Building a World That "Gives Life to the Promise of Our Founding Documents"

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
October 9, 2009
President Obama Delivers Remarks in Rose Garden of the White House

Today, the Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded President Obama the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. President Obama said:"I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee. Let me be clear: I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women, and all Americans, want to build -- a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes. And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action -- a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century."

Read the President's full remarks on the White House Blog.

Comments

Comments

Syrian P.
Syria
October 10, 2009

SNP in Syria writes:

For what did Mr. Obama receive a peace award, for having Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister invited to Washington, or is it for receiving Palestinian Abbas. Oh well, he join peace lover Kissinger league.

We live in an age of Amen-Marduk deception where everything is corrupted, notorious genocides and occupations are launched under the banner of Freedom and Democracy, War on Terror waged by terrorist regimes that have dismantled every civil law and modern society the worlds over. More than 400 years of human advancement wiped out with one stroke of the pen. So why not award a Noble Peace Prize for someone that is commanding 2 murderous, unjust wars. One that just re-stroked his pen to extend the law appropriately in deception called the Patriot Act to legalize waging the fabled War on Terror, until the treasury is empty and the printing presses cannot put out the worthless printed currency at fast pace enough to keep the Enterprise afloat. Someone in haste, or out of pure ignorance and arrogance imprinted on the Dollar bill- Our Enterprise is Success. Read your bibles, old and new, it is going to be the worst case of human failure.

Susan
October 9, 2009

Susan in Florida writes:

@ President Obama -- Congratulations!! You have extended a hand of peace and reconciliation to the nations of the world. You have given ordinary, everyday people encouragement and hope, not just here in the U.S., but around the world. Do not be discouraged, many of us out here in the "real world" know you are trying hard. Let this award encourage you, you certainly deserve it!

Ron
October 9, 2009

Ron in New York writes:

Dear President Obama:

Congratulations on your Nobel Award. You represent the spirit of the Nobel Peace Prize in words and deeds. It is critical for America to be recognized as a nation of peace and goodwill throughout the world. You have established this standard of global ethics energetically and in a very short time.

Jack
October 9, 2009

Jack in Virginia writes:

I appreciated President Obama's humility in accepting the award. Though, I wish he had been bestowed this honor later in his presidency. While I do believe his "reset button" policy has been important for reintroducing America to the world, the president has more to do to be fairly counted among the ranks of Nobel greats.

It will be very interesting to see how he handles the conflict in Afghanistan and the confrontation with Iran, in light of this award. I actually think the Peace Prize will place an added incentive on the shoulders of the president to strive for a durable peace all around the world. Perhaps that's what those crafty Norwegians were thinking when they voted for him.

Whatever calculus was used to determine the winner, I remain very proud of our president. I want him to succeed, I want him to lead, and I want him to restore America to its rightful place amongst the league of nations.

Best,

Jack

Jack
October 10, 2009

Jack in Virginia writes:

After reading articles in the NYTimes and WashPost this morning about the reaction to this Nobel unfoldment, I have just one additional thought I'd like to add: swing for the fences - on everything - Mr. President. Every president in recent memory has always sought a second term in order have the most time to accomplish their agenda. I think President Obama should do what Press Secretary Robert Gibbs suggested a few months back and cast the thought of reelection to the side to make meaningful change. Make peace between Israel and the Paltestinians, pass health care, go to Tehran, continue to bolster law enforcement (instead of CIA black sites) to combat terrorism, and do all the hard things that most presidents wait to do in the second term. Swing for the fences, Mr. Obama, and show the world that transformational leadership means that you might not win a second term. You may have to move back to Chicago a few years sooner than you had hoped, but you will sleep better at night knowing that you left office having done everything you could to restore America's Arthurian seat at the global Round Table.

Anyone else agree?

Best,

Jack

skin c.
October 10, 2009

S.C. writes:

Wouldn't it be nice if all nations actually would contribute to solutions to the challenges of the 21st century. It seems at times as though all nations expect the U.S. to take care of everything, leaving them free to criticize our every move.

I'm just sayin.

Naveen
India
October 11, 2009

Naveen in India writes:

I congratulate you president Obama from the small industrial town of India on being awarded noble peace prize and i too have lots of expectation from you and you are a role model for me, but at the same time I fear that this noble prize will compel you to take harsh steps against supply of nuclear fuel and reprocessing rights associated with it and I fear that you might take harsh steps against India and consequence of which have to be bear by poor Indians , let me bring your attention to the fact that not all Indians are privileged to have a light bulb in their house , I hope that this peace prize will not bring darkness into the life of fellow Indians but will inspire you to support the peaceful you of nuclear energy