A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Brenda S.
Idaho, USA

Brenda S. in Idaho writes:

It seems to me that there are a lot of people with important skills that want to help. I am a nursing student and would give anything to be there helping injured people RIGHT NOW! I cannot find any organization that is doing this? Isn't there a government office that can head this up? I thought this was created after Hurricane Katrina?

Please hurry - the people of Haiti can't wait!

Norman H.

Norman H. in Florida writes:

why cant the state department and The President send needy Americans who are out of work to help in Haiti? wouldnt that make sense?

J N.
Kentucky, USA

J.N. in Kentucky writes:

I am a 53 years old male, unemployed

Electrician, experienced in communications,certified diver and trained in search and rescue. I also have experience running some light equipment. Is possible to get in contact with some one where i might be able to go and help.

Joel

Joel writes:

I am a retired Fire Chief in good health. I have 30 years experience in the Fire and EMS service with 15 in administration. I would like to offer my assistance in any way possible. Please advise.

Cesar D.
Connecticut, USA

Cesar D. in Connecticut writes:

I am an experience logistic analyst, and french and creole translator, computer tech and am willing to help

Marie F.

Marie F. writes:

I HAVE A FOUR YEAR OLD SON IN HAITI AND I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM HIM. HE LIVES WITH AN AMERICAN FAMILY. THEIR NAMES ARE HAL & CHRIS. CAN SOMEONE GO SEE ABOUT HIM FOR ME PLEASE AND CALL ME. I AM WORRIED, I CAN REACH ANYONE. I'VE CALLED ALL NIGHT LAST NIGHT AND ALL DAY TODAY, I CAN'T REACH ANYONE, NOT EVEN THE EMBASSY OR THE AMERICAN CONSULATE.
CONCERN PARENT,
MARIE

Jim Z.

Jim Z. in New York writes:

I have a Twin Engine Cessna 310R that I can fly to cover a part of your need. ATP pilot license with 20,000 hours of experience. Part 135 current. I have contacted many charitable organizations but have not heard back from them yet. Please contact me or forward my offer to any organization you feel can use my services.

SHELLY
Canada

Shelly in Canada writes:

Hello I was wondering who do I contact if I want to go to Haiti to help in any way possible. I can alot of different things, labour work driving machinery, anything at all,helping with children,whatever needs to be done.

john f.

John F. in Virginia writes:

God bless the grieving people in Haiti, and bless the human race for responding with mercy and compassion. This is an opportunity provided by the universe to show what we are made of. Bless us all.

KEVIN B.
Ohio, USA

Kevin B. in Ohio writes:

I AM AN UNEMPLOYED PROFESSIONAL OFFERING MY ASSISTANCE IN HAITI. MY COLLEGE AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND IS IN ELECTRONICS. I AM IN GOOD PHYSICAL CONDITION. I WANT TO VOLUNTEER MY SERVICES IN ANY MANNER THAT WILL BE OF ASSISTANCE. I HAVE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE CARING FOR ELDERLY FAMILY MEMBERS.

sister j.
Kansas, USA

Paula J. in Kansas writes:

I am a masters prepared medical surgical/orthopedic nurse with 3rd world experience and would like to help on a medical team out of Kansas if possible to Haiti. 30 years of experience.

Bill
North Carolina, USA

Bill in North Carolina writes:

I have 42 years of heavy construcion experience from trades to Construction Manager.

Volunteer to go & help out short term

Laid off and fear little

LB

L.B. in New York writes:

It would be awesome if there was a way to continue UI for the unemployed americans that would like to volunteer in the field (those who can't find work currently). There are probably lots of skilled unemployed people who want to help.

Rebecca T.
Colorado, USA

Rebecca T. in Colorado writes:

I am a veterinarian and would like to volunteer for whatever duty I might perform in Haiti. I can provide health care for rescue dogs, help with pet control, etc. It is very confusing as to where to send my request to help. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

Perry M.
Nevada, USA

Perry C. in Nevada writes:

I am an unemployed Medical Technogist due my recent move to Las Vegas. If my expertice in the laboratory is needed, I would be free to offer my services.

