A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Jaidyn

Jaidyn in California writes:

I am only 14, but i need to help in some way. I am organizing funraisers at my school. Its horrfic to see such people in a condition. May God be with them

rebecca

Rebecca in Washington writes:

I pray that every plane that is flying into Haitifor coverage is stocked full of supplies.

kenneth f.
Mississippi, USA

Kenneth F. in Mississippi writes:

just exhausted my unemployment this week after 6mths.start new job monday but will give it up to go to haiti to assist in any way i can.it is totally heartbreaking to see such devastation

Brian K.
Illinois, USA

Brian K. in Illinois writes:

Would like to get msg to Cheryl Mills/State Dept. Would like to offer some help with getting necessary heavy eq. for Haiti. Could have operators too. Have been in contracting business for 27 yrs.

JEAN M.
Massachusetts, USA

Jean M. in Massachusetts writes:

HAITI MY LOVE I WILL LOVE YOU FOR EVER WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO YOU ALL MY PRAY IS FOR YOU GOD BLESS TO EVERYONE IN HAITI SPECIALLY THOSE WHO FLY TO MY COUNTRY TO SHARE THEIR PAIN WITH THEM

I BELIEVE PEACE WILL START RIGHT HERE IN HAITI AND CONTINUE TO ALL OVER THE PLACE

kaitlynn
Arizona, USA

Kaitlynn in Arizona writes:

i would like a list of the supplies or what i could send out to haiti to help all the people that lost thier homes in that horrible earthquake!

Francisco G.
Indiana, USA

Francisco G. in Indiana writes:

My name is Francisco, A survivor of Hurricane Mitch in 1998 and Volcano casitas the same, I have experience in such catastrophe and i am wanting to find a way to go and help, i also speak Spanish, n some French

Sarah H.

Sarah H. in U.S.A. writes:

As I already knew that Haiti is a poor country. My sons father got deported but he is not a criminal. They just seemed to be deporting people back after the 9/11 incident. I have been trying to talk to people and see what I can do to get him back in the states to be with his son. After this tragic event my son is not himself. He is beside himself without his father. I am a citizen to the US. If anyone has information on what I can do to see if I can bring him home please let me know. I can't see him live like that knowing he has a family here. I feel bad for everyone else that is out there and pray everyone gets the help. But I would really like to get my sons father home.

Daniela
Pennsylvania, USA

Daniela in Pennsylvania writes:

I would do anything to take several people from Haiti into my home. I am so worried about everyone and I feel so helpless sitting here.

I am an older first time mom, but would love to take in as many children as I can or adults who need a home.

God Bless these angels. I pray that the suffering ends and some miracle can happen soon. My prayers to the families and friends of the victims.

Lori H.
Texas, USA
January 14, 2010

Lori H. in Texas writes:

I need to know why I cant pay my own way to Haiti to help, rebuild and encourage the desperate people of a land that I visited? Government Rules are not right just now. Let the Loving people of the US in to help those in need...Please

william k.

William K. in Washington writes:

i am hasmat sert.in heavy equipment operations desaster and civil construction,looking too go to work for construction company going to port-au-prince haiti.will go for as long as it takes to get the job done thank you william k.

Shelley
January 14, 2010

Shelley in Washington writes:

Please let us know how we can personally help and assist those in Haiti. I would fly over from the States if I knew what I could do, feeling helpless. Please post anything to let us know how we can help.

anonymous

Anonymous in U.S.A. writes:

I'm pissed because the USA is in a recession and 500,000,000,000,000 in debt but we're giving away 100,000,000+ to Haiti, alone. We can't support the world. That's the reason this country keeps going downhill.

Where was Haiti when the US had its disasters? Why can't they help themselves?

Too bad that happened but it wasn't America's fault. Keep America 1st!

Pamela R.
Texas, USA
January 14, 2010

Pamela R. in Texas writes:

I would like to donate clothes for the people in Haiti. Where can I drop it off at?

Shannon
Minnesota, USA
January 14, 2010

Shannon in Minnesota writes:

Please think of the orphans! We have a son in Haiti waiting to come home. We have been waiting for more then a year now to bring him home. He is one of the many children in one of the orphanages that wasn't affected by the earthquake. But in the coming weeks and months it will affect him. All the children who just became orphans will need a place to go and the only place for them to go will be the orphanages throughout Haiti that are still intact and functioning. This means that the orphanages will be overcrowded and the workers of the orphanages will have a hard time finding room for them, feeding them and getting supplies for them because the main place they get supplies was through Port Au Prince and not to mention prices are going to sky rocket for them, making it even harder on the orphanages. Why can't we allow all the children who are in the adoption process and who have families waiting for them here in the US, refugee visas, or expedite their adoptions or something. By doing this we will free up the orphanges that are still functioning to take in the all so many new orphans displaced from the earthquake. Please help!

Christopher B.

