A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Jackie O.

Jackie O. in California writes:

My husband and I would like to help in fostering a Haitian child in our home. We would love to open our hearts and our home to an orphaned child that is obviously in need. If anyone knows how we can become involved please let me know.

Rhonda R.

Rhonda R. in California writes:

We would love to open our home to a child I have no idea where to begin please send any information available to help this process, those children need us NOW!

kyle s.
Indiana, USA

Kyle S. in Indiana writes:

we would like to give one or two children a home we have a big home and lots of love to give to a child if we can help let us know

Barbara T.

Barbara T. in California writes:

I am a licensed vocational nurse. I am 56 years old, currently working as a home health nurse, but I have many years experience in crisis end of life. I worked for ARC tissue doanation, working with bereved families also I have extensive hospice experience. I have an opportunity to go and work for free and would love to. My license is current and I have a passport.

TK
Georgia, USA

TK in Georgia writes:

My heart goes out to the people of Haiti and I would like to open my home to a child/children. Please email me information.

Nancy W.
Wisconsin, USA

Nancy W. in Wisconsin writes:

My husband and I would love to foster a Haitian orphan until a loving family is available. We have adult children so we are not looking to adopt, but we would be willing to give our love and care to a child in need for the short term. Please let us know if we can be of any help.

Krystal B.

Krystal B. writes:

How can we adopt kids from Haiti? I would love to help?

janet r.
Montana, USA

Janet R. in Montana writes:

we would love to open our home to children in need of either temporary or a permenent home. please send us any information on how we can do this. everyone deserves to have someone to love them, we have a wonderful family with lots of extra love to share. please let us help!

Sandra S.
Kentucky, USA

Sandra S. in Kentucky writes:

I learned about taking a child into my home at a local Head Start parent meeting today. I have a 6 bd house and am interested in taking sibblings/2-4 children. I understand they come into Lexington, Ky weekly. Thanks for your concern.

Mary R.

Mary Ann R. in New York writes:

I am a 57 year old Special Educator at The School of the Arts, in Rochester, NY. I am interested in fostering two Haitian orphans in my home. I am an empty nester, with 2 extra bedrooms, ample finances, and a big heart waiting to love and provide. I do not know who I should contact to begin this process.

Mike M.
North Carolina, USA

Mike M. in North Carolina writes:

My wife and I want to help. I am special education teacher and she is a nurse. It tears our hearts out to see these people desparate for support. There are hundreds of people in the United States wanting to help. We want to open our home to these people. How can we do that??? What do we need to do?

Renette J.

Renette J. in Florida writes:

I'm an American citizen, and I have a sibling in Haiti whose house has been destroyed by the earthquake.I'd like to know if there's a possibility to bring him to States with me although he does not have a visa. He really needs my help; I'm all he's got at point. Please advise.

Renette J

Shaw
Texas, USA

Shaw in Texas writes:

I would love to provide mother love, care and nurture to a child from Haiti. Does anyone know if we have to go through all the adoption process before being considered as an adoptive parent?

Elfi L.
Illinois, USA

Elfi L. in Illinois writes:

How can I foster or adopt a Haitian child in desperate need. My husband and I would love to help and open our hearts and home. Can someone please advise for the procedure?

jeffrey u.

Jeffrey U. in Washington writes:

I am a renewable energy system designer & installer with 20 years of experience. I have also formed two non profits and organized many events with corporate nd government sponsorships as key financial partners. I am interested in building solar power generation systems for immediate and long term use in Haiti.
Is anyone currently working on this? Where could I get information on the type of loads that might need to be powered? Is there an anticipated time frame where this type of relief would not interfere with the distribution of food, water and medical aid?
Jeffrey U.

Crystal

Crystal in California writes:

ike many other Americans, we have room to adopt a couple children and want to help. It looks like a complicated process. Is there anyone we should petition to find a way to streamline the process even if all of us can serve as temporary foster homes, that is still better than nothing. I'm sure everyone hopes that parents and relatives will be found but at least let us help the children now.

Michele Y.

Michele Y. in Washington writes:

My husband and I are interested in fostering or adopting a Haitian child in need. let us know how we can help....

