United We Serve: Answering the Call

Posted by L.J. Krizner
June 25, 2009
Soup Kitchen in New Hampshire

About the Author: L.J. Krizner serves as an Education Program Specialist at the U.S. Diplomacy Center.

Have you ever cracked 50 dozen eggs at once – and then scrambled them? The State Department Young Professionals have!

Motivated State Department employees from State’s Young Professionals Group (YPro) generously offer their time, energy and cooking skills to Miriam's Kitchen, one of the soup kitchens in the District of Columbia.

Each month, YPro volunteers rise extra early to arrive at Miriam’s by 6:00 a.m. in time to crack eggs, make biscuits, fill the coffee pots and cereal bowls, and serve up to 250 guests. A dedicated group, YPro volunteers also participate in other service opportunities with Miriam’s Kitchen. YPro members collect cereal, clothes and books when needed. This year, YPro also gathered a team to "Walk for the Homeless" and volunteered at Miriam's annual gala event. The State Department's YPro has been privileged to maintain a relationship with Miriam’s Kitchen for five years.

Miriam’s Kitchen is centered on a breakfast program that provides delicious food and meets the nutritional needs of homeless individuals, particularly those who are the lowest functioning among the homeless population. Food is donated from local groceries, farmers’ markets and individuals, and is prepared each morning by volunteers. By providing food and relief from the elements, Miriam’s is able to attract a large number of guests. Because Miriam’s staff also includes skilled social workers, case managers, and volunteers, Miriam’s is able to develop individual relationships with its guest, so longer-term needs can be addressed.

This summer, President Obama is calling on all of us to serve in our communities, and there are many ways to get involved. Serve.gov is your online resource for not only finding volunteer opportunities in your community, but also creating your own.

Comments

Comments

Syrian P.
Syria
June 26, 2009

SNP in Syria writes:

Trillions of Dollars rubber stamped by Congress for Cyber Wars, Star Wars, War on Terror, Iraq War, Afghan War, The Drug War... and here cometh, Work for Free and Soup Kitchens. Whatever happened to the American Dream. It only exists now in happy ending fictional movies produced by Fox Movie channel.

June 26, 2009

I have had an unusual relatonship with a homeless shelter in my hometown for the last decade.

Every time I get a traffic ticket, parking...whatever..I go into court, plead insanity ("I must have been nuts for not wearing my seatbelt, your Honor") and ask the mercy of the court to let me do community service instead of pay fines which I don't have the money to pay.

So for the last ten years, this homeless shelter has gotten professional painting services for free on a semi-annual basis.

It has become a running joke with me and the staff that anytime they need something painted, they can simply call the cops and have them give me a ticket...(chuckle).

Good to see the Dept of State helping the homeless.

@ SNP, I suggest you go do your good deed for the day and find a beggar on the street and take him to lunch. Maybe he'll give you an attitude adjustment in return.

Mark
June 27, 2009

Mark writes:

And we should be serving our communities...if we all give just a little bit, we can do wonders.

John
Greece
June 27, 2009

John in Greece writes:

@ Eric in New Mexico -- "not wearing your seatbelt"? (LOL) - Let's go downtown! (CHUCKLE)

@ SNP: do you wear YOUR own seatbelts?

You know, it's not a movie...

It's real!

Forget the American Dream (YOU cannot define) and explain us what happened to the "Syrian" Dream?

Is it getting darker and darker? A nightmare?

Dan
Oregon, USA
June 28, 2009

Dan in Oregon writes:

Thanks for sharing the backlinks to www.Serve.gov so more folks can get involved in serving those whose needs are greater than ours. I volunteer at a second-hand clothing store where the proceeds go to fund a homeless mission for men and single mothers. I can't tell you how much I get out of doing this. From the good feelings of helping others to an increased sense of self-worth, volunteering really resonates with me! I hope everyone that reads this will get involved with www.Serve.gov

Syrian P.
Syria
June 28, 2009

SNP in Syria writes:

@ John in Greece. Alive and well, Nothing happened to the Syrian Dream, Every Syrian from Seventh grade share the same dream, get out, immigrate, escape to any place other than Iraq. It has been that way since March 8, 1963. I take it that is the Syrian Dream you are inquiring about, for the fake one you need to email an ex Baathist living in paris.