A Note From the Spokesman

Posted by Ian Kelly
Secretary Clinton on Rainbow Bridge

Status Update: June 19, 2009About the Author: Ian Kelly serves as the State Department Spokesman.

Thank you all for your get-well wishes to Secretary Clinton. The Secretary is currently working from home and resting comfortably. Please see the statement below from Cheryl D. Mills, the State Department’s Counselor and Chief of Staff that we released last night. As the statement notes, the Secretary will have surgery in the coming days. Again, we thank you for your concern, and we’ll keep you updated.

Statement of Cheryl D. Mills, Counselor and Chief of Staff, State Department

On the way to the White House late this afternoon, Secretary Clinton fell and suffered a right elbow fracture. She was treated at The George Washington University Hospital before heading home. She will undergo surgery to repair her elbow in the upcoming week. Secretary Clinton appreciates the professionalism and kindness she received from the medical team who treated her this evening and looks forward to resuming her full schedule soon.

Comments

Comments

Lucy
New Jersey, USA

Lucy in New Jersey writes:

Dear Madam Secretary Clinton,

Best wishes for a very rapid recovery, pain free... please take good care of you!

Joseph
New Jersey, USA

Joseph in New Jersey writes:

Madame Secretary, God Bless and God speed a quick recovery.

Joy J.
Nevada, USA

Joy and Dwayne J. in Nevada write:

We are wishing you well. Hope your not having a lot of pain. We need you in Washington. We are devoted followers. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Tanya D.

Tanya D. in New York writes:

Dear Madame Secretary Clinton,

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your elbow surgery. I fractured my elbow once while training for a triathlon during my Army career. I was in a sling for 6 weeks. No fun. But it is temporary and I hope you will take your physical therapy seriously. As your supporter, I know your work is always superior, but take care of your body too.

Wishing you all the best,

Tanya

Karen
Connecticut, USA
June 19, 2009

Karen in Connecticut writes:

Dear Madame Secretary,

I have been a fan of yours since your epic run for The Presidential Nomination. I know you will not let something like an elbow fracture slow you down. I hope you have a swift recovery and tell the republicans to stop leaving banana peels in democractic walkways. They can slow you down but they can not stop you!

Best Wishes,

Karen E. Petersen

Roxane
Massachusetts, USA

Roxane in Massachusetts writes:

We wish you a successful surgery and speedy recovery Madame Secretary Hillary Clinton. Get well soon!

Emily
Ohio, USA

Emily in Ohio writes:

Madam Secretary Clinton,

I hope you get to feeling better soon. You are my favorite politician and I hope to become a politician like you someday. I also hope you have a speedy recovery and keep up the good work as our Secretary of State.

Kay
Tennessee, USA

Kay in Tennessee writes:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You should have been our President. Take care of yourself.

Regency
Texas, USA

Regency in Texas writes:

Take care, Mme Secretary. The world needs you healthy and whole. Put your feet up and rest now. And stop reading your Blackberry while you walk. That's clearly a dangerous thing to do.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Regency from TX.

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

Hillary, honey, PLEEEAZZZZEEE! Be CAREFUL with our Secretary of State parts! You are very precious to us! Please do not push yourself too hard right now. Healing has to be given its time. I am lighting candles and praying for you!

Let people take care of you right now. You deserve some pampering for all the hard work you do and for putting yourself out there in the world so smartly and attractively in the world. The bones have to mend. The world will still be out here when you are whole again.

(Tell Bill to cook you cheesy things - for calcium -and take vitamin D and calcium - you need 1200 mgs a day, I found out. I was only taking one pill - we need TWO!)

Feel better and get well, sweet Hillary!

Hsiao
Taiwan

Hsiao in Taiwan writes:

Dear Hillary:

I wish you get recover soon and have stronger body and will to complete your mission. I also hope you try to understand the importance of my holy mission of saving the world. I will send you my book "Our Holy Mission--Change the World" after completed.

God bless us!

Victor
Tennessee, USA

Victor in Tennessee writes:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Stephen

Stephen in Virginia writes:

Sorry to hear about your fall. Get well soon. Love, Stephen

Patricia S.

Patricia S. in New York writes:

Secretary Clinton - Rest as much as you can (rest) for your upcoming surgery. Post-surgery, take things slowly and ask for help, when and where you did it. This heartfelt advice comes from a person with a physical disability, and underwent numerous surgeries from age 2 to 39. I'm 62 years old, retired for almost 3 years, from working 35 years for a service agency for the disabled in NYC and know Mrs. Somoza and the girls. Be well and get well. As I've often said, in previous posts on Dipnote, of you: "If not the White House, then the World."

Karen
Arkansas, USA

Karen in Arkansas writes:

So sorry for your mishap. Perhaps this was divine intervention to force more "rest" upon you. You are doing a fabulous job as SOS, and we are so proud of you! Prayers and healthy wishes being sent your way.....I agree with a former post...reading blackberry and walking is a no no.

Pamela
Georgia

Pamela in Georgia writes:

I know what it's like to have a fractured elbow. I fell and had chip bone in my elbow in 1978 and had to have surgery. I thoughts and prayers go out to the Secretary. Get well, ccome back and save the world (smile).

Judy H.

Judy H. in New York writes:

Heard about your fell, hope you get well soon!!!

Michal
Massachusetts, USA

Michal in Massachusetts writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton:

I can only imagine how painful a broken elbow is. I wish you a speedy recovery. The world needs you!! Best, a member of the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantsuits."

Brian

Brian in California writes:

Madame Secretary of State, Hillary Rodham Clinton,

This is a quick note to personally convey my thoughts and my hope for you to have a swift recovery. We Americans and the people abroad, are counting on you and your wisdom. God Bless you!

Judith

Judith in New York writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton,

As a longtime supporter of yours, I have been following your activities at the State Dept. with great pride and enthusiasm. I was so very sorry to hear that you have suffered an injury. I hope you know how many of your supporters out here cheering for you and wishing you a speedy and complete recovery from your accident. Best wishes to you!

Judith
New York City

Jay
Connecticut, USA

Jay in Connecticut writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton,

sorry to hear about your injury, I hope you have a speedy recovery but please take time to rest and take care of yourself. You're a hero to so many people around the world, your strength and bravery and resillience is an inspiration and the work you do is so important in changing attitudes and lives and creating new possibilities we need you be amazing voice you always been for a long time to come so just don't work too hard:) Love and best wishes, J.

Linnette

Linnette in New York writes:

Speedy recovery. We need you in 2012.

One of the 18 millions

bobby

Bobby L. in New York writes:

mrs clinton i hope you recover quickly we need you. running around everywhere must be very hard but you must take care. good job so far thank you bobby

Maria
Canada

Maria in Canada writes:

Get better soon, Hillary. Take it easy, you deserve a break from all the hard work you do. Love ya!

Elizabeth
United Kingdom

Elizabeth in the United Kingdom writes:

Hope you feel better very soon. We all love you!

Dee

Dee in New York writes:

speedy recovery Madam Sec.

Gretchen
Arizona, USA

Gretchen in Arizona writes:

I hope you have a speedy recovery!

mary
June 19, 2009

Mary from California writes:

I broke my wrist this week walking my dog. Hope your pain goes away faster than mine...remember to ICE`!!!

Rene
June 19, 2009

Rene writes:

Hope you take time to rest. You deserve it. Don't work too hard.

Linda
New Zealand
June 19, 2009

Linda from New Zealand writes:

With best wishes for a speedy recovery, but please don't come back to work too soon. Enjoy your time with your family.