A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

James
Nebraska, USA
January 19, 2010

Able-bodied man able to travel immediately to Haiti to assist with search and rescue/recovery. Psychological support experience. Team building, training and coaching experience. Provide support to people of all ages including small children/babies. Will do anything to help in this tragedy. Don't hesitate to contact me.

michelle.diskin1@yahoo.com
Pennsylvania, USA

Michelle in Pennsylvania writes:

I have been unemployed since August and haven't cared because I feel at the age of 37 I want to make a difference. I need the to go to haiti to help as much as they need me. I don't want to be selfish but please let me help!!!!!!!

julie
Oregon, USA

Julie in Oregon writes:

We are a loving family of 5 wanting so badly to bring an infant or toddler/young boy into our loving home. I have no idea where to start. Would love to find a list where I could be considered for this. God Bless Haiti

Joshua G.
Nebraska, USA

Joshua M. G. in Nebraska writes:

Greetings,

I would like to take a moment to offer my assistance . . . I have several weeks of vacation time stored up - and would be quite eager to help. Please feel free to contact me.

damon m.
Wisconsin, USA

Damon M. in Wisconsin writes:

I am a strapping 29 year old male with Haitian relatives. I have little finances to contribute, but I want to be there to help clean up the rubble. I was a boyscout from the age of 6 to 18. I am not in the military or involved with any humanitarian agency. I will send what I can financially, but I need to get there in person to help. The amount of physical distruction that I have seen to date on the news is horrendous. Haiti needs manpower to help clear the destroyed building. I have a strong back a pair of work gloves and a strong desire to get there in person to help. Money helps, but it won't lift concrete structures off people with little time left to survive without help. I wish to fly into the dominican republic and get to Haiti however I can. I know man power is needed to help save as many lives as possible. I currently have been unemployed since April and I live on $50 a week. To the best of my knowledge a plane ticket costs what I bring in in about a month. If I could catch a ride with any plane to haiti or the dominican republic, I will work for free. I personally own 3 8 man tents and would be happy to donate those to the effort. Money helps but people and feet on the ground can make just as much of a difference. I am not looking for a vacation, if someone can help me get there I will work till the job is done for free. I have emergency survival training, I was a boyscout for over 12 years. People with the training to assist are desperately needed, and my soul cries out for me to get there. If some organization can bring in people to help, count me in. I will work for free, for as long as it takes to make things right. I wish I could offer more support financially, but all i can really offer is sweat equity. As to date I have no obligations here and know that I would best be able to support on the ground in Haiti. I can walk there from the dominican republic, and I want to do whatever I can do to help. This is not a political issue, it is a humanitarian issue. As a self proclaimed humanitarian I need to get there to help. Someone help me find the outlet so that I can get there to help the people of Haiti.

Paul W.
Arizona, USA

Paul W. in Arizona writes:

I like to say right off I am Praying for ever One over there. I am Looking in to Trying to fine away I can Help out over there. I want to go over and help in the rebuild ?

Jennifer M.

Jennifer M. in Florida writes:

I would love to open my home & my heart to children of Haiti that need a safe place to live. I am just not sure how let the right people know.

Robin W.
China

Robin W. in China writes:

I am an American Citizen currently living in China on a two-year work assignment (my husband is actually on the assignment, I do not work outside our home) and I would like to enquire as to how I can help with the orphans of Haiti. I am willing to travel to Haiti and help in any way I can i.e. volunteer my time in the orphanages, etc. I would be available to help for the next 10-12 months. Please let me know if I can help in this way.

Yvette

Yvette in California writes:

Hi,

Mother of two daughters ages 5 & 3. My prayers go out to families devastated by this earthquake. We would like to donate clothing and we want to make sure it reaches the small children of Haiti. Please help me us make this possible. Red cross?

Soul of Christ Sactify them
passion of Christ give them stength
soul of Christ save them
with in your wounds hide them
separated from you let them never be.

Claudette A.