Natalie C.
Massachusetts, USA

Natalie C. in Massachusetts writes:

Hi my name is Natalie Im from Chelsea MA Im 15. I just want to let everyone know to please help the people of Haiti they need our help you can help by donating clothes, food, and medicine. Please Im helping so can you, so please make a difference in their lives. And help save them from danger.

Patricia

Patricia in Florida writes:

Hi- My name is Patricia and I am 8 years old. I think it is horrible that the Earthquake injuried and killed all those people. I hope that they will figure out how they will be ok. I wish I could help. Can you tell me how I might be able to help them over in Haiti?

Sydney

Sydney in New York writes:

I am so upset that this happened to the people of Haiti. I think about it night & day. If I had all the money in the world I would give it to Haiti to help them in this horrific event. But, sadly I don't. God bless everyone in Haiti & I hope everything works out. As I said, If I had all the money in the world, I would give it to Haiti.

sylson a.
Ohio, USA

Sylson A. in Ohio writes:

It is so sad what happen in haiti,i would like to know how can i go to haiti and help in any way i can.

Sorrell
South Carolina, USA

Sorrell in South Carolina writes:

HELLO MY NAME IS SORRELL AND I AM A 20YR OLD UNEMPLOYED MEDICAL ASSISTANT AND I WOULDN'T MIND GOING OVER 2 HELP.IM SO DEVASTATED ABOUT THE TRAGEDY OVER IN HAITI MY HEART GOES OUT TO EVERYONE AND THEIR FAMILIES.I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANY POSSIBLE WAY THAT I COULD GO OVER AND HELP IF SO IM READY THANKS SO MUCH.

sally h.
Georgia, USA

Sally H. in Georgia writes:

I did disaster relief work for the red cross for 3 months in waveland miss 3 days after katrina I am very good in traumatic situations I am ready to leave immediately

D.Ervin
Alabama, USA

D.E. in Alabama writes:

I have alot of nice ladies cloths kids cloths and shoes of both kind to where would i need to take them in order to get them to haiti.
Yours truly,
D.E.

BONNIE K.
Indiana, USA

Bonnie K. in Indiana writes:

want to volunteer in Haiti, have been there with medical mission trip to Gandou. I am a registered nurse who want to provide medical care in Haiti, How can I do this?

Katie M.
Maryland, USA

Katie M. in Maryland writes:

After making a donation, what else can all of us do!?

What a great idea someone else had to coordinate out of work Americans who want to help.

We Americans don't like feeling useless when we have compassion and hard work to offer. What can we do!?

Helena P.
Haiti

Helena P. writes:

I am a retieded RN with experience mostly in the psychiatric area. I worked with children and adolescents for 23 years. I looking to provide asistance with haitian relief. I have a valid passaport, and I also speak portugues. Any information would be most appreciated.

Jackie
South Carolina, USA

Jackie in South Carolina writes:

I am a veterinarian who wants to volunteer in Haiti

Kajsa
Canada

Kajsa in Canada writes:

I would like to know how I can help more?
I am shocked that this had to happen to a country that is already struggling so much! I am 18 and would really like to know what more I could do to help I have already donated money on my phone bill but would like to do more,
Please let me know!

Jean R.

Jean in Florida writes:

My name is Emmanuel, Haitian American. I would like to volunteer my time to the rescue efforts, to provide any assistance in Haiti. There is a lot of task I can do... like translate,driving truck, training, managing, any type of labor work ,etc..

patricia l.

Patricia L. in California writes:

call me if i can help with what every you need i am a mother of three and want to help.

Amy S.
Montana, USA

Amy S. in Montana writes:

Dear Friends of Disaster,
I want you to all know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all, your families, friends, and animals. Just know that everything happens for a reason, and more so that everything always works out somehow someway. Keep your heads up, and keep praying for each other, the Lord will provide, all you have to do is ask.

God Bless,