A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Joyce
West Virginia, USA

Joyce in West Virginia writes:

I personally cannot fathom how the people of Haiti must be feeling during this horrible travesty that has been bestowed on them. I have no financial ability to help the people of Haiti but I am currently an unemployed Nurse and I would be willing to donate my time and care to help the devastated people of Haiti, if only I had the opportunity to reach this country during this tragic time I would love to be able to help them.

blood d.

B.D. in California writes:

please visit here to find the nearest place to you for donating blood

Robert G.

Robert G. in California writes:

I have taken a C.E.R.T. Class and have had training with heavy duty equipment such as forklifts, power lifts and various hand power tools. My background is in Video Production but I have experience in fundraising via the American Cancer Society. I want to go to Haiti and help in any way possible! Please contact me

Genesis A.

Genesis A. in New York writes:

if i can get a number in which i can contact someone. Me and mii school are willing to collect cans water bottles blankets and etc... but we a number or something that will let us know were we can drop it off at or if they willing to pick it up....

hope everything goes well they are in my families prayers ; ]

Malden B.
Italy

Malden B. in Italy writes:

Sorry,

Must again write down few words more.Why proposal to do engage US army in more masive manner?

Because it is more ordinate structure due to the comand lined order in the structure and enormously potent human mega machine.In the world in this moment.Air distribution because in this way people of Port au Prince can be taken by them selves out of the city in the planes around.Suppose that there is sorounding teritorry where is posible erect tent vilages. City is becoming each our more dangerous for people surwived because of the infective deseases wich will rapidly grow.

Proposal of US Gov,comeetee for funds arriving from all ower the world for help to Haiti can be in that manner distributed in direct, apsolutely onest and quikly way.World sholuld help to US to help to Hiti because US has a mechanisms.

It is important to reduce to minimum post quake victims of deseases in this urgent moment.

Months later people who lead this world will provide ways to help Haiti in longer terms.

Once I have learned that US citizens helped European alied nations in food suply during the WW2 rationalizing food in their own homes. Therefore you Americans are great human nation and thanks god for it.

Thanks and best regards to all US citizens.

Mr.Malden B.

Courtney

Courtney in California writes:

I am a stay at home mother, so unable to offer my assistance by going down to Haiti, but I would love to open my home to any of the orphans needing a place to stay. I am a Pediatric ICU nurse with training at Johns Hopkins. If there is a way I can be of service, please contact me.

Thank you and God Bless.

wayne

Wayne in California writes:

I am a former us marine (hazmat handler, logistics manager, heavy equipment driver), former medical student, and a licensed general contractor in California. I am fit and able to help.

Call me. I can go tonight.

Wayne

Rick P.
West Virginia, USA

Rick P. in West Virginia writes:

Hello. I have 10 years in the Army including 12 months in Iraq as a combat medic. I have hands on experience in emergency medicine in this type of environment. I would like to go to Haiti to help.

David R.
Illinois, USA

David R. in Illinois writes:

I am a well qualified orthopaedic surgeon, who would like to help care ffor the injured in Haiti, but have no clue of how to join an organized group. Hopefully you can help me help others, David R. M.D.

T. R.
Michigan, USA

T.R. in Michigan writes:

I am a heavy equipment operator that has 2 years experience with hurricane Katrina disaster. I worked with the enviromental clean-up corp. (E.C.C.),and the Army Corp. of Engineers. Please contact me with any info. regarding field operator positions, or field superintendent

DeL
Texas, USA

Del in Texas writes:

Im a 34y Latino unemployed medical assistant that would like to help in any way. Im just sitting home shocked and upset by the pain that the Haitian people are going through.

I text 90999 but want to know if I can do more? Im fortunate to have my little house paid off but felt like I was in bad shape but everything is brought into prospective after seeing the harsh realties of life in this poverish country!

Alan J.
Illinois, USA

Alan J. in Illinois writes:

Would love to help out all of these unfortunate people of Haiti. Am 64 yrs old but of great health. Past U.S. Army Medic ( Viet Nam ) and past corporate company president. please e-mail me I want to go and help physically.

john b.
Indiana, USA

John B. in Indiana writes:

im a heavy eqit.opp.and truck driver will i to help with clean up and rebuild prosses

don h.
Indiana, USA

Don H. in Indiana writes:

im a heavy equit. opp.and truck driver willing to help out with ciean up rebuild

Cara
Massachusetts, USA
January 19, 2010

Cara in Massachusetts writes:

Hi I'm a CNA and home health Aid and I want to help the people in Haiti...How can I do so besides donating? I would like to go down there and help hands on medically.

cassie s.
January 19, 2010

Cassie S. in Florida writes:

Me and my family are so heart broken for all the people in need in Haiti.we have 3 children and we would be more than willing to take in at least 2 more children that no longer have anyone to care for them.These poor babies only need a mommy and daddy to shelter them,feed them and just love them.Please let us know how or who to get ahold of to find out if we can give these babies love and comfort in the u.s. .no matter what it may take.

