From Silicon Valley to Foggy Bottom

Posted by Lorraine Hariton
September 17, 2009
Special Representative for Commercial and Business Affairs Lorraine Hariton

About the Author: Lorraine Hariton serves as the Special Representative for Commercial and Business Affairs at the U.S. Department of State.

This week, I joined the State Department as the Special Representative for Commercial and Business Affairs where I hope to work closely with the business community and U.S. embassies to open markets for U.S. goods and ensure a level playing field for American companies.

The high-tech mecca of Silicon Valley is a long way from the foreign policy hallways of Foggy Bottom. I spent more than 25 years in the information technology sector working with emerging technologies from mainframes to thin-client technology, internet audio solutions, speech applications and Smart Grid initiatives. I am convinced that the entrepreneurial spirit of Silicon Valley that fueled such tremendous economic growth in the United States can also be a vehicle for nation building around the world. I hope to bring that start-up mentality to new initiatives to the State Department.

Entrepreneurship that enables leverage business creation has been proven to be an effective tool to re-invigorate the global economy, expand job opportunity and alleviate poverty. Countries which foster a healthy entrepreneurial environment, ensure transparency, promote competitiveness and establish rule of law will benefit.

I also have been an advocate throughout my career for women’s equal participation in business. I plan to continue to foster the role of women in leadership positions in business around the world. Women’s participation in the business sector enables stronger, less corrupt economies.

In the weeks ahead I will be reaching out to the private sector and trade associations to ask them to help me identify where our commercial diplomacy efforts can further economic security and prosperity at home and abroad. I look forward to forging a partnership with the business community to help achieve our foreign policy objectives.

Comments

Comments

David
Texas, USA
September 17, 2009

David in Texas writes:

Lorraine Hariton is an excellent choice as a new State Department Special Representative. It is such a pleasure to have her leadership in our efforts to share U.S. technology with developing countries and to represent the American people as a very sucessful businesswomen. Her technology skills are superior -- She clearly is an effective communicator of new ideas -- Just a first rate addition to the State Department.

Normita
September 17, 2009

Normita in California writes:

Dear Ms. Hariton:

Congratulations on your new post at the State Department. Your experience and expertise are much needed in expanding our reach to nation's around the world in enhancing women's enterpreneurial spirit. In the Philippines, for instance, you will find thousands of women small business owners who tend to their fruit stands, to their corner stores, to their internet cafes, to their stalls that contribute to their livelihood and add beauty to the country's culture and traditions. What you bring to expand their independence is most welcome.

Best wishes.

Patrick
Maryland, USA
September 17, 2009

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Hi, Department People and Netizens .

I see the week is almost over i know everone is ready for the weekend :) . I think my net friend Hillary must be ready for a weekend off, or some rest and time with her family .

I hope everyone had a good week , i think your doing a great job especially with the MCC & Senegal work .

I also would like to say good luck too, Lorraine Hariton. I think she has a bright future as our special representative .

...Cya.. Guys & Gals later, keep smiling everyone . : )

bradley
Washington, USA
September 17, 2009

Bradley in Washington writes:

Congratulations on your assignement. How will you balance opening markets with offshoring U.S. jobs?

Virginia
September 18, 2009

Virginia in California writes:

Hi, Lorraine - we miss you already in Silicon Valley! I know you will be a strong ambassador for entrepreneurship in many new places. It is so important that you focus on education, democracy and entrepreneurship to help people create jobs. I do hope job creation abroad will also help to foster more cooperation and jobs in the U.S. as trade increases and there is a sharing of technical talent and expertise. I know you will also focus on more leadership roles for women. Good luck and know you have dear friends who are always willing to help you.

Rick
September 18, 2009

Rick in California writes:

What a change in govt from merely one year ago!!!

Emily
September 18, 2009

Emily in California writes:

Lorraine, it's lovely to have your first blog and we hope that within security and political considerations that you can keep it up. Great photo of you at State! It brings back many memories. Emy

Karyn S.
September 18, 2009

Karyn in California writes:

Lorraine, I am so enjoying your latest success. Thanks for the blog and commentary. I wish you the best in DC and will be following your progress. Best, Karyn

Lisa
September 18, 2009

Lisa in California writes:

Congrats and good luck, Lorraine! We look forward to the great opportunities you uncover and the successes you help build.

James H.
September 18, 2009

Jim H. in California writes:

Great to hear from you Lorraine. Now let's get this economy rolling. Looking forward to seeing you back in SV.

Kathleen H.
September 18, 2009

Kathleen H. in California writes:

Hi Lorraine,

I see you are "fired up and ready to go"! Please know we are all behind you in your endeavors and ready to help when and where we can. You are a perfect choice for this position and State is lucky to have you. I wish you the best!

Anne D.
September 18, 2009

Anne D. in California writes:

Lorraine,

Congrats on the new opportunity to bring the women entrepreneurial spirit in DC and in the world!

Bruce
September 18, 2009

Bruce in California writes:

Lorraine,

Thanks for keeping us informed of what you are doing. We miss your presence in Silicon Valley, but know that you will do great on a world stage. Keep us informed about what's happening and hope to see you in DC sometime

Linda
September 18, 2009

Linda in California writes:

Looking forward to hearing more and helping in any way I can! We're lucky to have you represent us in DC, Lorraine!

Sabra
September 19, 2009

Sabra in California writes:

Lorraine -- Great to have so many from the Silicon Valley in DC. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to your upcoming blog posts.

Gregory
Haiti
September 21, 2009

Gregory in Haiti writes:

Bravo, Ms. Hariton. We look forward to working with you and your team.

meri
September 22, 2009

Meri in California writes:

Go get 'em Lorraine. You are the perfect fit for the position! You have proven your entrepreneurial spirit over and over. Now go infect Washington.

Annette
September 28, 2009

Annette in California writes:

Congratulations Lorraine. What an awesome position--perfect for you. I don't kow if you remember me and "Hey Hey Hill/Oye Hillary".

Perhaps there is something I can help with in my position with Lockheed Martin. I am the California Government Relations Manager; working with a team all over the country and world to ensure our Corporation values and mission is understood by federal, state and local governments.

I will send you my electronic business card via email.

Again, Congratulations and enjoy your new adventure.
Annette R.