A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

LESLY S.
February 24, 2010

Lesly writes:

I'M WILLING & READY TO GO TO HAITI WITH ANY ORGANIZATIONS THAT ARE GOING THERE, TO BRING MY CONTRIBUTION TO MY HOME LAND PLEASE YOU MAY FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME ANYTIME BY EMAIL

THANKS

Angel J.
Texas, USA

Angel F. in Texas writes:

We have a group of 4 Rotarians from houston, all American citizens, that arrived today, Tue, to Port of Prince.
Trying to communicate with the State Department help line is impossible, but I can not find an email address to inquire for them!!
Can you open an email address for inquiries ??
Thank you and lets help Haiti!

John J.
South Carolina, USA

John S. in South Carolina writes:

I would like to help with the clean up effort in Haiti. That is, I want to go to Haiti and physically help. I do not own any construction equipment nor do I have the funds to travel. Do any programs presently exist that support this idea?

Jennifer S.
West Virginia, USA

Jennifer S. in West Virginia writes:

Thank you so much for this info and for making it so easy for us to help. By following your directions it was easy to make a donation! Your use of technology and social networking rocks!

mb

M.B. in Florida writes:

I was in Haiti just 3 weeks ago for vacation! OMG I am so sorry for these people! I donated money and hope everyone helps them out asap!

william
Massachusetts, USA

William in Massachusetts writes:

how does one join the relief effort on the ground?

Michael S.
January 15, 2010

Michael S. in Florida writes:

We have a full medical staff ready to provide our services in Haiti. Please advise contact Michael S.

Steph
Oregon, USA

Steph in Oregon writes:

Will the money be billed to my cell company or what?

Normita

Normita in California writes:

Ms. Mills, I received a copy of Secretary Clinton's touching remarks to the people of Haiti. I will distribute your request for help to my friends and colleagues.

God bless the people of Haiti.

It

I.J.L. in U.S.A. writes:

We've put together a list of over a dozen legitimate organizations that are in desperate need of donations to help in the relief effort:

Please share this link

Chris H.
Austria

Chris H. in Austria writes:

My husband was born in Haiti, and we still do not have contact or any info about her family in Carrefour. We are already organizing help, collecting donations and accessing decision makers over here in Europe with the issue.

There is something the Secretary of State can do today to help: Use the satellite infrastructure you have access to via the military and secret services, and get them making real time pictures from the areas the earthquake hit. Please make those picture public available as soon as possible, this will help not just rescue teams, but also families to get info about places where their relatives might be.

Thanks!
Greetings,
Chris H.

palgye
South Korea

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Dear to..

Is sad. There is not a possibility of helping in addition and is sadder.
Sends meditation and a tear of short time grief to the victims. Sends a deep impression even in the rescue team which has difficulty from site of earthquake.

and
P.S
Theoretically emphasizes saving the theory which promotes right. But, (Does a small sum loan and there will not be a possibility of trying to think the method which strengthens an economic activity once again? Believing about trust and the human being, with character…) When to believe only the weather report which is too cold weather, earns money, who? So, me to after for a few days appears the thing to be going bankrupt ..................................................

Pedro c.
Pennsylvania, USA

Pedro from Pennsylvania writes:

I work in a water plant and sometimes I wish I could help if I was the owner but we have tons and tons of good water here that we can't sell cause of labels situation but beside that the water is sealed and good to drink . So the only way I say we could help if somehow someway we get trailer here to get the water out... So hopefully you guys could get that done...let me know asap. Pedro thanks I wanna help

Mary R.
Connecticut, USA

Mary Ann in Connecticut writes:

I pray that God will have mercy upon each and everyone!

