Secretary Clinton: Text Your Disaster Relief Donation for Pakistan

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
May 19, 2009

Full Briefing | More on Announcement | Text Your DonationAt a White House press briefing this morning, Secretary Clinton addressed the humanitarian crisis in Pakistan, announcing a pledge of more than $100 million in humanitarian support.

Secretary Clinton said, "Pakistan is facing a major humanitarian crisis. Approximately 2 million people have fled their homes, and Pakistan's government, their military, and relief organizations are working to meet the needs of these displaced persons. So many are finding refuge with family members, or in schools or mosques; they are relying on the generosity of relatives and friends. And I'm confident that Pakistan's institutions and citizens will succeed in confronting this humanitarian challenge if the international community steps up and provides the support that is needed. ... Providing this assistance is not only the right thing to do, but we believe it is essential to global security and the security of the United States, and we are prepared to do more as the situation demands."

The Secretary also invited the American people to join in the world-wide effort to bring stability to Pakistan: "Now, Americans can use technology to help, as well. Using your cell phones, Americans can text the word 'swat' -- to the number 20222 and make a $5 contribution that will help the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees provide tents, clothing, food, and medicine to hundreds of thousands of affected people. And before I came over here, we did that in the State Department. So we are making some of the first donations to this fund."

Comments

Comments

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA
July 24, 2009

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

Madame Secretary. I will definitely be texting my contribution as soon as I pick myself up off the floor from laughing. I can never resist you anyway, but that was such a cute move, whipping out a cell phone in front of the White House press corps! It was well worth at least $50 (MORE) from every member of the White House press. ROTFL!

Anna
May 22, 2009

Anna in Washington, DC writes:

I think that text messaging to collect donations is brilliant and a great way to include the American people directly in helping others. But I'm interested in knowing what type of oversight is in place for the donations and what percentage of the $5 donation will be going directly to the people in need. I've already texted but just curious. Thank you!

DipNote Bloggers write:

@ Anna in Washington, DC -- Thanks for your questions. The $5 goes to UNHCR. There are transaction fees associated with the mobile donation, but fees are comparable to those charged by a credit card company to process a transaction. This is similar to when one makes a donation to an organization online.

Doreen
May 20, 2009

Doreen in Florida writes:

What an awesome idea!! I texted twice. I like that it was made so easy for me to help, as my "good intentions" are typically just fleeting thoughts.

Keesha
Alabama, USA
May 20, 2009

Keesha in Alabama writes:

When try to text, I received an error message that said "Access denied. Sorry,this service is not enabled for your service plan"

I am a t-mobile customer. Has anyone else had this issue?

DipNote Bloggers write:

@ Keesha in Alabama -- Thank you for your interest in contributing. Please try again. And if it does not work, please contact MGive to address any technical issues.

Masood
May 21, 2009

Masood in California writes:

Secretary Clinton. practical, excellent and speedy idea!

Jonathan
Washington, USA
May 21, 2009

Jonathan in Washington writes:

Are there other agencies or aid groups that work in Pakistan that we can donate too or be involved with to help?

Anna
May 21, 2009

Anna in Washington, DC writes:

@ DipNote Bloggers -- Thanks for your response! I'm telling others to text a donation. I agree with Masood in CA, this is practical and speedy.

catherine p.
May 21, 2009

Catherine P. in U.S.A. writes:

No access to text my donation and would like to contribute at this moment -- please tell me how I can connect to this TEXT event.

ron
Ohio, USA
May 21, 2009

Ron in Ohio writes:

why is it that our country is falling apart from the inside. The goverment will find money too give another country and our schools are falling apart children are growing up uneducated and it seems that the goverment dont care whats happening it a shame. we are hard working people and we are being screwed over.

Patrick
Maryland, USA
May 21, 2009

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Hi, Hillary,Department of States People & Netizeners. :)

I think the People of Pakistan are doing a pretty good Job ,of fighting for a Pakistan free of terrorism. I hope the support they are getting from the United States and other countries will help them succeed in freeing them selves of these people. So they can get back to working for a better life for their family and friends. :)

....Cya ..Netizen...:)

Don
May 21, 2009

Don in California writes:

Thank you for this Madame Secretary. I don't text but thanks to this forum, I just donated to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) through their web site.

I hope we can make a difference.

~D

nasser
Texas, USA
May 22, 2009

Nasser in Texas writes:

Allah (God) bless U.S.A.

Fawad K.
Arizona, USA
May 22, 2009

Fawad in Arizona writes:

I'm glad this administration really cares about the refugees in Pakistan. They need all the help we can give em. I'm amazed I can text and donate money, Awesome!!

Thanks.
Fawad.

deec4
May 22, 2009

Dee in New York writes:

Just donated! Great idea!

Niaz
Illinois, USA
June 23, 2009

Niaz in Illinois writes:

Many local and international organization working on relief efforts for displaced people in Pakistan. I like this idea initiated by Madam Secretary. It is swift and practical.

Mohsin
Pennsylvania, USA
May 26, 2009

Mohsin in Pennsylvania writes:

Everybody! Share this message with everyone using the Internet, social networking sites like Facebook and Myspace now!! This is a great way to help!

Linda
New Zealand
June 3, 2009

Linda in New Zealand writes:

When this post came out in May, I immediately searched for agencies in New Zealand, and donated through Oxfam. Although all the agencies are now advertising, this post was the first I saw discussing the need for humanitarian aid. I think it a very important role for your State Department and for the equivalent departments in other countries -- to draw to people's attention the need for humanitarian aid as soon as it becomes clear that such assistance will be needed. Thank you.

