A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Regine B.
Massachusetts, USA
January 13, 2010

Regine B. in Massachusetts writes:

I'm willing to go with any organization to help rescuing!

Rodel P.
January 13, 2010

Rodel P. in Florida writes:

I wish that my message could reach President Obama, yet I doubt it will.

For years, I followed the misery of what has happened to Haiti, our poorest neighbor.

I guess that,as I have been for years, puzzled; as to why the United States cannot do more for this island nation.

To the degree that I can, I understand it's awful history, the corruption that goes on, and on.

Yet, these are people who live there, and shouldn't we be doing more?

For all of the power that humans can do, we seem to just let these people suffer, and suffer unimaginable horrors.

I often wonder, if we should just annex them to the U.S. and pore in money, management, and a totally agressive rebuilding campaign, given our ability to rebuild, almost anything, or anyplace.

I live in South Florida, which has a huge Haitian community, and they are some of the nicest, thoughful, and loving people that I have ever met.

I am doing my part to contribute money, and yes; prayers. I am also thinking of going there to contribute my time to help a nation that is so desperately poor, and deserves better.

Speak out, Mr. President; and speak loud. Tell us, that we still have enough decency to help the poorest of the poor. If we fail at this, we better never, ever look in the mirror again. Because, we will be looking at a very thoughtless person, who could have done so much more; yet we did not.

Thanks for accepting my comments.

"Rock on", Mr. Obama. Be a good and kind President.

Thank you, with respect.

Rodel Proia

Pat
Illinois, USA
January 13, 2010

Pat in Chicago writes:

Let's all help these poor people....!! and Washington....how about telling those bankers that are getting all those crazy bonuses to each give 1/2 to Haiti...wow...can you imagine how all that $$ could help..after all..how many more homes, cars, boats,and botox do you need????????

zincink
New Jersey, USA
January 13, 2010

Zincink in New Jersey writes:

Timing is crucial to save possible survivors. I hope that if this ever happens in the US that we will have the manpower and quickness to help others who are in need.

If this isn't a warning I don't know what is...

Lisa S.
North Carolina, USA
January 13, 2010

Lisa S. in North Carolina writes:

Can someone explain how the texting thing works? It's being charged to your cell bill but with so many carriers, does that mean that ALL carriers are engaged in this effort? Want to support but want to be assured that my carrier is involved in this. Please respond asap. Thank you!

Kathy

Kathy in U.S.A. writes:

Are we sending our military to Haiti and if not why not? There are 1,000's of troops here in the US. Perhaps they should go there to actually help the people there.

M. K.
Texas, USA

M.W.K. in Texas writes:

I can help in Hati, 20 years in funeral industy and cemetery.
Wayne

Tammy B.
Tennessee, USA

Tammy B. in Tennessee writes:

Are there any relief efforts being organized in the Nashville, TN area?

Tom
New Hampshire, USA

Tom in New Hampshire writes:

I took would offer my time and services to go and help. Who needs a vacation when people need help right now.

TB

Roxanne

Roxanne in Florida writes:

my name is roxanne and when i heard the news i was devastated - i don't have a lot of money - but i have time - i want to find somewhere to go help and give a hand if anyone has any suggestions i would really appreciate it

Barbara S.
Arizona, USA

Barbara S. in Arizona writes:

I am so very pleased and proud of the Obama administration and its response to this disaster. Bravo! Question: we are not hearing anything about the Dominican Republic. Would we not expect problems there as well?

Keep up your work; we out here will help as best we can...Barbara

Robin F.
Illinois, USA

Robin F. in Illinois writes:

With many americans currently unemployed is there any systems in place to volunteer and send americans to help in Haiti. I would love to go and help yet not really sure how to do that. Please help those of us that may not be able to give monitary support but would like to give of our time and help those who need us now!!!!!!

Jim M.
Arkansas, USA

Jim M. in Arkansas writes:

I am a 62 year old architect and willing and able to travel to help. Please tell me where to fly into and who to contact. God Bless.

Lisa
Ohio, USA

Lisa in Ohio writes:

I have Verizon and the texting works for Verizon. Don't enter "HAITI" as the key word or it won't work - just text 90999 and enter key word HAITI. Went through with no problem. God bless Haiti :(

Rodriguez R.
Georgia, USA

Rodriguez R. in Georgia writes:

my thoughts and prayers are with Haiti, i would like to help in any humanitarian efforts that i can, i cant help really financially but i can pledge my time

Jacole J.
Indiana, USA

Jacole J. in Indiana writes:

I am a Registered Nurse in Indiana looking for information on traveling to Haiti to help in any way I can. I am up to date on vaccines, no serious health conditions, and have a current passport. I want to know how I can help.

