Fulbright-mtvU Fellows Promote “Power of Music”

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
July 9, 2009
Drummer in Lagos, Nigeria

About the Authors: Heidi Manley and James Lawrence serve in the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and mtvU, MTV’s 24-hour college network, announced on July 8 the four 2009 winners of the Fulbright–mtvU Fellowships, established in 2007 to promote “the power of music” as a global force for mutual understanding. We awarded fellowships to Andrew Magill of the University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill, Michael Silvers of the University of California—Los Angeles, Rod Solaimani of Georgetown University and Tina Wadhwa of Columbia University. These four outstanding students will conduct research abroad in Malawi, Brazil, Morocco, and India, respectively, for one academic year on projects of their own design, around an aspect of international musical culture.

Andrew will travel to Malawi to work with the UNC Malawi Project and AIDS organizations to video-record narratives of Malawian families and communities affected by HIV/AIDS. Andrew will collaborate with Peter Mawanga, a well-known musician and social activist, to develop a concept album whose sales will benefit AIDS social service networks.

Working with Vila Estúdio, a recording studio in Fortaleza, Ceará, Michael will study the relationship between the culture of forró, a kind of popular dance music, and the climate of northeastern Brazil.

Rod will travel to Morocco to study and participate in the Afro-Arab-Gnawa-Western musical exchange. A skilled percussionist, he will research the impact of U.S.-Moroccan musical partnerships in three cities, use his findings in local high school music curricula, and promote cross-cultural collaboration with a student concert.

Tina will travel to India to create a documentary exploring the impact and influence of Bollywood music on underprivileged youth in Mumbai. She will also develop the music and drama center of the Akanksha Foundation.

Andrew, Michael, Rod and Tina will share their experiences during their Fulbright year via video reports, blogs and podcasts that will be showcased on mtvU and mtvU.com, and on Fulbright.mtvU.com. This will help to project their research and findings to mtvU’s following of more than 9 million college students on 750 campuses. The Fulbright-mtvU Fellows will not only be able to engage with the communities they are living in, but also with Americans and the international community at-large.

The Fulbright Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, is the U.S. government’s flagship international exchange program and is supported by the people of the United States and partner countries around the world. Since 1946, it has provided more than 294,000 grants to participants from over 155 countries. The more than 1,500 Fulbright U.S. Student Program grants offered annually provide an opportunity to study, teach and conduct research, to exchange ideas and contribute to finding solution to shared international concerns. The Fulbright Program and mtvU also announced the launch of our search for the next Fulbright-mtvU Fellows. Applications for the Fulbright-mtvU Fellowships, and all other Fulbright U.S. Student Program grants, including traditional research grants and English Teaching Assistantships, will be accepted through October 19, 2009.

Comments

Comments

George G.
Georgia
July 10, 2009

George G. in Georgia writes:

congratulations to Andrew Magill.
this is really nice story

Johnson
Illinois, USA
July 13, 2009

Johnson in Illinois writes:

Music is one of the enjoyment part in our life,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

joe
Tennessee, USA
July 13, 2009

Joe in Tennessee writes:

On the primary human level, we all share the same hopes, dreams and good will. People are basically good in nature as LRH declares and anyone who has been in any war zone has seen.

As such, completive social events as sports and talents such as music are common factors in life. A master carpenter in Ghana is as admired for his craft as a master carpenter in the U.S.; they are the crafts of man and women alike. Skills learned and appreciated on the singular level by all.

Music is one of the arts which incorporate both the singular skills and collective skills of any society and culture. It has the ability to communicate and reflect its environment more so then other crafts in this regard.

