Secretary Clinton's First 100 Days

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
May 2, 2009
State Department Employees Welcome Secretary Clinton
Secretary Clinton Greets State Department Employees
Secretary Clinton at the State Department
President Obama, Accompanied by Secretary Clinton, Greets State Department Employees in the Benjamin Franklin Room
Secretary Clinton Speaks at USAID
Secretary Clinton Appoints Todd Stern to be the Special Envoy for Climate Change
Secretary Clinton at Her Swearing-In Ceremony
Secretary Clinton Walks Out with French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner, Before Their Joint News Conference at the State Department
Secretary Clinton Shakes Hands with U.S. and Japanese Officials on the Tarmac at Tokyo's Haneda Airport
Secretary Clinton Holds Press Conference With Japanese Foreign Minister Nakasone
Maya Luna and Isyana Bagoes Oka Share a Laugh with Secretary Clinton on the Set of “Dahsyat” in Jakarta
Secretary Clinton Poses With Students and Officials at Ewha Womans University
Secretary Clinton Visits a Power Plant in Beijing
Secretary Clinton Speaks from a Podium at the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing
Secretary Clinton Makes a Statement About the 2008 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices
Secretary Clinton at the Gaza Conference
Secretary Clinton Relights the Eternal Flame and Lays a Wreath in the Hall of Remembrance
Secretary Clinton Talks with Palestinian Students at the English Access Micro-scholarship Program
Secretary Clinton with NATO Foreign Ministers in Brussels
Press Conference After a Dinner Meeting Between Secretary Clinton and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Geneva
Secretary Clinton in Turkey
Secretary Clinton With First Lady Obama at the International Women of Courage Award Ceremony
Secretary Clinton With Mexico's Secretary of Public Safety
Secretary Clinton at the Afghanistan Conference
Secretary Clinton With President Obama, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, and China's President Hu Jintao
Secretary Clinton Welcomes Defense and Foreign Affairs Leaders to the U.S. State Department During the Australian Ministerial Held There
Secretary Clinton and Haitian Prime Minister Michele Duvivier Pierre-Louis Speak to Reporters at the State Department
Secretary Clinton is Given a Tour of the Inter-American Woven Factory in Port-au-Prince
Secretary Clinton Testifies on Capitol Hill Before the House Foreign Affairs Committee
Secretary Clinton is Greeted Upon Her Arrival in Baghdad
Secretary Clinton Holds a Town Hall Meeting with Iraqis and Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) Staff
Secretary Clinton Boards Plane in Beirut, Lebanon

Today marks Secretary Clinton’s 100th day serving as Secretary of State.

The DipNote team selected some of our favorite photos to highlight the last one hundred days. We hope you enjoy them.

Comments

Comments

May 6, 2009

...gotta love your job.

jon
May 7, 2009

Jon in U.S.A. writes:

Secretary Clinton. You have done a terrible job. Soon the cold war will being again. Getting to a point where Korea no longer allowed our nuclear inspectors in theri territy is not the answer.

Jon
May 7, 2009

Jon in U.S.A. writes:

Secretary Clinton has done a terrible job in her first 100 days.

Zharkov
May 7, 2009

Zharkov in U.S.A. writes:

North Korea has begun preparations for a second nuclear test at a site in the north of the country, South Korean government sources have said.

How disrespectful of Mr. Kim not to wait another 100 days to announce his atomic test. Doesn't he know that diplomacy takes time?

John
Greece
May 7, 2009

John in Greece writes:

@ Zharkov in U.S.A. -- What's your DipNote proposal? A new war? This is not diplomatic! Diplomacy, especially Good Diplomacy needs some time. PERIOD!

I mean, use some commas in your ideas. I would suggest you some; too!

If you think that guns can solve every political issue, sorry my friend, but this is certainly not a diplomatic perspective. Especially from a guy who wants to travel without a passport.

AFTER ALL, GIVE US AN IDEA, WHAT THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION CAN DO IN CASE KIM CONTINUES TO PLAY THE "CRAZY GUY"?

War?

There? In this geo?

With China and Russia in the "neighbourhood", watching like snakes?

I am sure that the President, Madame Secretary, the White House and the Administration will remain sober and do their best!

