A Note From the Spokesman

Posted by Ian Kelly
June 18, 2009
Secretary Clinton on Rainbow Bridge

Status Update: June 19, 2009About the Author: Ian Kelly serves as the State Department Spokesman.

Thank you all for your get-well wishes to Secretary Clinton. The Secretary is currently working from home and resting comfortably. Please see the statement below from Cheryl D. Mills, the State Department’s Counselor and Chief of Staff that we released last night. As the statement notes, the Secretary will have surgery in the coming days. Again, we thank you for your concern, and we’ll keep you updated.

Statement of Cheryl D. Mills, Counselor and Chief of Staff, State Department

On the way to the White House late this afternoon, Secretary Clinton fell and suffered a right elbow fracture. She was treated at The George Washington University Hospital before heading home. She will undergo surgery to repair her elbow in the upcoming week. Secretary Clinton appreciates the professionalism and kindness she received from the medical team who treated her this evening and looks forward to resuming her full schedule soon.

Comments

Comments

James T.
Canada
June 19, 2009

James in Canada writes:

Madam Secretary,

As one of those who witnesses your amazing work from abroad, all the best and a speedy recovery.

PS: Appreciated the red pant suit when you visited Canada late last week. Very nice touch. True class all the way!

Sandy
Minnesota, USA
June 19, 2009

Sandy from Minnesota writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton,

As a long time supporter, I was so sorry to hear of your fall. Please rest and take the time to recover.

Your grace, strength, and brilliance are an inspiration to myself and to a world which needs you.

Still proudly displaying my treasured Hillary button on my car!

With great respect,
Sandy

Carole W.
Illinois, USA
June 19, 2009

Carole from Illinois writes:

Hope you are resting comfortably and are well on your way to a complete recovery! Thanks for all you do and have done. You are an inspiration to women worldwide.

In the meantime, please take advantage of this "forced vacation" and don't work too hard while recovering!

Best of luck, and with much admiration,

Carole Winter

Kathleen
Massachusetts, USA
June 19, 2009

Kathy writes:

Please accept my wishes for a speedy and as painless a recovey as possible.

To have something so ordinary happen such an extra-ordinary woman, makes me sad.

But I know you are such a dynamo, you won't let this set you back one bit.

Best wishes,

Kathy Gill

Adrienne
June 19, 2009

Adrienne in California writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton,

We are praying for your quick recovery and hope your surgery will be uneventful and successful.

We are very proud of the work you do for our country and the world and are looking forward to see what you do next after a well deserved rest.

Flavius
June 19, 2009

Flavius in Virginia writes:

Get that elbow healed up right quick!

I got a feeling you might be needing it a lot real soon.

Maria
June 19, 2009

Maria in Florida writes:

Sec. Clinton, My prayers are for you to have a speedy recovery. Rest while you can and please know that we are all thinking of you.

Carole M.
June 19, 2009

Carole from Florida writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton:

Just wanted to say I'm praying for you and for a speedy recovery--with limited pain.

God Bless and thank you for your love of country.

Carole Moore
Ocala, Fl

Joe
Tennessee, USA

Joe in Tennessee writes:

I hope your results are good and healing goes well. I can empithise and advise you to take good care of it post surgery...

I went out on assignment after cutting off my cast; so, I can understand your true courage, professinalism and care about our Great Nation.

Be well and heal quickly...

Jean
Colorado, USA

Jean in Colorado writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton: I am so sorry about your elbow injury. Not fun! Take the meds, do the therapy, and, as my 82-year-old neighbor, Charlotte, told me after I fractured my wrist in November, "We have to get used to the new normal." She's right. You'll probably feel it in the cool, damp weather, now and forever. Take care, and I hope you feel better each day. Thank you for the wonderful work that you and the Administration are doing. What a joy to have you people in charge and working for this country.

Masood

Masood in California writes:

Secretary Clinton, wish you a speedy recovery.

barbarashearing
Canada

Barbara in Canada writes:

Just want to wish Hilary a speedy recovery! May you heal your elbow quickly and enjoy the summer days to come!

Katrin
Canada

Katrin in Canada writes:

Ouch! Curses to whatever it was that tripped you up. I had elbow surgery a few years back after an awkward fall - full recovery=yes, but the soft-tissue damage from surgery was far worse than the break from the fall itself - so best wishes for good sleep.

It is astounding to see how many VIFs (very-important-files!) have wheels under them again since you took over. Yay for Smart Power (you can come up with some more of that at home without your elbow).

Judith

Judith in New York writes:

Glad to hear your surgery went well! Feel better, and get well soon! We love you, Hillary!

Donald

Donald writes:

I wish and pray Mrs. Hillary Clinton will have the best possible recovery with this elbow accident. May the angels watch over her during surgery! Godbless and peace, along with goodwill from the heart!

Get well soon!!!

Stacy
Massachusetts, USA

Stacy in Massachusetts writes:

Best wishes Secretary Clinton-

My prayers are with you and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

In the meantime, get lost of rest and don't overdo it- kick back and read a good book - didn't you say you hadn't had time to read a book since becoming Secretary of State? Here's your chance- see, the glass is always half full!

Best,
Stacy

Terry G.
Connecticut, USA

Terry in Connecticut writes:

Best wishes Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Get that elbow healed.

