A Note From the Spokesman

Posted by Ian Kelly
June 18, 2009
Secretary Clinton on Rainbow Bridge

Status Update: June 19, 2009About the Author: Ian Kelly serves as the State Department Spokesman.

Thank you all for your get-well wishes to Secretary Clinton. The Secretary is currently working from home and resting comfortably. Please see the statement below from Cheryl D. Mills, the State Department’s Counselor and Chief of Staff that we released last night. As the statement notes, the Secretary will have surgery in the coming days. Again, we thank you for your concern, and we’ll keep you updated.

Statement of Cheryl D. Mills, Counselor and Chief of Staff, State Department

On the way to the White House late this afternoon, Secretary Clinton fell and suffered a right elbow fracture. She was treated at The George Washington University Hospital before heading home. She will undergo surgery to repair her elbow in the upcoming week. Secretary Clinton appreciates the professionalism and kindness she received from the medical team who treated her this evening and looks forward to resuming her full schedule soon.

Comments

Comments

susiepuma
Minnesota, USA

Susie in Minnesota writes:

Best wishes for a speedy, speedy recovery from the surgery -- we need you back on the front line ASAP..............

Would prefer your status be POTUS but don't see that happening for at least the next 3 1/2 years.............

Kathy
Connecticut, USA
June 22, 2009

Kathy in Connecticut writes:

Here are my wishes and hopes for you to heal quickly Madame Secretary! Hope you are free from pain and fully functional very soon. My best to you, Kathy

PUMA D.
June 22, 2009

PUMA Democrat in California writes:

Dear Hillary, I hope you have a speedy recovery.
I support you all the way.
We need you Hillary.

Carol
South Carolina, USA
June 22, 2009

Carol in South Carolina writes:

Dear Madam Secretary,

I hope you have a speedy recovery from your elbow fracture. I have followed your career and am sorry you are not our leader.

Sincerely,
Carol
Puma

Sue
June 22, 2009

Sue in California writes:

Dear Madam Secretary

Just a quick note to wish you a speedy recovery. I wish you could have the time to heal in a relaxed situation but I know you have probably been working intensely since the anesthetic wore off! Anyway, take care and get better soon. Thank you, as always, for everything you do for our country.

Sincerely

Sue

Carol

Carol in New York writes:

Dear Madame Hillary: I hope you are recovering from your surgery and will be 100% back to full good health soon! More and more Americans are wishing that YOU were the President of the United States as the jerk in office doesn't know the first thing about running this country. So hurry back so you can do HIS work for him as you have been doing all along! Love You.

Phyllis
Montana, USA
June 22, 2009

Phyllis in Montana writes:

Hi Hillary and family,
I am sorry that you have injured yourself so painfully. It had to be your right elbow, right? Thank you for making this email source available for us. I couldn't find one that worked for you, until I saw this one on PUMAPAC blog. Getting through security for cards or other things, makes people pause in sending things, I think. You are dearly loved by your 18 million plus. I am also proud of the work you are trying to do. Don't try to be too brave. Take your time to heal slowly. Hopefully, you will only have to do this once.
P.C.

Mary
June 22, 2009

Mary in California writes:

Dear Madam Secretary Clinton:

I am sorry about your fall and wish for you a speedy recovery. I know the MYF benediction is meaningful to you, so I say it again, " May the Lord bless you and keep you. May He make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. May He lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace" always. I will always love you for your wonderful campaign and the hope and encouragement you gave millions of people including many millions of women and children.

CJ
Wyoming, USA

CJ in Wyoming writes:

Dear Madame Secretary (and still my ideal for President),

I was so sorry to learn of your injury. I'm hoping that the surgery has properly corrected the fracture and that it will heal well with no difficulties. I offer my best wishes for your speedy recovery with minimal discomfort. Thank you for all that you've done and are doing as a hard-working public servant diligently trying to help improve the lives of ALL Americans and the lives of women worldwide.
Sincerely,

Patty
Oregon, USA

Patty in Oregon writes:

Get well soon Hillary...we love the work you are doing, and will continue to do..you are OUR GIRL.....

MJ
Illinois, USA

MJ in Illinois writes:

Dear Hill-a-ry,

May your six weeks of mending fly by.

Mary Jo
One of 18 Million
A proud hillaryvillager

virginia
Pennsylvania, USA

Virginia in Pennsylvania writes:

Dear Hillary,

Get Well Soon. We need you.

Virginia Mullen

PUMA

Normita F.

Normita in California writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton,

Sorry about your accident. Get well soon. Candles with prayers are on the way to you from your hillaryvillagers.

Best wishes,
Normita, a proud hillaryvillager
villager4ever

Normita

Normita in California writes:

Dear Madam Secretary:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. We're here when you need us.

One of 18 million,
Normita

sue f.
Arizona, USA

Sue F. in Arizona writes:

Secretary Clinton: Best wishes for a speedy recovery- you came back to work pretty quick- you are going to be tired for awhile- take it easy and give it time to heal.
I am very proud of what a great job you are doing as SOS, if only it were as POTUS.

Carmen

Carmen in New York writes:

Madam Secretary,

You are loved and respected by millions of women and men all over the world! Get well soon.

Ann
Pennsylvania, USA

Ann in Pennsylvania writes:

Dear Madam Secretary,
I hope you are feeling better. Please take care of yourself and follow your doctor's orders. I know it will be very hard for you to just rest and not work--you are such a worker bee! Please be patient as your arm heals. Our nation is counting on your wisdom, leadership and fortitude to saveguard our future. With God's help you will be our next president.
May God bless and keep you always in the palm of His hand.
With deepest respect and admiration,
Ann Finnerty

Joni
Illinois, USA

Joni in Illinois writes:

Dearest Hillary, Just a time to slow down and take a long deserved rest. I will never forget that marvelous campaign , the brilliant woman and that charming and gracious heart. you are an inspiration to millions. Joni

Jean
Missouri, USA

Jean in Missouri writes:

Dearest Hillary: I was saddened to hear of your recent fall. I want to wish you a comfortable and fast recovery, as WE NEED YOU!! You are an inspiration to all women (and men) everywhere. We need you to keep us safe! God's speed! Jean.

cahillary

Mae in California writes:

GET WELL SOON! Madam Secretary.

we are rooting for rapid recovery.

