United Nations Day

Posted by Kurtis Cooper
October 24, 2009

About the Author: Kurtis Cooper is a Press and Public Diplomacy Officer for the Bureau of International Organization Affairs.

October 24, 2009 marked United Nations Day, the anniversary of the entry into force of the United Nations (UN) Charter on October 24, 1945. It has been celebrated as UN Day since 1948.

The United States and the United Nations marked the occasion in a number of ways. U.S. President Barack Obama issued a Proclamation earlier this week. Additionally, Assistant Secretary for International Organization Affairs Esther Brimmer held a number of talks about the unheralded benefits of the United Nations in both Los Angeles and San Fransisco, the UN's birthplace.

She also took a few minutes to discuss the benefits of membership in UN multilateral organizations during her last visit to UN headquarters.

Comments

Comments

Syrian P.
Syria
October 25, 2009

SNP in Syria writes:

Phil Schneider and William Cooper come to mind on this UN Day of celebration. I had to pull that video again to watch those aliens meeting in the lower bunker underneath the UN building giving orders to all those peons sitting in the lower seating row levels. One can be proud that there are descent people who simply will walk out when they understands who are the ones giving orders to earthling servants and the sinister plan they are asking dumb people to obey and carry out.

Erãndira C.
Mexico
October 25, 2009

Eréndira in México writes:

Congratulations!

mado
Illinois, USA
October 25, 2009

Mado in Illinois writes:

I always have a good perspective of UN.

Donald
October 26, 2009

Donald in Virginia writes:

I think what the United Nations does is honorable. I just saw on the news how we lost a helicopter with American troops in Afghanistan. How many times must I continue trying to stress the point that our helicopters, planes and aircraft need better safety standards. I have spent the time crafting up what would save lives. I just didn't pull a rabbit out of the hat. I have a sound method that would work to help save our forces. My skills as a fire fighter, have been in temps over 800 plus degrees, and survived many situations, trying to get people to think and survive safely. I have spent the time in years trying to convince the NTSB, FAA AND OTHERS that we need better safety Emergency Escape PODS on aircraft and even vehicles, like trains. Remember the bridge that collasped, vehicles went into the water, this POD idea would have saved their lives. It's just like new buildings being built, millions spent on how it looks, but peanuts spent on safety. Then when a fire or a flood happens, people perish then wonder why?

EMERGENCY ESCAPE PODS -

Everyone has seen motorcycle helmets. Just visualize a human being inside a whole helmet. The concept is very simple, your protecting the entire body from fire and damage but your also including a parachute and survival equipment. The shell would be manufactured and designed to handle high degrees of temperatures and also have the ability to float. Picture yourself in a POD, with safety belts on, surrounded by material that would deflect and absorb the heat without a human being being burnt alive. This should include two parachutes.

Example: A helicopter on its mission gets enemey fire, takes multiple bullets and hits the engine. The aircraft loses thrust and descends quickly. My idea is so simple, the PILOTS and CO-PILOTS along with CREW are inside their own Escape PODS. A release cord is pulled, emergency doors are blown open, the PODS are deployed. The passengers, crew and even PILOTS are evacuated safely out of the vehicle. Then depending on how high they are in relation to the ground, a static line helps activate the parachutes, above all they are still inside the POD, which comes with portable oxygen as well. It should include some basic first aid, and supplies. The oxygen is in case they are flying in an atmosphere where no oxygen is present. We used to have Emergency Escape Breathing Devices onboard ship, something like this would be perfecto.

My critics say it would be too expensive, well I say this, what price can you place on human life? Making it safer for everyone should be everyones goal. When we all watch plane accidents and look for the remains, keep in mind there was an idea that could have saved your life, your family or the people you care about dearly. You had a choice to do something or nothing?

Godspeed

Zharkov
October 26, 2009

Zharkov in U.S.A. writes:

UN day? What kind of sick joke is that?

Do you support the decision by a court in Saudi Arabia to beat a female journalist 60 times with a stick because she may have helped talk about Sex on TV?

Have you seen the movie, "Beheading of a Princess", filmed in Saudi Arabia?

What, exactly, has the UN done for human rights in Saudi Arabia? Absolutely nothing, so obviously the UN deserves a Nobel prize for advancing women's rights.

Patrick
Maryland, USA
October 27, 2009

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Hi, People of the United Nations, Kurtis Cooper and States Department Friends.

I am very proud of our counties for being part of the United Nations. I believe that our coutries are participating in the United Nations because Communication and Cooperation will be essential to resolve our problems in the near Future. I think they are effectively trying to work as one, in order to achieve a more peaceful World.

..I know this is something that we all would like to see in the near future. :)

..I also liked Esther's Speech...Keep working for a better future. :)

....Cya...:) :)..s