David C.
Tennessee, USA

David L. C. in Tennessee writes:

I am a certified nursing assistant. I have worked in rehabilitation hospitals and long term care facilities; with the addition to home health/homemaker services, and private duty care. My family also owned a construction bussiness in masonary and drywalling. I am wondering if it is possible if the United States of America could use my help in Haiti? I would be willing to go there and help out with any medical necessities, search and rescue, and recovery missions. I would also be willing to stay and help rebuild the country. I have the experience where things are needed. Please let me know how I can help. I haven't no money; however, I have plenty of time on my hands.
David L. C.

vincent m.
Nevada, USA

Vincent M. in Nevada writes:

i also have been looking for info in las vegas nv. to volunteer in haiti- lic. emt-mast, s&r. can you get this info to me? vince

Jodi D.
Nebraska, USA

Jodi D. in Nebraska writes:

Like so many others, my husband and I would also like to adopt or provide a temporary foster home to a haitian child or children.
I'm interested to see if all of the important questions below will be answered so that we can understand the process of how to go about providing immediate help.

Jason H.
Texas, USA

Jason H. in Texas writes:

My family and i would like to help in any way possible. We would be more than willing to help by providing a temporary home for a child or children.

I also was looking for information on how i could volunteer in Haiti. Please let me know asap.

Thanks,
Jason

Lucy A.
January 22, 2010

Lucy A. in Florida writes:

My husband and I have 3 kids, of which already are in college and in the Army. Its has never before cross our minds to adopt a baby, until my son Danny, who it's an American Army soldier called me and said how wonderfull his life has been, just because he had me in his life and he new I would always be there for him. My husband and I are still young and we have a beautiful home. We work veery hard, but we have plenty of time and love to give to a kid in need. Pleaseeeee, send me any information you have about the adoption process. Thanks.!!!!

deborah
Oklahoma, USA
January 22, 2010

Deborah in Oklahoma writes:

im a mother of 5 children my husband and i like to adopt a child from the haiti children we love to bring a baby or child into are loveing home if we can help any way let us no asap!!!!! thks

Barbara S.
January 22, 2010

Barbara S. in New York writes:

I am a single woman off 44 yrs. young. I have raised four of my own children and would love the opportunity to help with the children either foster care or adoption. Although Adoption would be my most favored position. Please tell me how I can go about becoming useful in this capacity. It would be a great honor. God Bless you all Haitian children and families who are suffering. May the Angels come and keep you safe.

daniela
January 22, 2010

Daniela writes:

EVERYONE HELP HAITI! NOW!!

Mary F.
Georgia

Mary Jo F. in Georgia writes:

I would like to donate myself. I am not a medical professional which I know would be ideal however I am hard worker and grunt if you will. Is there any kind of non military organiztion that the U.S. is spearheading. I am a 57 year old female. I would think there would be many people such as myself that would like to help. I understand that it would create some red tape to send non military personnel but perhaps there would be people at home willing to volunteer their efforts in that regard.

Sincerley
Mary Jo

David L.

David L. in Virginia writes:

I am a master plumber, hvac and gas fitter and would like to know how I could donate services that I am capable of doing once the area is designated for rebuilding and past the point of cash donations where actual knowledge, labor and people can help.

Thank you.

Kristie D.
Illinois, USA
January 22, 2010

Kristie D. in Illinois writes:

I would like to open my home to children of hati that need help. We have a nice home and a lot of space, it is just myself and my 8 year old son. I would love to make a differnece to someone else.

Kristie

Deny R.
January 22, 2010

Deny R. in Florida writes:

I am appauled at our government. I work with a couple, Mannuea and Evena Jean_Charles, they are hard working US Citizens. They have 3 children in Haiti, from our State Department, by email and via telephone the children, after sending all the information, were told to make there way to the Airport in Port au Prince. Once there the children, one injured with 2 broken legs, were turned away and not allowed to enter the airport. With that we went to the Haitian Consulate inOrlando, no help. The worst was the visit to Immigration in Orlando. Now in the mist of disaester you give instruction to HELPLESS CHILDREN, and then they are left. We are bringing in ORPHANes...these children have parents here...it is sickining...to watch them, my friends, coworkers have faith in our Goverment ...only for us to fail them....

Katy S.
January 22, 2010

Katy S. in Virginia writes:

I am a English teacher and reading specialist, I am interested in hearing how to help. My husband and I have donated money to the Red Cross but would like to do whatever is needed to help. We are interested in helping set up the education system when ready. WE would also like to find out how to go about fostering or adopting a child from Haiti.