A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Kathie S.

Kathie S. in Florida writes:

I am willing to go to Haiti to assist in medical treatment for people or animal rescue. I was a florida Licensed Paramedic and have emergency medical treatment training. All I need is who to contact. Is there any information for me or is there a need for my skills?

Renee-Camille

Renee-Camille in Florida writes:

My prays go out to all the hatian families over here i know if very diffucult to view the pic and videos and not be able to travel to help anyone ..........

Mary S.
Pennsylvania, USA

Mary S. from Pennsylvania writes:

Dear Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton,

I am writing to voice my concern for the orphans in the Haitian disaster. I fear they will be the last to receive aide, and they already have suffered so much.

I want to raise specific awareness of the orphanage in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Moreover, a wonderful family close to me has for over the last three years been trying to adopt children (Shydlove, Clarry and Kimberly) to join the three children in their family in Idaho.

Lindsay and her Husband Trevor C. have tenaciously stayed in constant contact with their children who are so far away. Lindsay even began working for the orphanage, traveling to Haiti every three months to see her five children and give aide to the 220 others that the orphanage houses. Sadly, one of their Haitian children has already died during the arduous adoption process.

These children, and many more young ones who are in the convoluted adoption nightmare, belong in the safety of the people who have opened their hearts and homes to adopt them. Please keep the orphanages in mind, and I ask that you expedite the process needed to get the children safely home to America to be with their families. Help bring something good from this tragedy.

Thank you for your time and bless you for your efforts!

Megan K.
Pennsylvania, USA

Megan K. in Pennsylvania writes:

Dear Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton,

They have a USCIS 1600 and I71h form for the children.

Thank you for your time and bless you for your efforts!

Sincerely,
Megan K.

Casey O.
Rhode Island, USA

Casey O. in Rhode Island writes:

I'm a second year college student and heading back to campus soon to begin second semester. If I start a drive for clothes, canned food, etc. where can I send the items?

Magalie
January 19, 2010

Magalie in Florida writes:

Dear secretary of state,Hillary Clinton

"DESTRUCTION" has seen our shore. "DEATH" has taken away our people."PAIN AND SORROW" have filled our sky."TEARS AND BLOOD" have flooded our streets. As a concerned nurse with many years of experience who speak English ,French and Creole I would love to volunteer to help my people, but I do not know how to proceed. So many organizations state they are not accepting volunteer at this time. Looking at CNN the people are in dire need of medical personel. Can you please direct me on how to proceed. I had already plan to go to Haiti next month, already bought my ticket, I am sure the need will be great.

Thank you for the help you are providing to our people. God bless you and your family.

Tonya
Iowa, USA

Tonya in Iowa writes:

Please help us with the adoption process. We have been matched with our two girls since August 2008. We just traveled to meet them last month and are so in love with these girls. We have not moved very far in the process even though our paperwork has been in Haiti for almost a year now. Please help to bring them home, for their sake and for the orphans that will need a place to be safe now.

Bonnie H.
North Dakota, USA

Bonnie H. in North Dakota writes:

It is imperative that we get the children in orphanages out of the country to their adoptive parents in the U.S. now. These parents have been working to get united with these children for several years and now much of the paperwork has been destroyed.Give these children to their adoptive parents as many more children in the last few days have become orphans.

Jeff F.
Texas, USA

Jeff F. in Texas writes:

I build hi tech portable wind turbines, Unfortunately I am not completely tooled up for production. However, There are other companys that are. It would require about 2 weeks for me to be on line and some funding.

These small turbines can run a small 500 gallon an hour pump that can in turn maintain pressure to a small reversed osmosis membrane water purification system that can be assembled in just a 30 min. or less
Other turbines can be used to power communication, lights and small electrical units.
I am also willing to offer assistance in any other way. I am well versed in fast track trouble shooting solutions.

