A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Amy M.
Wisconsin, USA

Amy M. in Wisconsin writes:

Our hearts are pouring over the thought of all these parentless children. We have the means to foster or adopt a child in need. Please send us information to help. Thank you.

Carolina Z.
New Jersey, USA

Carolina Z. in New Jersey writes:

I am a single mother of 2 girls and i am welcome on accepting home any of this child until they find their parents or any family member claimming for them. If nobody i am welcome on keeping it as my own too. We don't know why if there is many of this children without a home right now you down relocated them with all this families temporary. They need us, As we need to help them doing something. Please Do something and quickly.
ty. contact me if any info

Pierre

Pierre in Washington writes:

I am born and raised in Haiti. My family contacts me hungry and scared. They want to come stay with me. I am an american citizen and currently serving my 9th year in the US Navy. How do I bring my family here? They need us. They need me ! What do I do? Please help. Pierre

nikki

Nikki writes:

i hope that most of them made it and get pass the pain of there love ones begin killed

Jennifer
Louisiana, USA

Jennifer in Louisiana writes:

MY FAMILY WOULD LIKE TO OPEN OUR HOME TO A HAITIAN CHILD. PLEASE LET US HELP. WE WENT THROUGH HURRICANE KATRINA IN ST. BERNARD PARISH AND KNOW FIRST HAND HOW DEVASTATION DAMAGES THESE CHILDREN. THEY NEED TO BE PLACED IMMEDIATELY INTO STABLE AND LOVE FILLED HOMES TO ENSURE THEIR MENTAL AND PHYSICAL WELL BEING. I OWNED AND OPERATED A DAYCARE CENTER IN LA PRIOR TO HURRICANE KATRINA AND AM MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP THESE CHILDREN. PLEASE DO CONTACT ME.

lisa e.
Texas, USA

Lisa E. in Texas writes:

we would love to help a child by taking them in until their family has been found or adopt if they are not we have other adopted children just dont know how to help in this case could someone let us know thanks

Melanie E.
North Carolina, USA

Melanie E. in North Carolina writes:

My husband and I would like to help in fostering a Haitian child in our home. We both have full time jobs and lots of family around us. We would love to open our hearts and our home to an orphaned child that is obviously in need. If anyone knows how we can become involved please let me know. Like someone said earlier in a post, do thorough background checks, and lets skip the red tape and help these children. Isnt that what America is about?

Lourdes R.

Lourdes R. in Florida writes:

I would love to provide mother love, care and nurture to a child from Haiti. Does anyone know if we have to go through all the adoption process before being considered as an adoptive parent?

Ashley C.
Texas, USA

Ashley C. in Texas writes:

I would like to open my home to foster or adopt a Hatian child, please let me know how I can help.

tandi s.
Ohio, USA

Tandi S. in Ohio writes:

we would love to open our home to some Haiti orphans till they have a home.

Keri S.

Keri S. in New York writes:

Our family would like to open our home to a child, or children, affected by this disaster either temporarily or permanently. Please email information. Thank you.

laura k.

Laura K. in New York writes:

My family would like to open our home to a haitian child, who do we contact to be matched up with a orphan?

Cara N.

Cara N. in Florida writes:

My husband and I have three children, and as a family we would love to open our home to a child for foster care and possible adoption, please let us know how we can help.

Maria A.

Maria A. in New York writes:

My one suggestion is send construction aid to Dominican Republic to repair, rebuild the connecting roads to Haiti. Make another air landing strip away from point of crisis.

Mari-Catherine
Utah, USA

Mari-Catherine in Utah writes:

We like many others would like to adopt a child who is left without family due to this horrible disaster. How can we get the Government to make the changes and take down the red tape so the children can be adopted as soon as possible and not spend years in the orphanages waiting to be given a loving family. Please send me any information I need to help this process and possibly bring home a child.

