Travel Diary: In Cape Verde, Secretary Clinton Reflects on Africa Trip

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
August 14, 2009
Secretary Clinton Waves Following Her Arrival in Liberia
Secretary Clinton Addresses a Press Conference at the 8th Africa Growth Opportunity Act Conference (AGOA)
Secretary Clinton Address Attendees of the 8th Africa Growth Opportunity Act Conference (AGOA)
Secretary Clinton Carries a Wreath with the Help of Survivors at Memorial Park in Nairobi to Commemorate Victims of the 1998 Embassy Bombing
Secretary Clinton with Survivors of the 1998 Embassy Bombing
Secretary Clinton With Former South African President Nelson Mandela
Secretary Clinton Visits a Housing Project in South Africa
Secretary Clinton Loads Bricks at a Housing Project on the Outskirts of Cape Town
Secretary Clinton Speaks at HEAL Africa
Secretary Clinton Applauds as She is Greeted at the Heal Africa Clinic in Goma
Secretary Clinton Waits to Address Nigerian Government Officials and Industry Leaders in Abuja
Secretary Clinton Shakes Hands with a UN Policewoman in Monrovia
Secretary Clinton Waves as She Boards Her Plane in Abuja

Interactive Travel Map | Text the Secretary | Behind the Scenes PhotosIn Cape Verde today, Secretary Clinton reflected on her trip to Africa.

As Secretary Clinton wrapped up her trip to Africa, she spoke with reporters in Santa Maria, Cape Verde. Among the press accompanying the Secretary to Africa, Matthew Lee of the Associated Press wrote about the trip's conclusion.

In her remarks, the Secretary said: "I leave Africa even more committed about what lies ahead. The Obama administration has delivered ... a message of tough love. We are not sugarcoating the problems. We're not shying away from them."

Comments

Comments

Lori
Ohio, USA
August 15, 2009

Lori in Ohio writes:

Secretary Clinton, Thank you for taking so much of your time to visit countries in Africa. Your courageous and thoughtful trip is so important. You continue to inspire me.

Normita
August 15, 2009

Normita in California writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton:

We are proud of your hard work and dedication you brought to the people of Africa. The images of love and connection with them are memorable.

Thank you for your service to our country and the world. God bless you and those you touched with courage and compassion.

Sincerely,
Normita
a proud hillaryvillager

Patrick
Maryland, USA
August 15, 2009

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Hi,Ya Netizen

well it's Friday night or saturday morning :) .

I think Hillary's Visit to Africa went very good . I liked watching the Videos, and reading about her visit. The Secretarys dancing with the people there was kind of funny ,but she didn't sing so were good .LoL :)Just Kidding

I'm hoping that we will have a closer relationship with Africa in the future. They have a really nice country, and from the picture some very nice people living there.

..Cya, Hillary and people of the Department of State.:)

Pedro
Massachusetts, USA
August 15, 2009

Pedro in Massachusetts writes:

I love the fact that you visited my island in Cape Verde. I am so happy that you had a chance to relax at the great RIU chain. Perhaps on your next trip take me with you since I know the island very well.

Thanks,
Pedro

Wlliam
Netherlands
August 16, 2009

William in the Netherlands writes:

Most of to days conflicts are a result of the past! When one reads : The war of 1898 and the U.S. interventions 1898-1934,an encyclopedia edited by Benjamin R. Beede, can explain a loth of conflicts like Cuba, Philipines, Guatamala, Haiti, etc. etc. This means that problems in these areas, can be viewed in the old way of thinking, so one can find solutions for these conflicts in the world of to day!

John
Greece
August 16, 2009

John in Greece writes:

@ William in Holland -- I do not know the accuracy of your history refs, but friends become enemies and sometimes ex-enemies become next-friends. Especially after centuries. This is life! Otherwise we would have a permanent vendetta.

@ Pedro in Massachusetts -- First, "it's" islands. Second, do you still think that visiting Cape Verde was such a relax visit for Secret Service and Madame Secretary? They are heroes being there! Pedro, probably you confused Corfu with Bahamas. She (Madame Secretary) does not make vacations. Otherwise, she had better places to choose than this diary.

John
Greece
August 18, 2009

John in Greece writes:

@ Pedro in Massachusetts -- To make myself even more clear: not exactly a "relax" trip, right? Only a few people in the world can "run" so good and fast as a U.S. Secretary of State!

I'm really considering to visit (for tourism) Cape Verde next summer. This is something Cape Verderers "owe" to Mrs. Clinton visit.

Best Regards!

Anna P.
Italy
August 24, 2009

Anna P. in Italy writes:

I am so happy that Secretary Clinton visited Cape Verde. I was translating for Mrs. Adelcia Barreto Leite, the President's wife in May when she came to Los Angeles for the First African First Ladies Health Summit. I was astounded with all Mrs. Adelcia told me, that 90% of children are in school and interested in furthering their education, that more than 50% of women are in important political positions and that they have legal abortion clinics. President Leite empowered his wife and I thnk their example is a major motivaton for other countries in Africa. I am glad now that the news on Cape Verde's progress is becoming of greater attention by the U.S. government. As I speak Portuguese, let me know if I can collaborate for furtherng this exchange.