David T.
Michigan, USA

David T. in Michigan writes:

My prayers go out to all those familes who have just lost their loved ones. I'm disappointed i didn't have time to get my organization ready before hand to go help. I have been asking for months for some politician to help me with acquiring abandoned military housing here at selfridge so that i could build a trainning acedemy here where we have ANG and coast guard personel. My schools will be international language and community planning courses.. but then again i'm not set up yet cause i don't have the passports or clearances or whatever other checks we'd need to leave. I could easily raise 400 construction workers, electricians, communication workers.. and possibly even help with the air traffic control problem. But, like i said.. i'm dismayed that i'm not ready yet. No passports or visas. I could only hope that they send out the 305th air rescue recognizance squadron from here. I live by the base so i would definately tell you when they leave.. the planes fly over my house. But so far i haven't heard any cargo planes leaving. I don't know if anyone reading this has any connections.. but i'd like to be on one of those flights if they do send help. I'm old and i can't do the construction myself. But i have thousands of voulenteers with my habitat chapter i founded here back in 94 that i could ask for assistance and local businesses for donations.

Bill E.
Arizona, USA

Bill E. in Arizona writes:

Cheryl:

I'm all for everyone contributing to Haiti's aid and have done it myself. But it might be a good idea to remind people to consider first if their cell phones, BBs, etc. are provided by and/or paid for by the employers.

Judy H.
Tennessee, USA

Judy H. in Tennessee writes:

In a Time now that life for the whole world has been so hard for most my hopes and prayers are with the people and families from Haiti. As I sit with a warm cup of coffee in the comfort of a warm house we all need to help these poor people in their time of need.

Regine C.

Regine C. in New York writes:

I just want to say that my heart, prayers and thought go out to those stranded in this disaster. I am a Haitian American who continue to have family in Haiti as well as the US. This is a State of Emergency and this is the time to stop deportation in Haiti and declare an Amnesty for the imigrants and to allow them to work and travel inorder to assist their families and this country.

Michael
Minnesota, USA

Michael in Minnesota writes:

Is there an email address we can contact? The phone line is tied up. My parents are in Port au Prince. They sent word they are heading to the airport.

Marlo
Rhode Island, USA

Marlo in Rhode Island writes:

The text donation is a GREAT idea, but I tried it and got a text back saying that the short code had expired.

jerremy w.
China

Jerremy W. in Hong Kong writes:

we are ready to assist with our product Size: 6m, 10m, 15m, 20m. Extension Bay: 5m Material: HT 1100 Dtex PVC Coating 850gsm Blackout + UV + F / R 606-T6 Aluminium if needed do let us know please

Karen L.

Karen L. writes:

Praying for the people of Haiti...can't even imagine what they are going through right now.

Ben H.
Japan

Ben H. in Japan writes:

How can I get there to help??!!

Rene N.
Maryland, USA

Rene N. in Maryland writes:

Please include contact info for other relief agencies we can help... And, like with our troops overseas, God bless all men and women in and out of uniform responding to this crisis.

Margaret F.
Georgia

Margaret F. in Georgia writes:

Is there a way to obtain information about relatives if you are an American citizen but they are Haitians.

Caprice M.
South Dakota, USA

Caprice M. in South Dakota writes:

You have made it so easy for those who think their lifestyles are to busy to take an active effort to aide in times of need. This is so absolutely wonderful!!! I have this posted to my facebook blog and hope it helps!!!!

Marlo G.
Rhode Island, USA

Marlo G. in Rhode Island writes:

I think the text donation is a really brilliant idea, but it's still not working for me. I've tried about 7 times so far. Return text says the short code has expired.

Tina M.
South Carolina, USA

Tina M. in South Carolina writes:

I want to go there to help. Please, anyone with any kind of information that would lead me to someone and know how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Nikki

Nikki in Washington, DC writes:

It is actually really impressive that the administration has partnered up with the Red Cross and made it so easy to donate! Thanks.

Debi F.
Maryland, USA

Debi in Maryland writes:

Please let me know if 100% of the $10.00 will go to the Red Cross -I don't want to text in if Verizon gets a cut of the money.