Shannon
June 3, 2009

Shannon in U.S.A. writes:

Good evening, my family and I are getting ready to move to Pakistan. In addition, I also am in charge of a Non Governmental Organization. It is wonderful that you are helping the Pakistani people. I look forward to working together with the State Department and the Pakistani Government in helping Pakistan.

Respectfully submitted.

IMTIAZ
Pakistan
June 13, 2009

Imtiaz in Pakistan writes:

RELIEF FOR OUR IDPS IN PAKISTAN IN SPICAL IN MARDAN CAMPS IN COMMUNITIES

SHAHARYAR K.
Pakistan
June 14, 2009

Shaharyar in Pakistan writes:

Who Will Re-build Our Paradise?

As they say, "Home sweet home is paradise like". All the creatures have emotional and spiritual affinity to the land of their ancestors where they are living in their homes. A bird is happy to live in a caved nest on the top of a rough and barren mountain. Man who is considered to be "The best of all creatures" thinks of his home as the place of mental satisfaction. Every Man takes his home as Kashmir, the paradise on earth. If there is a rumour about some unpleasant situation happening in the native cities and towns, people living outside their homes are gravely concerned about their homes and families.

I lost my paradise in the ongoing operation against militants by the Pakistan Army. I lost the only shelter I had, the place which was built for us by our ancestors with their love and care. I am all broken to see the debris of my "Home sweet Home".

I am the denizen of Village Zindi Falak Sher Tehsil and District Lakki Marwat. Our native village is affiliated with UC Shakh Quli Khan Tehsil & District Lakki Marwat having the constituencies of PF-74 and NA-27. It is located to the South of District Head Quarter Lakki City at about 40 KM. Bannu city is located at about 25 KM to the north which is the main access route to our village via Village Haved Bannu. Jani Khel Wazir FR Bannu is situated at a distance of 8 to 10 KM to the West of our Village. To the South and South East of our village, some of the main towns of District Lakki Marwat are located which include Bragi, Khan Khel Mandozai, Adam Zai, Tajori and Takhti Khel. Hence we are the bona fide residents of District Lakki Marwat, having the same culture and language, i.e. the Marwat's language and culture.

Before the start of military operation against militants in Jani Khel area, our elders were called upon by the leaders of our district to formulate a strategy on how to facilitate the Pakistan Army in operation against the militants in Jani Khel Area which is the part of FR Bannu, neither associated nor affiliated with our village and our district Lakki Marwat. In the presence of an Ex-MNA of District Lakki Marwat, our elders had a joint meeting with Commissioner Bannu and APA FR Bannu who are administratively monitoring the Pakistan Army Operation against militants. The operation was supposed to be started from Bannu going through the edges of Lakki Marwat into Jani Khel area instead of opting for the direct route from Bannu via Nurar to Jani Khel on account of counter militancy strategy by the Pakistan Army. The villages affiliated with District Lakki Marwat which neither supported nor remained under the control of militants were pinpointed and declared safe zone in the meeting. Thus our village was considered as the safe place on ground realities and excluded from the military operation against the militants in Jani Khel area.

Before, the operations was lunched by the Pak Army against militants in Jani Khel area, our elders had a Grand Jirga (the summit of elders) and it was decided to vacate all the villages in Lakki Marwat located on the route to be used by the Pakistan Army during operation against militants in Jani Khel Area. We vacated our homes to facilitate the Pakistan Army so that there is no confusion in their precision strikes against the militants and to enable them to make distinction between the good and evil.

While going through the villages of District Lakki Marwat to take action against the militants in Jani Khel area, Pakistan Army indiscriminately pounded the villages located in Lakki Marwat with Tanks and Gunship Helicopters. Tanks shelled our village and turned our homes into debris. I have suffered the loss of my life. I have lost the only shelter that I had. All the cattle have died. What ever I had in my home have been looted since we had already vacated the home while fleeing to save our lives. We, the innocent people have been ruined and deserted without having any guilt or sin. My family has suffered the loss of property and wealth amounting to Millions of rupees.

"I lost my paradise". I lost the only shelter I had, I lost my property, I lost my cattle, I lost my pride, I have been made to suffer in the country which I always wanted to die for. I am all broken.

Who will make this loss good? The government cheque of Rs.25000/- only which for I beg for months and years?

WHO WILL RE-BUILD OUR HOMES?

Umer k.
Pakistan
June 14, 2009

Umer K. in Pakistan writes:

Most Respected Madam Clinton.

I Hope you are fine.

Madam me and my family is shifted from the beautiful valley of Pakistan due to crises and now we have left our home and living in a camp.

Madam i am the student of BBA (Bachelor of business administration),my education is also disturbed because our University is now closed.

Please do something or give me free student visa so i can continue my own education.

Thanks I shall be very thankful to you
Umer
IDP's Pakistan SWAT

Masood
June 16, 2009

Masood in California writes:

Nice work Shannon, between State Department and Government of Pakistan you will do fine. However, update your NGO activities so people could support you while you are in Pakistan.

muhsin
July 1, 2009

Muhsin writes:

hi

SHAFIQ
Pakistan
August 6, 2009

Shafiq in Pakistan writes:

Dear madam, i'm the student of B-Tech CIVIL)5th semester PRESTON UNIVERSITY ISLAM ABAD so in case of displacement our family $ me WE R Very effected and the above univsty is tha campus of ur .USA UNIVRSTY. our finincial support is becom very low so plz help me to continue my study i shal be very thankfull to u. UR SENCERLY SHAFIQ AHMAD IDP, SWAT

Scott
October 1, 2009

Scott in California writes:

Mrs. Clinton,

What are you thinking about asking us to send billions of dollars to Pakistan? I am an unemployed teacher that cost me 60k in student loans that have come due and you are sending our tax dollars to people who hate us. Where am I living? Who are our congresswomen? The Americans are hurting and you are giving our money away?