May 11, 2009

@ John in Greece, There are times when the threat of war must be met with the promise of war to invoke peace.

Case in point, behavior change of crazies that threaten peace such as Kim ill Jong may involve convincing him we are (all the other five parties involved in the 6 party talks) unanimous in declaring war upon North Korea, for violating the terms of the 50+ year old ceasefire that has been in place; The moment he attempts to conduct another nuclear test or missile launch, and that he has a brief window of opportunity to resume presence at the negotiating table, or the five will remove him from power regardless of any further threats or actions, as sufficiant causus belli exists already.

China most of all does not need a nuclear armed madman on its doorstep, and several million starving people next door.

China's stability and security could only be enhanced if a rational government existed in North Korea. Russia's too. So the combined weight of the will of nations is in the interest of all nations, if the correct methodology is applied.

Maybe then there would be a reasonable possibility of reunification among the Korea's people.

Jackie R.
May 11, 2009

Jackie R. in California writes:

You get an A+ from me but then again I'm bias. I've followed you and your work for 17 years and you like that ever ready bunny you just keep going and going. I've slowed down some. You are an example to woman and you have placed the mark that woman can do the job. In a way you look at President Obama like a Mother but I guess that's just what I see. You have a quality that makes things happen and people listen, it comes from your heart and in your eyes. I always check on this blog site to see up dates of your travels and support you 100 plus per cent. As I read the World events I see some who are afraid of the change that has taken place. But I also see millions around the World who accept the change and that will help with the World Leaders. Even the Iran President with the approvel of the Iran Supreme Leader has used " Yes we can", now that's progress.

John
Greece
May 11, 2009

John in Greece writes:

@ Eric in New Mexico -- You are right: strategically, logically and the way someone -- who feels both wronged and threatened by Kim's psycho -- thinks. Your point is very clear, clever and fair!!!

But, help me out with some "thought-fears"? (I don't disagree with you, I just want to understand the situation)

1. Can U.S.A. stand both physically (soldiers) and economically a 3rd military presence? (Iran-Afghanistan?)
2. What if there is a need for "Iran action" in the future, while you are already engaged in a S. Korea "conflict"?
3. You know that always starts with (6) parties, but usually ends up with only U.S.A. and England to be the "bad guys" to blame -- and of course the only ones to fight -- besides some poor alliance help.
4. I absolutely accept and respect your geo-political analysis, about China and Russia, but you cannot count on their final stance, when the "fire" starts. You know how these "guys" act!

On the other side of the moon, I absolutely understand your point. If you don't stop Kim now -- he may kill us all. He can create the WW3, even by mistake. Right!

Only Robert Gates can answer all these at the same time?

Meanwhile, diplomacy?

May 12, 2009

Folks are flat tired of drunken little dictators strutting their stuff like they think they're "all of that".

You know me, I'm not all that diplomatic about it.

Sometimes the world must decide as a family who is fit to lead and remove tyrants when needed, for the betterment of the people under his boot most of all. Too often we've seen the tragic results of inaction.

We do this right and stand together, there won't be hostilities, and therin I prefaced the entire senario.

I never implied it would be either politically or practicly easy to do, to bring the 6 party talks back on track to a succesful conclusion with a nuclear free zone created. Much diplomacy involved, and diplomacy is not a bluff, one must prepare contingencies.

On the issue of whether "spheres of influence" and such political mistrust of intent would negate any postive outcome between great powers, I would simply remind you that we were all allies against Facism, and have a history of working together on common problems.

If there's a better way to earn trust over time, I think it hasn't been invented yet.

I suppose we can work on that one too while dealing with immediate concerns. New century, new thinking etc, etc....

Attitude is everything.

May 12, 2009

To address a couple specifics John, "wronged" is not how I "feel". Disgusted is what I am, because some things you can't walk away from and remain human.

And Kim's in the process of starving his own population down to some 400,000 as a "Utopian goal" of the ideal sustainable population size.

He is genocidal by any standard.

If he has nuclear missiles, he won't need to field such large numbers of troops that require resources to sustain them, as it has become a nation of slaves to a military junta on par with Pol Pot. Only the mass graves would dwarf all previously known.

And they say you can't get inside the heads of the North Korean leadership...

OK fine, time will tell. Stick my neck out on the record I will...