JAMES B.
Nigeria

James B. in Nigeria writes:

AM HIGHLY SORRY OF WHAT HAPPEN IN HAITI. I PRAY THAT GOD WE GIVE ALL IN HAITI HEART TO BEAR IT AND MANY ALL WHO CONTRIBURT TO THEM GOOD LUCK IN ALL THEY BUSINESS.LONG LIFE POEPLE OF HAITI.MAY GOD BLESS HAITI AMEN.
FROM JAMES B.

Jewels R.
North Carolina, USA

Jewels R. in North Carolina writes:

I would like to help to volenteer my time to help the many orphans that are coming to the USA from Haiti. Everyone wants you to donate money. I have love and time for the children with no parent. Please send me some information for this please

Christopher I.

Christopher L. in California writes:

i am interested in going to Haiti and helping physically with relief efforts as I have no money to speak of. I am not a college grad but very smart and eager to help in any way I can. Please advise.

emeryconstruction

Emeryconstruction in California writes:

Experianced contractor would like to help.i do not have money however I can build temporary housing with some help.please tell me how?

Aron
Kentucky, USA

Aron in Kentucky writes:

I am a college student at EKU and was wonder where I would send food and clothing so it could be given out to the people in Haiti?

Mara A.
Massachusetts, USA

Mara A. in Massachusetts writes:

Hi,

Like so many of us I felt the immediate need, calling, draw- whatever it may be to help as soon as I heard about the disaster in Haiti. Also (like many of you who have so generously offered) my initial reaction was that I could be there- use my time and skills to make a difference (I’m bilingual in French and English, fluent in Haitian Creole, and and am a wilderness EMT).

Unfortunately, as it happens, what is needed most at this point is just money- money to get the best trained, equipped, and necessary resources where they need to be. And, let’s be real about it, cash is not exactly flowing freely these days. If you’re an avid c’s lister like myself you also know that turning “things” and “time” into money is not an easy process. Successfully selling things can be time consuming, difficult to coordinate etc.

So here’s where my idea comes in (and granted it is half-baked at best right now, but we’ll get there)- those of us who want to help need to work together to turn our energy and compassion into what is needed most…money.

I am not a non-profit, and I know there are debates around which organizations are best to donate to (Yele, DWB etc.), but in some ways those are details to be worked out. But, I do have time, lots and lots of “stuff”, and a desire to help, so I want to help facilitate some sort of a match-up/donation/delivery service to raise money to send to Haiti.

Craigslist could be a great forum for this- if there were a way to post items or services that are effectively “donations” to Haiti Disaster Relief.

I’m also willing to use my time (as I’m sure others would be) to help with the difficulties of selling things- whether that means picking up donated items to be sold, delivering items where they need to be, helping match up people who have skills with people who are willing to pay for those skills all with the aim of turning what we DO HAVE into WHAT THEY NEED IN HAITI MOST.

I’d love to hear your ideas, criticisms, etc. Be good to yourselves and to others.

Peace,

Mara

Jean S.

Jean writes:

haiti is in my prayers
may god bless

Lillian S.
South Carolina, USA

Lillian S. in South Carolina writes:

May God bless all the people in Haiti and lift them up in these desparate times of need.

My prayers are with you all

jim
Idaho, USA

Jim in Idaho writes:

i will donate my time,presence,and experience as a heavy equipment operator in haiti available immediately

Rose S.
Michigan, USA

Rose S. in Michigan writes:

Dear Hillary,
I am writing you in regards to your needs in Haiti.
I am presently unemployed along with my fiance.
We both are very qualified to due not only clean up but Greg had been a licensed builder in Michigan for over 25yrs.
I am quit capable to do any kind of service needed, as I too have a great resume, in various jobs.
It seems if we as a country are willing to give so much to help, it would be beneficial to make sure things are not only done right but that our funds are distributed in the proper fashion.
If I may state, I have gone to Jamaica on several occasions, when life was different for me, at my own expense and saw first hand how our funds never hit and or went to the proper places and nothing ever to this date were repaired.
I am about to loose allot,would love to be able to make my living trying not only to help my situation but willing to leave my surrounding to help others.
I am not a stranger to hardship, and I am very strong and if you met me Ms Hillary I think you would try to find a way to let this happen, I am sure there are many Americans in my situation as well.
Thank You for you time, hopefully this is not just going out there somewhere in space, but that you have a staff who reads these and you will get this.
sincerely,
Rose S