Lots of love and hug.

From
Mae

Jacknap E.
India

Jacknap in India writes:

It's awful to know that M'am Hillary slipped & fractured her elbow. Wish her a speedy recovery!! Secretary Clinton has a critically important portfolio of foreign affairs.

She might be immersed in her thoughts of the workload in terms of swapping mindsets with respect to the number of nations & countries., Also since it's the right hand elbow, she is necessitated in her office as to find a soul help to carry on her official acts.
It's good that the harm didn't carry up on other physical parts!! And also thanx to almighty that the injury didn't go out of the Doctors' scope.
Such things happen.
In Hindi we say...
Only those fall who ride on the horse backs.,
The ones who crawl on their knees, will neither rise nor fall in.,
Now Mr Willaims'll've to do some house chores!! Ha! Ha!

Luis N.

Luis N. in New York writes:

Hillary: we're praying for you as always, and we were very happy to see those pictures of you in the White House yesterday wearing your cast.You are so beatiful and I'll always be in love with you! Marry me Hillary! god bless you beatiful Lady.

Luis, NYC

Emma
United Kingdom

Emma in the United Kingdom writes:

Dear Hillary, I hope you feel better soon. I dislocated my elbow last year and had it in a cast for 3 weeks. Take good care of yourself, I understand how you feel right now. I supported you last year and I am supporting you now and in the future. Take good care of yourself and rest. Look forward to seeing you up and about soon.

Kindest Regards Emma x

Sharon
June 24, 2009

Sharon in New York writes:

Well thoughts and healthy wishes to our Wonderful SOS.

All of us who helped during your campaign, stay in touch with you while in your travels, best we can.

God's love and strength to you -- we still miss you.

Donald
June 24, 2009

Donald in Virginia writes:

Caution when reading this message, talks about a new safety approach to vehicles

Watching these plane accidents, train collisions people perishing and Once again I have to keep trying to stress the point, change needs to happen. The greatest people and minds in the country can design planes to fly around the world but when it comes to our safety, what happens? The black box is the one recovered. You might find out the signalling for the train could be in another state.

Safety should be at the top of the list for anyone flying, driving, sailing, on a train or even in a helicopter.

When tradegy strikes people usually don't take an interest until they found out it could be one of their loved ones, on that plane or on that train.

I have been preaching up a storm trying to get the right people to see my vision of the next generation safety tools for all Aircraft, helicopters, planes, Jets, Trains, Ships and even boats.

Stating a fact...We all know that people who ride motor cycles have a safer chance with a helmet on. It protects the head of the person.

My idea is using that same material on protecting the entire body of person when inside any of the vehicles mentioned, only I call this new safety device "Emergency Escape Pod's" the arguments I hear from people discussed, it would weight the plane down, or burn more fuel.

Well let me put it this way who cares...When we purchase a ticket to ride on anything, we want to get their safe and sound. If the plane or helicopter is heavier, okay but atleast you have an emergency POD that will get you out safe. Even with the ejection seats on a fighter jet is not perfect. We have to design this EE POD so that YES even a fighter Pilot can use this in the cockpit and allow them to evacuate safe. So when there is talk about high speed trains in the United States consider my idea of the Emergency Escape Pod's be added to protect the consumer and bring in better safety standards. Sure the EE POD might look like something from the 25th Century but the goal is having a device that will save your life in an emergency.

Gobless and hope the right people see this message

Normita
June 24, 2009

Normita in California writes:

Dear Chief,

On behalf of your villagers, best wishes on your recovery. We are ready on a moment's notice when you send your smoke signals - you should be our POTUS.

Love and prayers,
hillaryvillagers

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA
June 24, 2009

Rosemary from New Jersey writes:

Dearest Hillary,

Sending continued wishes for a complete recovery and prayers for your safety and good health. You are very precious to us!

Please remember that you have to be careful after anesthesia! It takes a long time to wear off. Please do not push yourself too hard.

As you can see from everybody's notes, you are America's Sweetheart. We love you. Whether you go out into the wide world or the world comes here to you, you are our Valentine to the world. I don't know whether you can see this because I cannot preview here, so I don't know whether or not the code works, but here's something from Valentine's Day. It's true all year.

Glitter Graphics

I hope it is visible and not just code!

Love and hugs,
Rosemary
New Jersey

Molly
June 26, 2009

Molly in Washington DC writes:

Best wishes, Madame Secretary! Take care of yourself.

Normita
June 27, 2009

Normita in California writes:

Dear Chief,

As we continue to do, our candles are lit with prayers for your health and safety.

Love,
Normita
village gatekeeper

Jackie
June 29, 2009

Jackie in California writes:

Please pass this on to Hillary. Please take care of yourself remember you and I are baby boomers and we now how to listen to our bodies. Your so busy these day but take some time to rest and relax with the Family. Ya I know Chelsea is grown but use the cell and check on her. I guess seeing Michael Jackson at 50 leave us, I'm being more careful. I watched that kid grow up as I did with my kids. Hillary just take good care of yourself your really important to me and ok the U.S. Thanks for letting me speak up. I promise I want go off again but just my thoughts. Working on your campaign I met so many new friends all over the U.S. thanks to you. So I just had to speak up.

A Friend always Jackie