Christopher B. in Washington writes:

Like many other families, our family is adopting 3 children from Haiti.

We are adopting twin boys and a little girl. All of them are 3.

We are 2 years into the process and are 2/3rds the way done.

With the earthquake and all the damage to the infrastructure in Haiti, it can only delay the homecoming for most of these children.

We are requesting your help in urging the Haitian Government to release those children whose dossiers have made it to IBESR.

Thank You.

Christopher B.

Ty H.

Ty H. in California writes:

I know this is very early in the process,but i would like to offer my services.
I am a general contractor with extensive foundation experiance,and would be willing to help with the rebuilding efforts.

Gerald M.
Pennsylvania, USA

Gerald M. in Pennsylvania writes:

This is a terrible disaster, and my wife and I would like to donate money now, as President Clinton recommended. What is the best (fastest and safest) way to do this from our bank account?

Joeann H.
Louisiana, USA

Joeann H. in Louisiana writes:

Im a RN, worked in surgery, a certified sexual assault nurse examiner and presently working in hospice. I have much experience in working with victims of trauma/ death & dying. Thanks to all that helped us during Katrina. ... It's my turn to give back. I'm wanting to volunteer. Please contact me.

Patricia S.

Patricia S. in California writes:

It is my deepest hope that now the Haitian people will get noticed. For so long they have been ignored, although they are our closet neigbors. Please help us prepare to adopt the children that need homes. I am ready to raise and love more children. Thank you for all you do. God Bless

Jamie B.
Peru

Jamie G. in Peru writes:

I am the director of "World Trade Center Peru", and I can respond with aid as a provider of suppies needed. Please have someone contact me to provide shippments of what is needed. I can put together containers of goods now to be shipped for the aftermath. Please inform me of the list of products in need.

bob w.

Bob W. in California writes:

My son texted to 90999. My wife had trouble with her phone, so I called TMobile. They informed me that texting to 90999 set up a $10 monthly charge! This I believe is a scam! I had them reverse the charges and they did, since he's under 18.

bob

CHAYO P.

Chayo B. in California writes:

West Indian Americans, we (tears of sadness) all need to take a moment and pray for our ancestors in Haiti because our brothers and sisters need us. Therefore, if they suffer we suffer and I totally agree prayer without action means nothing.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel in Florida writes:

am from haiti and seeing all this things make me sad and i hope everything back to normal,not today and tomorrow may be take years to the country back on track, and am ready to Work for the state department in Haiti right now, Thanks and god bless the United State and the international community.

KAREN C.
Pennsylvania, USA

Karen C. in Pennsylvania writes:

I am adopting a boy from Haiti (Dominic - age 3) I have been in the process of adopting him for over 2 yrs now, he has his passport ( his I-600 was filed in Haiti), he is now in USCIS to get his Visa from the USA, my file has been with USCIS for over 2 weeks already and it is still pending review.

As of last night hearing about the earthquake I have been worried sick and want him to come home right now, I have not heard from the owners of the orphanage where he is at, but a third party source says that his Orphanage is still standing and that all the children are ok, hopefully this is a realiable source. Could I possibly get an emergency or Humatarian visa or some how get him out of the country as soon as possbile

If you can help me in any way please contact me asap

Thanks
Karen C.

Muksbus
Kenya

Muksbus in Kenya writes:

A painful thing ran through my heart, after watching the situation in Haiti, gosh! Things aint right, i do encourage any one across the world who has a cellphone to make an effort to help those in need. Food, water are some needs to be bought. Unite the world and help the strucked.

jenny n.
New Jersey, USA

Jenny N. in New Jersey writes:

i have a lot of toys i would like to donate ...is there a pick up service for haiti relief programs

Helen
Maryland, USA

Helen in Maryland writes:

My name is Helen and while on my knees talking to God the Father I pray His comfortfor Haiti and that His love be poured out and demonstrated through His people worldwide for this hurting nation. I believe as we look to our Creator and trust Him, He will see us through this and strengthen us as we move forward.
My brothers and sisters the element of TIME which God along control will mend our hearts, and will restore our joy, and healour mind and soulin due season.
I and others in the ministry will provide items to support Haiti (my brothers and sisters) during their time of need.
I'm thankful to God that He is able to use me and others to be a blessing to the people of this nation at such a time as this.

CARLOS A.
January 19, 2010

Carlos A. in Florida writes:

Con la ayuda que este gran pais USA nos ha brindado a todos los latinos porque no nos organizamos y vamos a HAITI A AYUDAR a nuestro hermanos y nos dejar solo a USA en esto MANOS A LA OBRA

Alyssa
Pennsylvania, USA

Alyssa in Pennsylvania writes:

I saw everything on tv that has happend and im helping as much as i can, i feel so bad for these people. My mother in Florida is helping as well with getting as many people and as much Medical supply to try and help the people who need it. I just hope everything gets better.