Will

Will in Florida writes:

all right we all know that Hati is a doomed piece of property, so why don't we just let them use the donations to immigrate to other countries around the world, and also the us ! at least the people would spread the wealth and perhaps open some new diverse ways of living! like jobs and such!i mean 275 million dollars for 7 million people,what are we going to do make a paradise out of badly wounded piece of earth, that has never been stable! at least thats what you folks have told us! put the money back into the economy around the world instead trying to repair a wretched piece of ground, where everything weave done has failed to help. spending of the money will never be done properly! with in that country and its leaders! we let ronald regan give money to to india people and now they have migrated to the us, and at least put money back into the economy. and why does'nt the phone companies donate there services. seems as though everytime we help some other country we get taken by big buisness.PS i know this will never be seen edited or not but people are tired of helping people who will not help them selves

Kathi N.
Ohio, USA

Kathi N. in Ohio writes:

My Husband and I would love also to open our home to one or siblings of Haiti. Who or how do we start the adoption process for these orphan childern? We are very familiar with the process because we adopted my daughter from Guatemala in 2003.
Kathi

& K.
Indiana, USA

Mr. and Mrs. V. K. in Indiana write:

We are interested in taking in some orphans from the earthquake in Haiti and wondering how to find out about this, we heard that Indiana may be a possibility of them sending some orphans. Hope to hear something about this. We are Christians and wanted to do something to help. Thank you it is so sad what has happened and wish we could do something to help. Financially we did send some money but would like to help some children. God Bless

Karen K.

Karen K. in Virginia writes:

My family would be very interested in opening our home to a child.. Could you please forward information to my eamil account.

We have been considering adoption for a long time and feel that this is the right time.... We have one child and would love to have a sibling.

Thomas H.
Maryland, USA

Thomas H. in Maryland writes:

I am the owner of a company that manufactures and rents tents. I would be willing to donate some tents to the victims in Haiti.

Tina D.
Indiana, USA

Tina D. in Indiana writes:

We would love to open our home for possible adoption. We have one son and are definitely open to helping children. We realize at some point these children may need to and want to go back home but we would love the opportunity to help them until that time is right.

Who do we contact to be able to do this?

Thanks

Jennifer

Jennifer in Virginia writes:

If there will be future information on adoption in Haiti for displaced children, please let me know. I know everyone is saying they need to wait, but it's a shame to wait to long. My hope is you can make such adoption available as these wonderful children have been through so much. If there is any future information, please let me know. Thank you and God Bless the children and everyone in Haiti.

marie j.

Marie J. in New York writes:

My husband and I are in the process of adopting a little boy from Haiti since 2008. With this current situation, I am asking for guidance. Can I just go to Haiti with the paperwork that I have up to date and go to the US embassy to get him?
I would also love to take a little girl about the same age range so they both can grow up together.
Please advise
Sincerely
Marie

Martha P.
Illinois, USA

Martha P. in Illinois writes:

We also would like to offer our home to a Haitian orphan. We have the faith, love, and financial resources to help a child. We have raised four of our own and believe that God would aid us in raising another. Please advise us as to how to accomplish this. Thank you.

Maria G.

Maria G. in Florida writes:

I will like to get information on how when we be able to get info on helping one of the child in the disaster in Haiti, this kids need our hel now. I am interesting in either fostering or adopting I do not have any kids of my own I am married own my house and have room for a child in need especially from this disaster. Thank you

Ivey V.
Georgia

Ivey V. in Georgia writes:

My husband, 2 children, and I are very interested in adopting from Haiti. I've seen the messages that others have left asking for information or guidance about what to do. Please pass any information on to us!

Babette

Babette in Florida writes:

My father lives in Haiti with my brother and his family. My father has prostate cancer, he was hospitalized the monday before the earthquake, and he was scheduled for surgery on the 13th. After the earthquake on tuesday, all the doctors and nurses left the hospital. My father has no choice, but to leave the hospital also. Now he is home in pain, weaken by the lost urine which he cant control, dehydrated. My brother and his wife are doing as much as they could to help him. I just spoke with my father, he sounded weak, he told me he doesnt think that he will make it until next week.
Everywhere I called for help they told me that he is not a priority at the moment. My father is not an American citizen, nor hold an American visa, he is not injured, but doesnt have a home. I need help. I am about to have a nervous breakdown, because I cant help him, I cant help them.

Joe G.

Joe G. writes:

I would love to welcome a Hatian child into my life and home for foster care or for possible adoption if no family can be located, please let me know how I can help.

stacey
Rhode Island, USA

Stacey in Rhode Island writes:

please if anyone out there knows how to or could supply information to my and my fiance of 10 years to take in a child from haiti please send info we have 4 children between us and 3 granchildren we would love to take in a child as we cant have children of our own we have a great loving home with lots of love to give please if anyone out there knows how to help send me info that would be great

Jennifer V.
Arkansas, USA

Jennifer V. in Arkansas writes:

My husband and I would love to adopt a child from Haiti. Please email me any information about how to do this.