If the decision to remove the current NK leadership was made as a final option, I'm sure the five can find creative means to do so without WW3 being the result.

Without a shot being fired in fact.

Old school methods still work.

John
Greece
May 12, 2009

John in Greece writes:

@ Eric in New Mexico -- I understand what you are saying: "Nuclear Chess" should better remain just a game concept for educating people what not to do, and certainly not a new dictator's "experiment".

We must not allow Kim to proceed with his ego "experiment" that will/may bring chaos, if we let him to go ahead with. Hitler lost his "psycho" game, because he had no nuclear power back then. If he had, he would have used it... and now the two of us wouldn't have this wonderful exchange of ideas, 'cause we would be both dead. Billions others too.

Now, today, things are far more dangerous. That's why "it's not just a U.S./N.K thing", as you wisely say, but a global theme that all countries must participate in and act.

I trust the President, SD and Mr. Robert Gates. I am sure that they will do their best! However, all countries must also help!

And I loved your phrase: Old school methods still work!

Thank you very much for your reply.

Anna
May 13, 2009

Anna in Washington, DC writes:

Great photos. We are really fortunate to have Secretary Clinton as America's top diplomat. President Obama could have not made a better choice, and I applaud them both for how hard they've worked. A most impressive job.

June 24, 2009

"Point being John, this isn't a U.S./N.K. thing, it's more like the sane verses the insane. Nationality doesn't have a whole lot to do with it, on that level."

You know John, I'm just not sure whether Ian Kelly, State's new Dept Spokesman, would charictarize it like this. But I'm pretty sure it makes sense to a lot of folks, unofficially.

Thing about "nuclear chess", the first move is inevitably fatal.

Think of this as "house training the puppy" instead and he won't play that game, so long as his survival instinct (which dictators and tyrants have in spades) is notably activated.

Look at bin Laden, he runs, he hides, he hasn't the guts to put on a suicide vest and martyr himself does he?

Neither does 'lil Kim.

Amb. Bosworth has said recently that it would be NK's decision to test a nuke again or not, implying that the five could do nothing to prevent that happening.

I strongly disagree with that premis.

If Kim ill Jong made such a choice, knowing it would result in a declaration of war from the five, then waiting to take action till he has them on top of missiles would mark a new definition of insanity.

May 14, 2009

Actually John, Lil' Kim doeasn't need me to teach him how to wipe pawns off a chessboard, but I would be willing to bet that a certain family heirloom might open his eyes a bit if I had the chance to show him that chunk of trinitite.

In my first post of May 2nd I spoke of "political will in tatters"... not in reference to the first 100 days, but as an overview of the cryptic nature of the challenges faced, and the arrogence of "ursurpers of dreams" we generally call dictators.

In my honest opinion, if the five other parties cannot see to it that the "concequences" of another nuclear test or missile launch would be so painful to Kim personally that he would not order its attempt, then indeed you cannot do more than "hope" he doesn't.

And whereas it concerns Kim's genocidal tendancies, treating his treatment of his own people as a separate issue is not solving the problem.

Folks think he's just running his mouth, but you know what?

Folks that threaten often get a case of terminal stupidity.

And then what up with that?

Folks all over the planet will be wondering why the Five parties didn't get a grip on this long before then.

Sooner rather than later please, this could get messy.

May 14, 2009

Pre-coffee post script:

Ok, got one eye propped open with a toothpick and ain't dreamin' this..., the water's on the boil, so I thought I'd add one thing about the next 100 days that ought to be on the "to do" list.

I appreciate the President's words on Sri Lanka yesterday, and the fact that an international voice has been raised in the treatment of civilians in conflict zones. Pakistan is to be commended for its efforts to address the IDP's from Swat, and this whole thing about "yes we can" is not just about us here in this country...it's gone global.

But folks, it seems this is more about mankind's ability to walk upright into this new century and leave the knuckle dragging neanderthal mindsets in the dusbin of history.

I think in the next 100 days we'll see who's on the bus and who ain't.

Gota get a grip. Pronto.

Well the president did mention he would be sorely tempted to "lose his cool" within that time period.

Being a New Mexican, you can always count on me to lend him a rope if needs be to deal with the ethicaly depraved..