Cindy
Washington, USA

Cindy in Washington writes:

Sec. Clinton - From your "300" club - we all wish you a speedy and full recovery. Our country's diplomacy and peace efforts throughout the world are safest in your hands - and until you can use both of them, with elbows to help, we are at a loss.

May God be with you in your recovery. I know your family, friends, and 18 million+ cracks in the ceiling are with you.

tracey
New Jersey, USA

Tracey in New Jersey writes:

Get well soon Madame Secretary. We need you... Heal fast.

Raul
Texas, USA

Raul in Texas writes:

I wish Sec. Clinton a speedy recovery. It is a very painful injury to hurt ones arm this way. Please consider alternative treatment with Acupuncture and use of a Hyperbaric chamber unit. It will accelerate your return to full mobility.

I would like to know what time of day did this accident occur. Was it 4 PM or 5 PM or 6 PM or later? Please let me know the time of day it occurred. This is an important item for the recovery protocol I will send back to you to try. Thank you...

Veyry

Veyry in California writes:

dearest Hillary:
I pray that you'll recover very soon,and we'll have you back this monday.Our country needs the Best Leader we can have, YOU ; you've made us very proud
around the world.I can't wait to see you this monday; you'll look beatiful with your cast aan as elegant as ever.Go Hillary, you got our back! God bless you SMART POWER!
VeyryCalif

Preston
Nebraska, USA

Preston in Nebraska writes:

Madame Secretary Clinton:

I am one of those "18 million cracks in the ceiling" and wish you a quick recovery. We need you and your brilliance. So rest up have a scotch or two. : )

Patrick
Maryland, USA
June 21, 2009

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Hi, Hillary And Department of States Staff.

I heard about your elbow fracture and hope you are feeling better after your surgery. I Know your staff will be ready to help you with your work, so try not to push your self to do everything. :)

Have A Great Week, and Rest When You Can. :) Cya :) :)

Sacha
June 21, 2009

Sacha in New York writes:

Dear Madam Secretary Clinton:

Wishing you a fast recovery from your injury.
I felt very bad when I heard about it.
Hope you feel better, thinking about you.

You are working too much, I think the job is too demanding.

The best to you.

Sincerely,
Sacha

Ron
June 21, 2009

Ron in New York writes:

The Iranian Moment...

Now is the moment for vocal and visible statement of solidarity between USG and Iranians desparate for freedom. Let history record our clear and proactive position of support. It is the turning of the middle-east. Wake up!

Jim
June 22, 2009

Jim writes:

although I don't agree with everything Hillary Clinton stands for, I wish her well. She is truly a tough lady.

RANDRIMAMPIONONA S.
Madagascar
June 23, 2009

Randrimampionona in Madgascar writes:

Mr president of the United States of the America
Mm secretary of the Dep of State gov
The all Member of Governement of United states of the America
The allCommadeur of the Defence of the United States of the America
The all Army and Peole of the United States of the America
Happy Father's day Mr president
On be half of the Peace World and the all United and Union Nation member in the us Peace World ,I'm write for give strong and effort for you and your Familly and us all member in Governement and defence and the all people of the United States of the America use for we can not stop contunie realize us work for remove us rate economic and system security defence for the United States of the America the strong of base and fund of the satability for development a long time Ago on security defence and economic the World Nation.For the event hard war on terrorism in Europe Mr president to be we need ready every time and not stop survey and localize the all point startegy and armement nuclear terrorism in Eroupe because the us enemy terrroism are very danger and have armement nuclear powerfull.

To be the us negociation of war in Russian Union is already build and enssure total ,Also we dont fear and when we existe object not clear in Europe use he prepare atack us Nation we not wait anothere give ordeur and anotere autorized for launch us atack and us hard war on terrorism for desroy total the all point strategy defence and usine and armement nuclear terrorism in Eroupe Contunent.Mr president we not play and not mercy and need struict for take in all deceide need for protect and rescue us United States of the America and us people America not victim.I hope you are already capable the all United and Union Nation and Country acompany of the us PEACE WORLD ,there is not in the black list terrorism International.For the event hard war on terrorim in Madagascar we need rest calm and rest take us position for survey and protect on Inter-Musil and Anti-Mussil as far as I'm give us ordeur for cahnge us protection to became for atack and to beging us Hard war go to the Madagascar Nation use for rescue us peole and state and us mg-defence not victime on the hands of the enemy rebellion terrorism International.Mr president I'm confurme for the we are the next president legale of the satate of Madagascar .
The God us protege
Your Copeartion
RANDRIAMAMPIONONA SOLOMON
PEACE WORLD
IVORY-ANTSIRABE-MADAGASCAR
AFRICA CONTUNENT

Sally
West Virginia, USA
June 22, 2009

Sally in West Virginia writes:

Hillary,
So sorry to hear of your fall. Praying for your quick recovery. Don't overuse that arm and do your physical therapy like a good girl! You are doing such a terrific job. Thank you for all you do.

PUMA D.
June 23, 2009

PUMA Democrat in California writes:

Dear Hillary,
I am also one of 18 million that still support you and hope you have a speedy recovery. We PUMAs want to send you flowers or at least a card to wish you well and send our respect and love to you, but you are a difficult lady to reach these days. I am still waiting for you to be my President, I was in Denver and know what happened. I won't forget.
The best to you and you make us proud.

cat b.
Massachusetts, USA
June 22, 2009

Cat in Massachusetts writes:

Feel better soon, Secretary Clinton. Thank you for your excellent service.
C. Burke