Claudette A. in New York writes:

Good morning,
My 12 years old son is in Haiti I am worry, I heard from them, I do not know if he as food. Please HELP me bring him to NY his name is Kyle A. A. his Adoption paper is in process I got the Home sturdy report done Please HELP!!!
my heart is pain to see my peoples suffering like that, may God Bless all the people in Haiti May God bless the united State of America for helping us in Haiti
Some of my families are heard, I have my aunty and some of my cousins and their children I have not hear from God Bless thank you

harold
Colorado, USA

Harold in Colorado writes:

I'm a US Army trained combat medic and nurse seaking to provide ground support in Haiti. I haved tried the Red Cross with no luck...they dont need people... omg this country needs to get its head out of its backside and take the help its offered in situations like this. If the State Dept has any pull i'd be happy to help out.

DALIA C.
Texas, USA

Dalia C. in Texas writes:

IAM MEDICAL ASSISTANT ,WILLING TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN,READY TO GO ANYTIME,PLEASE LET ME HELP.

DALIA

Issa S.
North Carolina, USA

Issa S. in North Carolina writes:

Hi, my name is Issa and I am ready to volontuer in Haiti. I have made a donnation via cell phone. But I just think that alot more can be done if the other powerful nations and their people did the same thing the USA is doing. I really want to go in Haiti to help these desperate people in need, to let them know the world is with them.
I am currently unemployed, I think that I can give my time to help. I am fluent in french. Please let me know how to volontuer.

Steven R.
Michigan, USA

Steven R. in Michigan writes:

Im am the owner of C&S Erectors and would like to help in the demo and rebuilding in Haiti

glenn n.
Ohio, USA

Glenn N. in Ohio writes:

frist of all i would like to know how come these people did'nt get a warning from the goverment or the people that study these kinds of things. that there was a chance that it was going to be a a quake did't anybody know this .who study's the movement of these earthquake's by the way i am unemployed at this time but if you have any need for help over ther i would be willing to go and help i have skill's in most every contruction feild there is .please respond. thank you

JF

J.F. in Virginia writes:

Hi,

My husband and I are a young couple who wish to go help out in any way possible in Haiti. We are both in great health and we are recent graduates from the College of William and Mary. We are willing to do physical and/or administrative work in this country. Please contact us if you have any information on how we can get involved.

Thanks

Natali C.
January 18, 2010

Natali in Florida writes:

Hi my names Natali , i am 17 years old under me i see alot of questions and no answers so here it goes.

- ANY ONE WHO WANTS TO DONATE FOOD OR ANYTHING OF THAT SORT CANTACT THE RED CROSS.

* GO TO THE AMERICANREDCROOS.COM AND ENTER YOUR ZIP CODE AND IT WILL GIVE YOU THE CLOSEST RED CROSS LACATED TO YOU.

OR YOU CAN "YELE" TO 501501 AND IT WILL DONATE $5 TO HAITI RELEAF. THE MONEY WILL COME STRAIGHT FROM YOUR PHONE BILL. ITS FAST AND EASY TO DO.

IT'S A REALLY GOOD THING TO SEE ALL OF YOU , TRYING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE ! WE CAN ALL GIVE A LITTLE BIT DOESNT HAVE TO BE ANYTHING MAJOR. AS CORNY AS IT SOUNDS ONE OF US CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE !

ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME.

- GOD BLESS.

Dave R.
January 17, 2010

Dave R. in Virginia writes:

I really think the situation for the many orphans in Haiti is so dire, that if they are not evacuated as soon as humanly possible, many will die needlessly. Lika many others responding on this blog, I would gladly open my home to one or more orphans on a temporary or even permanent (adoption) basis. Please, Secretary Clinton, let's help these children now, and worry about the legalities later.

David
Texas, USA
January 18, 2010

David in Texas writes:

After reading news article after news article concerning the earthquake in Haiti and becoming more and more concerned with the aid situation I wanted to add my two cents towards what I consider a strong relief aid option.

Considering most young people in the United States would like to help out the Haitian community but lack the economic ability to do so I had come up with an idea that would involve Universities and financial aid loan companies.

