Secretary Clinton Launches Virtual Student Foreign Service Initiative

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
May 13, 2009

Secretary Clinton launched a new initiative today to allow for a rising generation of citizen diplomats to conduct digital diplomacy.

The Virtual Student Foreign Service (VSFS), announced by Secretary Clinton at the 2009 New York University commencement speech, are part of a growing effort by the State Department to harness technology and a commitment to global service among young people to facilitate new forms of diplomatic engagement. The VSFS Internships will be developed over the next year and will seek to harness the energy of a rising generation of citizen diplomats.

Working from college and university campuses in the United States, American students will partner with our embassies abroad to conduct digital diplomacy that reflects the realities of our networked world. By combining the talents of young people across America and the right technology, we can forge the solutions that our century demands.

Sign up to receive more information and updates on Virtual Student Foreign Service Internships.

Join the Virtual Student Foreign Service Facebook community.

Comments

Comments

Brian
May 13, 2009

Brian in California writes:

From the segment that I saw; it was clearly inspirational. Again, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has made all of us Americans supremely proud.

Michael
May 13, 2009

Michael in California writes:

I look forward to this program. It is time America leads again! Classrooms are filling beyond capacity. Distance education is growing everyday as Americans work and seek higher education. Online education is an important part of our future.

I see no reason why online diplomacy should not be there with education! The importance of connecting with citizens around the world cannot be overstated as we learn about ourselves and the world.

Zamal
May 14, 2009

Zamal in New York writes:

As America begin to lead the world once again, my world/life time experiences and challenges could be useful for the next generation of young Americans who are starting this complex journey.

As an immigrant (New American) who loves this country, the developing countries anxiously awaits America Diplomacy.

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA
May 14, 2009

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

I agree with Brian in California. Hillary Rodham Clinton, you are an inspiration across generations in this country and across the globe. You are the most amazing speaker. You go with just a few notes, in such intricate detail, for extended periods and the wealth of ideas and information is astounding. I never fail to learn something new when I listen to you.

This particular initiative is brilliant (as most of your ideas are). I am going to follow the development of this effort. I am sure there is a place for graduate students who work here as ESL teachers with immigrant and transient populations.

mary v.
May 14, 2009

Mary V. in Florida writes:

i am looking forward to following this program thank you as always for your great work and also your ability to handle things in one news cycle -- i knew you would take care always mary v.

Wendy
May 15, 2009

Wendy in California writes:

Hurray! I'm assuming that some piece of the idea is like an e-pen-pal group where folks learn about the trials and triumphs of folk who are perhaps somewhat farflung in geography but share planet-neighbor goals and emerging best practices. Mutual encouragement and curiosity. A planet-buddy system.

Priyanka V.
Michigan, USA
May 15, 2009

Priyanka in Michigan writes:

I will be starting college in September 2010 and would like to be a part of the digital diplomacy program.

Thank you.

garry
May 15, 2009

Garry in California writes:

I think this is a step in the right direction for the country, and for the people of the world to come together out side of goverments for the world good. Just as Falun Dafa has done.

Jennifer
Michigan, USA
May 16, 2009

Jennifer in Michigan writes:

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for American students!

I would, however, like to make one suggestion. As a Detroit area resident, I know far too many unemployed and underemployed adults of all ages who aren't making full use of their talents and skills. Is there any way the State Department could offer a program where these older adults could also become citizen diplomats?

Just a thought...

Mose
May 17, 2009

Mose in Florida writes:

Thanks Secretary H.R.Clinton, for you untiring service to America....."It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood,who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms,the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neighter victory nor defeat."-Theodore Roosevelt.....Now is the time! Some sixtyone (61), years later I am ready to take up the touch carried by the late Ralph J. Bunche, in the Middle East Dispute.

Attila V.
June 1, 2009

Attila V. in Florida writes:

Dear Mrs. Clinton

I would love to be part of this program. I am scheduled to take the FSOT on June 8th 2009.

Sincerely,
Attila

Demus
Alabama, USA
June 1, 2009

Demus in Alabama writes:

The current crisis in Darfur is destabilizing not only Sudan but Chad also.

Lisa L.
Germany
June 2, 2009

Lisa L. in Germany writes:

I would like to get more information on this virtual program

Lisa L.
Germany
June 15, 2009

Lisa in Germany writes:

Hello

I am an Air Force wife currently attending graduate school at American Military University for my masters in Intelligence Studies and Webster University for my masters in Security Management. Currently I am living in Germany where employment opportunity for military spouses is almost non-existent due to the S.O.F.A. Agreement between the U.S. and Germany; the U.S. has to keep a certain amount of local nationals employed on our military bases in order for our bases to remain here. This not only makes employment opportunities hard for spouses, it also creates problems within larger families and expenses. I took the opportunity while living in Germany to volunteer at the Ramstein Area Defense Counsel and obtain additional skills which will become helpful in the future. My particular interest is working with in Foreign Policy, Interagency Operations or Government Funding, as I have seen tax payer's money being wasted while living abroad.

V/R

Lisa

Moise
Georgia
September 1, 2009

Moise in Georgia writes:

Dear Ms. Hillary Rodham Clinton:

This idea is so bright and true, it already prompts all my senses to get up, as it is America' call to its future soul-this generation.

If there is an effective and quicker way to provide and/or serve America and promote its interests around the globe, in this new digital age, the VSFS paradigm that you envision and/or establish, is the way.

Also, I am so indepted to America, for all the opportunities that it has given me and continuing, I am ready to pay it back by serving it, not only with pride, but above all, with all my strengths, senses and abilities.

Sincerely,

Moise

Nicole P.
September 1, 2009

Nicole P. in Washington, DC writes:

Secretary Clinton and Everyone,

I'm Nicole, currently I'm a student at AMU obtaining my BS in International Relations w/comparative&regional; politics concentration. One of my Professors gave students the link to this site. I'm very excited and look forward to interesting political with exchanges.

Ronald K.
September 2, 2009

Ronald K. in Florida writes:

Secretary Clinton and Staff,

I would love more information on the program to include eligibility requirements as I am active duty and do not want to have a conflict with my sworn duty. Any help would be awesome.

Demetrus
Maryland, USA
September 2, 2009

Demetrus in Maryland writes:

Wow! #13

Daniel E.
North Carolina, USA
September 5, 2009

Daniel E. in North Carolina writes:

Secretary Clinton and Staff,

I am a current graduate student at AMU pursuing a Masters in International Relations and Conflict Resolution and a Certificate in Intelligence Studies. I am a former Army Infantry Officer and currently own a market research and statistical consulting firm with my wife. I would be interested in learning more about this initiative and how I can contribute.

Best Regards,

Daniel

ELsayead h.
Egypt
October 5, 2009

El-Sayead in Egypt writes:

I am Profesor in Agrecultuel in Al Azhr Unevarstey as ahead Extension and rural sicuolagy Departement. I would like to get more information on this virtual program

Best Regards,