Teresa A.
Washington, USA

Teresa A. in Washington writes:

Thank you for offering an immediate and easy way to help those suffering in Haiti

JANET W.
Michigan, USA

Janet W. in Michigan writes:

I ask all people come togther and help and pray for all people in Haiti. Even if only a dollar willl help. It will come some day when we will need help. I know with times so bad right now is not good, but like I said just a dollar will help. remember keep praying for all people.

Madaleine L.

Madaleine L. in California writes:

I know that State.gov has a presence on Facebook, but maybe you should consider adding some share options to DipNote so that readers can pass along a link to this entry more easily.

Carolyn E.
Indiana, USA

Carolyn E. in Indiana writes:

Dear Sec.Of State Clinton,
I am writing because I would like to be allowed to join the relief group of medical personal going to Haiti.I have been a nurse for several years & would appreciate the chance to do what I love doing which is helping others.
Currently I am charged with identity deception & I do not have any prior problems with the law.I am to be sentenced for two years for my mistake.
I would like to trade part of my incarceration time & go help in Haiti if possible. My phone number is 765-369-3061.I look forward to hearing from you.
Respectfully,
Carolyn E.

Jenny M.
Texas, USA

Jenny M. in Texas writes:

I want to help!!

Mark D.
Pennsylvania, USA
January 15, 2010

Mark D. in Pennsylvania writes:

The Red Cross gets 100% of the donation; your cell carrier gets none.

Bernarda D.
New Jersey, USA

Bernarda D. in New Jersey writes:

My sincere donation to haity is prayers for mercy. My hope is God touch rich and powerfull peoples,kindgoods, prayers;,everyones are engaged in this sad situation. Bernarda in nj.

sheila

Sheila in U.S.A. writes:

My spouse and I have been to the D.R. several times. Whan we have been there, we make sure to help the Hatians who work there. DR is looked at as their America. They work very hard and always have a smile for you. Very gracious people. I cannot say enough about how warm and loving these people are. It changes your life forever. If every family, corporation, business etc. here in America makes a donation (any amount) to the Red Cross or a Christian based organization that is set up to go there right away with emergency supplies, we can make a difference. Please! Please! Give up those cups of coffee's at the coffee stand this month and make a donation instead and keep them coming as this country will need them. If you ever get a chance some day to meet the people you helped out, you will be so greatful you made the donations. Thank you for searching your soul to contribute.

james p.

James P. in California writes:

Thankyou for this opportunity to give through my cell phone. Great idea. god bless you.

Liz F.

Liz F. in New York writes:

I tried texting to 90999 and I got a message back asking if I want to confirm donating to MADD? Do they mean Mother's Against Drunk Driving? How is this money getting to the Red Cross? I want to donate but won't confirm until I am sure this is going to the right place (not that I wouldn't support MADD, but I want to give to Haiti) Thanks!!

Tina S.
Indiana, USA
January 13, 2010

Tina S. in Indiana writes:

I too would like to go there to help with cleanup, searches, etc. How do you go about this?

Janie B.
Texas, USA
January 13, 2010

Janie B. in Texas writes:

My heart and prayers goes out to everyone in HAITI and all around the world. We will come together and humble ourselves to prepare to love one another come what may. Amen!

I'm ready to give love and kindness as God commands us to do. Amen!!

Your-Sister-In-Christ
Janie B.

Luke F.
January 13, 2010

DipNote Bloggers write:

The State Department has created a task force to monitor the emergency in Haiti. People in the U.S. or Canada with information or inquiries about U.S. citizens in Haiti may reach the Haiti Task Force at 888-407-4747. Outside of the U.S. and Canada, call 202-501-4444. Americans in Haiti can call the Embassy’s Consular Task Force at 509-2229-8942, 509-2229-8089, 509-2229-8322, or 509-2229-8672. Americans are urged to contact the Embassy via email at ACSPaP@state.gov to request assistance.

A.Garcia

A.G. in Florida writes:

Haiti needs us!! There are millions of people in USA that is unemployed, why not
send unemployed volunteer to Haiti for two weeks to help these needed people and service USA in manpower?