I am proposing anyone interested in going to Haiti to help rebuild communities along side the Haitians would invest a minimum of two thousand dollars for various supplies, medication, food, water etc. Then after taking part
in the indivduals time in the country say one week, two weeks (whatever is agreed upon), the students involved would recieve a waiver towards thier student loans. So lets say I was to spend two weeks helping a community in Haiti and I donated two thousand dollars I would then be eligible for lets say maybe a three or four thousand dollar waiver towards my student loans. This surely would benefit the Haitians and those trying to make a difference. If you could help me get this idea to those with the power to make something like this possible.

Christopher M.
Arizona, USA
January 17, 2010

Christopher M. in Arizona writes:

I am an experienced heavy equipment operator. Where do I go to sign up to assist in this crisis?

HELP H.

Help Haiti in Florida writes:

FOR THOSE WANTING TO DONATE AND PROVIDE VOLUNTEER SERVICES FOR HAITI,PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING LINK IT IS TO THE CENTERS FOR DISASTER INFORMATION:

also you can visit www.nvoad.org (NATIONAL VOLUNTARY ORGANIZATION ACTIVE FOR DISASTER)

Don G.
January 16, 2010

Don G. in Virginia writes:

Using social networking contacts is a good way to help others learn how to donate. I would be interested in learning how US Embassy staff are doing now. Early on we did read about the death of Victoria DeLong and our prayers go out to her soul in heaven, and to her family. Please let us know how other American and Local Embassy staff, and their families, are fairing in this emergency situation. Also, news on what they are able to do now and what they need. Particularly, what can be done for the Haitian chilcren now. Thanks!

aimee h.
Wisconsin, USA
January 17, 2010

Aimee H. in Wisconsin writes:

i want to go help too. i am not much help in medicine or engineering but i have a heart of gold and these people need anything. if anyone knows of organized groups, or unorganized for that matter, or have done this type of thing in the past (say, Katrina) please email me or post here. it hurts so bad to watch this go on and be far away. peace peace peace peace peace

Paulo b.
January 17, 2010

Paulo B. in California writes:

I am unemployed right now and would like to go help !! I speak French,Spanish and Portuguese as well and can do anything.. If anybody has any info on how i can do it,, please email me.

Hayla
Texas, USA
January 17, 2010

Hayla in Texas writes:

I am 19 years old and I would love to help in anyway I can. I want to go to Haiti, maybe help hand out supplies or take care of the children without families. If anyone can get back to me on how I can help that would be great. I don't just want to give money, I want to be another helping hand there in Haiti.

Thanks, Hayla

Louis J.
New Jersey, USA
January 17, 2010

Louis J. in New Jersey writes:

Hi- Iwould like to volunteer for a month. I am Haitian Born US Citizen, I speak creole,french, english, USAF Veteran. I am a food srevice director presently working for ARAMARK and feed 3000 people daily. I am also a licence practical nurse. I think I can be of good help. I just want to be attached to a credible and organize agency or group on the ground. Please,let me know. Thanks, Louis

Renee R.
Illinois, USA
January 17, 2010

Renee R. in Illinois writes:

I would like to assist the haitiansm, any way possible even to fly over there, please tell how and what I can do. I have no money but my heart hurts and I feel like I should do something.

Zoe B.
January 17, 2010

Zoe B. in California writes:

I've been searching for days on how to help in Haiti. I am only 15 and i know tons of people who want to help. We are not graced with large amounts of money to donate. I would like to help nonetheless. Is there really no way?

Lynn C.
January 17, 2010

Lynn C. in New Mexico writes:

I am a school counselor with Albuquerque Public Schools (APS). Our school counselors want to raise money and other donations for Haitian children and families. We are seeking a national or local sponsor that could assist us in getting these items to Haiti. I visited Haiti

james j.
Pennsylvania, USA
January 16, 2010

James E. in Pennsylvania writes:

there should be ways where folks like myself right know could get there and give hands on help,running machines,skidsters or something to help thesespoor folks