Aposteriori

Aposteriori in Florida writes:

US Aid and response efforts to this catastropy are commendable. Hope the surviving children of Haiti who are already adopted by US citizens will finally be allowed to come "home" to the US - immediately.

Vincent G.
Colorado, USA
January 19, 2010

I am a Heavy Equitment operator and would like to help in Haiti. Please call me at (970)227-5078 or E-mail me. Thank you

Leroy B.

Leroy B. in Florida writes:

look i have been reading and fine alot of us persons looking to help these people why cant we help why must we sitt and wait while people die? i have a strong back and have a treamendis amount of knoledge with construction and heavey equipment. and so do many people on this site, and medical people willing to go. why do we have to wait? if people want to find funds to go there lets organize and go im ready now.

Nicholas F.
Indiana, USA

Nicholas F. in Indiana writes:

Hello,

My name is Nick. I'm an EMT. I was wondering if there was a way i could physically help in Haiti? I can leave whenever and stay as long as i'm needed. Please let me know, I would love to help anyway I can.

Thanks

Norman T.

Norman T. in California writes:

It's frustrating to hear supplies for Haiti cannot be dropped by parachute because it will cause riots. Give the people some credit and know that there are good people that will do the right thing. Don't make decisions on the basis of the few bad guys.

kurt a.
Thailand

Kurt A. in Thailand writes:

I own a water treatment company in Phuket Thailand, were ready to come at any drop of a hat, and have been threw the tidal wave here, Im a Er doctor as well 25 years in Hawaii

Melinda C.
Maine, USA

Melinda C. in Maine writes:

I would love to help out and give children a place to live or stay with fresh water and food, clothing and shelter....How can I help the Haiti children?

Alex K.
Illinois, USA

Alex K. in Illinois writes:

Why can i be in Punta Cana in 4 hours but it takes relief to get to the other side of the island 3 days? I'm trying to find out how i can help as an electrical contractor that can donate time and effort but not cash. Any ideas?

WHY

W. in Florida writes:

ALL I SEE IS WHY, WHY WHY, THE STATE DEPARTMENT AND OTHER AGENCIES IS DOING THE BEST THEY CAN TO PROVIDE ASSISTANCE IN HAITI, ALL OF THIS TAKES PLANNING AND PATIENCE. IT TAKES MONEY, TIME, AND GATHERING VOLUNTEERS TO HELP ASSIST. THE US GOVERNMENT DOESN'T GET PAID TO REBUILD AND START DISASTER REBUILDING SO WHO IS GOING TO PAY EMPLOYEES THINK ABOUT IT .

Pandy
January 19, 2010

Pandy in California writes:

I would love to adopt a child from Haiti.Why is it so hard to adopt since these poor kids have nothing.These children don't have to die.I would love to help these kids.Give them a home and family.

Pandy
January 19, 2010

Pandy in California writes:

How can I help these children from haiti? Is there any way to adopt.Please give these children a chance.And a family and a home.Im a loving mother that would love to help.

M
January 19, 2010

M. Guia M. C. S. in California writes:

I am an LVN, would like to volunteer in Haiti. Please let me know what to do.

Dave M.
Michigan, USA
January 19, 2010

Dave M. in Michigan writes:

I am a truck driver and very skilled heavy equipment operator, currently part time truck driving. I am willing to go to Haiti and help search and cleanup and rebuild. Is there any way to go there with a search team, and what do I need to do here before going,passport etc?

jessicca
Kentucky, USA
January 19, 2010

Jessica in Kentucky writes:

my thoughts and prayers go out towards the people in haiti. just thinken about how the children are feeling who have lost there family leaves me speachless and heartbroken. i am not a weathy person so i cant give much although i know anything helps so i gave all i could,i just wish there was some way that i could go down there and help out doing what ever is needed, i would love to be able to help please let me know!!! my house will be open for any child or family that needs a place to go.god bless every one that is helping out and most importantly the people of HAITI..