Mr.Malden B.
Italy

Malden B. in Italy writes:

Es we seen help to haiti comes with dificulties.
Why do not US Army engage in sense to create
one air bridge via international airport of Santo Domingo?To do distribute humanitarian help,food and beverage,medical material from the air ower the people directly?It would be great point for the United states in any sense.To do redirect all the help shipments to US Army and money contributions to help,to by material to the US.Gov.coomeetee formed in serverall ours?

Best regards,

Mr.Malden B.

Amy T.

Amy T. in California writes:

The ability to TEXT donations to the Red Cross and UN Refugee assistance is imperative and the best and most efficiaent way to help immediately! I first used this option at Telluride Mountain Film - urged by Hillary Clinton & Richard Holbrook - for relief efforts in Pakistan and now, a most devestated, Haiti. pe for Water, First Aid, and man-power to get it to those who need help! God Speed!

Dennis S.

Dennis S. writes:

I am ready and available to go forward and help
in any manner to provide temporary engineering
technical support/with logistics ability to start the needed temporary mechanical services
that should be put into place ASAP,E.G.
electrical,a/c,electrical generation,and control
logistics

Pamala
Colorado, USA

Pamala in Colorado writes:

I was wondering if you could spend a little amount of 100,000,000 on Doctors, day care women and cooks, from the U.S.
For there travel.

Sincerely
Pam

Abraha C.
Haiti

A.C.C. writes:

I am available immediately. My background includes being a fireman for eight years in New Orleans, LA. I am also a master carpenter and removing debris as well as the rebuilding Haiti. I am ready willing and able to assist in whatever way possible.

Please contact me as soon as possible.

God Bless the people of Haiti

Chink C.

betty h.
Ohio, USA

Betty H. in Ohio writes:

I know there is alot o people from the medical reserve corps and the American Red Cross throughout the country that would assist with the Haiti disaster and Recovery process. This may already be in process but it doesn't appear the Cincinnati Red Cross or the TMRC has not been accessed

marcelle G.
Michigan, USA
January 19, 2010

Marcelle G. in Michigan writes:

Im a certified nursing assistant and also medical assistant. I dont have t4avel money because we are always broke but my heart goes out to these people in Hati and I would like to find out how I can get ther to help. Can someone please contact me

James W.
Alabama, USA
January 19, 2010

James K. W. in Alabama writes:

There are 150 people trapped under concrete slabs in a Nursing School in Port au Prince, but the school could be located 25 miles to the East in Léogane. The School of nursing in Léogane is called the International School of Nursing. It is run by a Presbyterian church in Ann Arbor, Michigan. People trapped under the rubble keep contacting relatives here in the U.S. by mobile phones. They are still alive. Could you please relay this message to someone who can help get them out. Do not contact me I have no relatives there but I know others do. This is the only way I know how to tell people.

Armando V.
January 19, 2010

Armando V. in Florida writes:

I am a Physician Assitant with 10 years experience in Wound Care and I am available immediately to assit in Haiti.

Thomas F.
Massachusetts, USA
January 19, 2010

Thomas F. in Massachusetts writes:

Heavy equiptment operator and water well service tech willing to go to Haiti for long term rebuilding projects.42 years old.

Sunitha M.
Wisconsin, USA
January 19, 2010

Sunitha M. in Wisconsin writes:

I am a U.S. Citizen, born in India and have lived there for 12 years. Living in a country without constant water or electricity is one that we as Americans take for grantd. The devastation in Haiti is one that I would be honored to be able to help. I am currently unemployed, love helping others, but do not have the extra finance to do so, but I am willing to help with any possible situation in that country. I would appreciate the ability to be considered as a voluteer in any form.

Sunitha M.