U.S. Department of State Becomes "Global Classroom" for Model UN Students

Posted by Mark Schlachter
May 12, 2009

About the Author: Mark Schlachter serves as Public Diplomacy Chief for the Bureau of International Organization Affairs.

The State Department’s Dean Acheson auditorium rarely hosts a more excited and dynamic audience than assembled there on May 11 for the 2009 Global Classrooms Model United Nations conference. The 650 middle and high school students from around the DC area buzzed with interest and curiosity as they prepared for a day of debate, negotiation, and consensus-building. Before they began, however, they received a very personal endorsement from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. The Secretary recalled the participation of her daughter in just such an event and polled the students on international issues of greatest concern to them. Energized by the Secretary’s remarks, the students spent the rest of the day working on such thorny matters as climate change, nuclear terrorism, and migration. By the end of the day, the students were exhausted, the auditorium was empty, and the 2009 Model UN program was a smashing success.

This Model UN program is sponsored and coordinated by the United Nations Association of the National Capital Area as part of the Global Classrooms project. The U.S. Department of State hosted the daylong event.

Comments

Comments

Lorrie H.
Georgia, USA
May 12, 2009

Lorrie H. in Georgia writes:

Thanks for making my day a better one because of your message :0)

ZorroIsGod
Canada
May 12, 2009

Z.G. in Canada writes:

For me law is done in levels like a tree...with ever nation connecting?

It's called the grate Law of peace on Turtle Island that govern peacefully 500 nations for 1000 years before European settlements...

Arguments are solved at the lowest level... Not at the top... The more branches the better... It's to keep corruption out from the top...

Municipalities level 1
State level 2
Federal level 3
Turtle Island 500 nations level 4
The Americas level 5
UN level 6

Shu-Hua H.
Taiwan
May 12, 2009

Hsiao in Taiwan writes:

The successful learning programs should be interesting and moving. You should not expect all teenagers to care about all global issues like integrity politicians. However, you must tell them how global impact of their career and life will be in comprehendable way. The most important thing is not to panic them without solutions. At least, you should find the survive ways in all global problems yourselves first. I am working on free global classes for all people in the world. I do need help!

Emily
May 13, 2009

Emily in Washington, DC writes:

I am so impressed by the increased emphasis of the Department of State on the use of technology in its programs! I hope that we can leverage similar resources in international programs to enhance partnership-building and build relationships around the world.

Jakerul
Australia
May 13, 2009

Jakerul in Australia writes:

This is definitely very nice arrangement. I would like to draw your kind attention to make it available for other parts of the world where future concerns are in big position.

Bernard V.
Netherlands
May 13, 2009

Bernard in the Netherlands writes:

Will the final product of the students be public as a webdocument or something? If so, do you have a URL? Thanks & regards. Bernard

May 13, 2009

@ Mark, I hope the kids were informed of their opportunity to continue the debate here on Dipnote.

Keep up the good work getting youth involved in foreign affairs, it's a good investment in future leadership.

EJ

Baiza
Georgia
May 15, 2009

Baiza in Georgia writes:

Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, I'm so proud of the work you're doing. It appears as if destiny placed you in a position to shape a global peace and diplomatic movement. I want to help, learn more and offer my support. I'm not a teenager or young college student. I'm nearing 70 years young. However, I was for several years a mediator for the Arizona Secretary of State and for the last 10-years I've been a mediator for the Supreme Court of Georgia. I'm also a doctoral student of Natural Health and have for over 40-years worked in promoting health and wellness and preventing disease. I'm an average person with visions of our youth using their phenomenal energy, creative enthusiasm, and vital resourceful curious intellect to help make our families stronger, communities safer and our world a far better place in which to live. I would love to volunteer in some capacity because, in my mind and heart, peace and diplomacy are much higher frequency calls than violence and conflict within the human family. Please let me know if an aging elder can contribute to the emergence of a new breed of national and global peacemaking youth.

Sarah L.
August 8, 2009

Sarah L. in New York writes:

Global Classrooms, a program of the United Nations Association of the USA, is an innovative educational program that engages middle school and high school students in an exploration of current world issues through interactive simulations and curricular materials. Global Classrooms cultivates literacy, life skills and the attitudes necessary for active citizenship.

If you are interested in Global Classrooms and Model UN, please visit UNA-USA's website at:

and http://www.unausa.org/modelun

Rohan
Sri Lanka
February 16, 2010

Rohan in Sri Lanka writes:

Sri lanka Model UN org wants to participate.How can we register.
Ellawala R.L.