Rathana
July 21, 2009

Rathana in U.S.A. writes:

I would like seek continuing my high education in the United States of America, because I think that studying in my own country is not enough, and I want to exchange the culture with people from different countries. I want to help improve my knowledge, my family, my community, my countries. And I want to get more information! Thanks you very much!

benjamain
Mali
July 21, 2009

Benjamin in Mali writes:

to follow my studies in USA is my dream and my hope. English is like a passport of the world for me and I want to follow my studies in the US because I admire the system of US education. From the time I am applying; I am studying in OPIE; in Ohio as an undergraduate student. I am enjoying my studies here and I am realizing that this kind of education will help me fulfill my dream. I am also studying Russian and French; so in the future, I want to be a translator. I like American culture, society and communities. I Thank you for your understanding and hope to read from you soon!

John B.
South Africa
August 10, 2009

John B. in South Africa writes:

I am applying for fulbright scholarship in international economics or development studies, Kindly furnish with information for admission.

Ahmedou
Mauritania
August 11, 2009

Ahmedou in Mauritania writes:

INTERESTED

Dian
Indonesia
August 11, 2009

Dian in Indonesia writes:

I'd like to ask for PhD program in Pharmacology + its scholarship

Nguyen T.
Vietnam
August 14, 2009

Nguyen in Vietnam writes:

I have a dream that I come to U.S.

May
Burma
August 23, 2009

May in Burma writes:

George.K
India
September 9, 2009

George K. in India writes:

I am applying for fulbright scholarship in international Social work or development studies, Kindly furnish with information for admission.I am Finished Master of Social Work and Working with Grass root NGO at Indian Charitable Trust. Please send details as soon as possible.

Thanks & regards,
George.K

Aditya
Illinois, USA
September 15, 2009

Aditya in Illinois writes:

I am an MS student at UIUC, USA, joined in Fall 2009 session in the Department of Civil engg. in the area of Geo-technical engineering.

I am currently not provided any type of Assistantship and/ or research/ teaching grant. I am an IITian from the prestigious IIT Roorkee, India. I am excellent sportman and equally satisfactory in my studies with 8.4 grade in my B.Tech.

I request you to kindly guide me to such grant to enable me concentrate on my studies without much of financial hicups.

S.Elyas
Afghanistan
September 19, 2009

Elyas in Afghanistan writes:

I am a 2nd year student of Civil Engineering college. As you all know, my country don't have any higher education facilities rather than BA. As you all know, and I don't want to define myself, AFGHAN students are one of the most talented students in the world. My father is a an instructor in one of the European countries. I have an average of +85%. I think providing higher eduction for countries such as Afghanistan should be more prior than countries which are not experiencing war and violence at the present time.

Every day, when I surf the web for Afghanistan news, I just see how many people dies and injures. I hope you and your team support me in my higher education. I cannot at least ME, cannot bear current Afghan situation.

Notes, I am great in computers, I work as a part time IT OFFICER in an NGO in my city.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Wisneau
Haiti
October 5, 2009

Wisneau in Haiti writes:

I would like to become a fulbrighter

Siddikov
Uzbekistan
October 10, 2009

Siddikov in Uzbekistan writes:

I work on branch working witn Plastic cards at "AGROBANK" in Uzbekistan. I am applying for fulbright scholarship in international economics or development studies. As you all know, many countries take last structure of any developed parts from other economical strong countries for their economical rising. So as I want to study at developed country and i also want to help my country's economic sector to developing I hope to hear from you soon.

Thomas W.
Guinea
October 11, 2009

Thomas W. in Guinea writes:

I would like to be fulbrighter for I have great ambition to help young people from my country to be valuable researchers in environment domain if I am trained to be environmentalist, though I have a background in botany concerning the conservation of biodiversity.

Abay
Ethiopia
October 14, 2009

Abay in Ethiopia writes:

Warm greeting, I am English Instructor.I work and live in Ethiopia.I have a strong desire to persue my second degree in the USA.Please, help me find the open doors for Fulbright scholarships. With Many Thanks.

Daniel S.
October 14, 2009

DipNote Bloggers write:

@ Abay in Ethiopia -- You can find a wealth of information about the Fulbright program at its homepage on the state.gov website: http://fulbright.state.gov/. Good luck!