21st Century Statecraft

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
May 29, 2009
Secretary Clinton on YouTube

In a YouTube video message, Secretary Clinton speaks about 21st century statecraft.

On the U.S. Department of State's YouTube Channel, Secretary Clinton speaks about 21st century statecraft and encourages the American people to be citizen ambassadors who use the communication tools at our disposal to advance the interests of our nation and humanity everywhere. Twenty-first century statecraft brings together technology and the talents of citizens in ways that previous generations could not have imagined. Watch the Secretary's video message to learn more about how the State Department is engaging the public and harnessing the energy of a rising generation of citizen diplomats.

Comments

Comments

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA
May 29, 2009

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

Hillary, I can't resist you when you talk about social networking. Several of my accounts began because you told me about something.

Now you have me giving other people ideas for things they do. One of my Japanese students just graduated, is going home, and stopped in to say goodbye. He wondered how to keep his English current and practiced (since that is what he is going to teach). I suggested he consider starting a blog radio program for EFL teachers since he would be able to draw native speakers in also, and they could both call in and speak as well as practice writing in the chat room. It wasn't really MY idea -- it came from you on this video.

So I am doing my part by taking the first step. Since I received this video from a feed yesterday, I have been making it go viral. After all people won't know what a great idea this is unless it circulates. SO! I am viralizing for Hillary.

Go Hillary!

Donald
May 29, 2009

Donald in Virginia writes:

This is all wonderful and interesting stuff, enjoy it all. The only thing I would point out, that could save the United States a multitude of headaches in the future, if they take this advise. There is a big difference between having an Internet and Intranet. When it comes to Government Communications, Federal Buildings, Power Grids, Water and treatment facilities, Financial Markets you use what is called, "Stand-Alone" systems. This way when the Hackers try to hack into the security systems all they reach is a "Stand-Alone" computer all by itself. Computer whiz's can create dummy servers on these stand-alone systems to make it look like a network exists, including all kinds of email servers, routers and basically a showcase of what the host wants to show, and all the while the intruder goes nowhere and for the host computer then can track where the ISP came from to capture the hacker. This makes more Security Sense for even the Pentagon and all other vital systems we use today, this method would prevent those Fire Sales from happening in future. Just good Computer Network Security and Safety of the Public and National Security. One thing I do remember reading about years ago concerning the country of Libya how they were getting involved with using computer virus and adopting a program that could attack computers and networks, I reported this but doubt it did any good. Considering where still having problems with computer virus makes you wonder how many countries in the world are sending a computer virus just to destroy computers or networks.

Patrick
Maryland, USA
May 29, 2009

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Hi Ya, People of the Department of my Favorite Diplomat. :)

I like the "YouTube" Channel videos, they are very good. I hope Hillary has a good Visit to El Salvador & Honduras this week comming up.

Have A Great Weekend ....Cya...:)

RAYMOND
May 29, 2009

Raymond writes:

Mrs.Clinton!

Thank you for saying YES to a difficult job, after seeing yourself in such a close race with the winner. You have character and charisma besides intelligentia, you can go anywhere in this planet and tell anyone how wonderful Democracy is, and how much we respect the Humasn Rights.

You also have the capacity and audacy to tell people what it is, without fear and without looking down, you stand for what this country really is: Freedom and the pursue of Happiness. Thanks

Masood
May 29, 2009

Masood in California writes:

Citizen diplomacy will be the way of twenty-first century! Citizen ambassadors will make it happen, Secretary Clinton.

Gretchen
Arizona, USA
May 30, 2009

Gretchen in Arizona writes:

This is such a great idea! It's time we all put our individual talents and skills to good use, and get involved in dealing with our global problems. I don't think it should be limited to the young, but to everyone who wants to be a part of the solution.

palgye
South Korea
May 31, 2009

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Dear to Sec Hillary Clinton.

thank you, visit to "Former Korean President Roh"`s mortuary

thank you very much.

Wendy
May 31, 2009

Wendy in California writes:

Being given the statecraft tools for citizen diplomacy and being "special envoys" for our ideals is very thrilling. I am better informed thru Dipnote than I have ever been in all my life.

I would like to share a tool of citizen-action which has enlivened citizens in various countries.

I thought of postcards (which don't have to be opened to be read) because I just read about the wonderful surgeon-without-borders Dr. Gino Strada stirring up !a million postcards! from citizens in 1997 (each with a picture of a mutilated child) to exhort the Italian President to signatory a landmine ban. That year the Italian parliament passed "a law banning the production, use, import, and export of land mines."

Currently I am focusing in-country on sending postcards to Senate & House committee chairs exhorting them to bring at least a representative of single-payer for health care to the table.

The equivalent of EVERY man, woman, and child in the whole states of Georgia, Indiana, North Carolina, New Jersey, Virginia, have NO health care in our United States of America. (Mnemonic: GINNV.)

Or you could say that the equivalent of every man, woman, and child in the whole states of New York State, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Iowa have NO health care. (Mnemonic: NIPI.) Shocking put this way, isn't it?

So, I'm citizen-actioning with postcards -- and telling all my friends to get postcarding. Try it to alert your government to your most pressing human rights cause.

Ron
June 1, 2009

Ron in New York writes:

Dear Hillary:

Bring back the USIA and let it go interactive-viral!

Best,