sure if my mom was here with me i will have someone to watch the younger kids when im at work and my older daughter is at school. I will also be able to take care of my bills better beacause i will be able to work more. I will also be able to help my other family and friends who are leaving on the streets in Haiti. And i will be able to help more with Haiti. I will be able travel to Haiti more easily to help out over there.

Jerry L.
Pennsylvania, USA

Dr. Jerry L. in Pennsylvania writes:

I am an Emergency Room physician and would
like to help in Haiti in association with the
U.S. government. How can I do this?

Amy S.
Arizona, USA
January 25, 2010

Amy S. in Arizona writes:

My family - husband, daughter (13) and son (8) would love more than anything to open our homes to a displaced adolescent from Haiti. Please let us know how we can begin the process to help make a difference in the life of a child. We are a stable, loving, faith-filled family with much to offer - peace, shelter, security, fun, family, love....

Please advise.

The S. Family
Gilbert, AZ

natalie f.
Maryland, USA
January 25, 2010

Natalie F. in Maryland writes:

how cant i adpot a family member from haiti

Erica K.
Indiana, USA
January 25, 2010

Erica K. in Indiana writes:

Hello!

Does anyone have any information on how to shelter the displaced children from Haiti? I would love to bring them all home with me but I know that is not an option. I would like to adopt or at the very least open my home to some of these children. I work from home and have a very secure and stable job. I have no debt, I own my home free and clear, I have wonderful medical insurance. I am 33 and my heart aches to have little ones in my home. I have a 9 year old son and I am willing to do anything I can to help these children.

Can anyone help me?

Erica K.

MaryJo N.
Utah, USA
January 25, 2010

MaryJo N. in Utah writes:

My husband and 2 daughters would love to open our home for the children of Haiti. Please contact us. Please! Thank You

Lisa F.
Nebraska, USA
January 25, 2010

Lisa F. in Nebraska writes:

We have tried getting information on how to help the orphans from Haiti and can't seem to get any answers. Does anyone out there know of where to sign up to help the ones coming into the United States? We have a loving home and would welcome one for a short or long term. Please anyone with information share it. We would truly appreciate it. Thanks Lisa and Mike

Gina C.
January 25, 2010

Gina C. in Florida writes:

I Was born in haiti my parent brough me to US at age 11, I know exacly what the orphan are going through, my husband and I have three kids two boys one girl their age are 13,10 and 8 soon to be nine we will love to help by adopting a girl please let us know the process. Thank you, Gina

michael c.
Haiti
January 25, 2010

Michael I. C. writes:

i have two excavtors and a wheel loader with operators that could go to haitl to help who do you contact to see if this possable Thanks mike

Shirley J.
January 25, 2010

Shirley J. in Florida writes:

Our country has always helped other countries in disastrous times, HOWEVER, OUR COUNTRY is suffering a disaster.

I have always donated to causes during the years, BUT, I think we need to concentrate on our country for a change. People are unemployed and can not find jobs, people are losing their homes, cars, etc. We have no health ins, people don't know where they are going to be living in 2-3 months.

WHAT ABOUT US?????????????????

Gary
Indiana, USA
January 25, 2010

Gary in Indiana writes:

My wife and I would love to adopt or foster a orphan child from Haiti What could we do to help?