Secretary Clinton's First 100 Days

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
State Department Employees Welcome Secretary Clinton
Secretary Clinton Greets State Department Employees
Secretary Clinton at the State Department
President Obama, Accompanied by Secretary Clinton, Greets State Department Employees in the Benjamin Franklin Room
Secretary Clinton Speaks at USAID
Secretary Clinton Appoints Todd Stern to be the Special Envoy for Climate Change
Secretary Clinton at Her Swearing-In Ceremony
Secretary Clinton Walks Out with French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner, Before Their Joint News Conference at the State Department
Secretary Clinton Shakes Hands with U.S. and Japanese Officials on the Tarmac at Tokyo's Haneda Airport
Secretary Clinton Holds Press Conference With Japanese Foreign Minister Nakasone
Maya Luna and Isyana Bagoes Oka Share a Laugh with Secretary Clinton on the Set of “Dahsyat” in Jakarta
Secretary Clinton Poses With Students and Officials at Ewha Womans University
Secretary Clinton Visits a Power Plant in Beijing
Secretary Clinton Speaks from a Podium at the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing
Secretary Clinton Makes a Statement About the 2008 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices
Secretary Clinton at the Gaza Conference
Secretary Clinton Relights the Eternal Flame and Lays a Wreath in the Hall of Remembrance
Secretary Clinton Talks with Palestinian Students at the English Access Micro-scholarship Program
Secretary Clinton with NATO Foreign Ministers in Brussels
Press Conference After a Dinner Meeting Between Secretary Clinton and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Geneva
Secretary Clinton in Turkey
Secretary Clinton With First Lady Obama at the International Women of Courage Award Ceremony
Secretary Clinton With Mexico's Secretary of Public Safety
Secretary Clinton at the Afghanistan Conference
Secretary Clinton With President Obama, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, and China's President Hu Jintao
Secretary Clinton Welcomes Defense and Foreign Affairs Leaders to the U.S. State Department During the Australian Ministerial Held There
Secretary Clinton and Haitian Prime Minister Michele Duvivier Pierre-Louis Speak to Reporters at the State Department
Secretary Clinton is Given a Tour of the Inter-American Woven Factory in Port-au-Prince
Secretary Clinton Testifies on Capitol Hill Before the House Foreign Affairs Committee
Secretary Clinton is Greeted Upon Her Arrival in Baghdad
Secretary Clinton Holds a Town Hall Meeting with Iraqis and Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) Staff
Secretary Clinton Boards Plane in Beirut, Lebanon

Today marks Secretary Clinton’s 100th day serving as Secretary of State.

The DipNote team selected some of our favorite photos to highlight the last one hundred days. We hope you enjoy them.

Comments

Comments

peggy
Illinois, USA
May 1, 2009

Peggy in Illinois writes:

The State Department is in excellent hands.

Sabrina O.
South Dakota, USA
May 1, 2009

Sabrina O. in South Dakota writes:

I just want to leave a note of how proud I am of Hillary Clinton; not just these past 100 days either! Listen to I Know You There by Casting Crowns~ That is a true song from my heart to hers!

Love, Light, & Brightest Blessings,
Sabrina
(Your Earth Angel)

Harold
Connecticut, USA
May 1, 2009

Harold in Connecticut writes:

Great Job! Thanks.

Karen M.
May 1, 2009

Karen M. in Washington, DC writes:

And OH what a wonderful 100 day's they've been. You make us proud Mdm. Secretary -- go get 'em!

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA
May 1, 2009

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

The amazing level of energy with which Hillary Rodham Clinton has addressed her duties during these first 100 days, the 13 page State Department brief documenting those first 100 days, and this lovely photo album attest to the truth that many of us predicted when she accepted the post: Hillary is the most vibrant, visible, brilliant, impassioned, warm, outgoing, and able Secretary of State we have ever seen. She's also easy on the eyes and ears -- more than easy -- a real pleasure to watch and listen to.

Hillary, on my grade roster, you have an A+ (many pluses) for your hard work. We have seen you working hard all of your life. It is no surprise to your supporters that you have tackled this job with such enthusiasm and skill. Thank you so much for all that you do in service to your country and to us, your fellow citizens. I'll never get tired of watching you never getting tired -- and looking beautiful doing so.

Go Hillary! Awesome work! A+!!!!!!!!

Ron
May 1, 2009

Ron in New York writes:

100 Days....giving 100%

Congratulations!

Larry
May 1, 2009

Larry in Florida writes:

Secretary Clinton is in the correct job. I am sure that she would have been a fine leader, however, she is a powerful Secretary of State. From her experiences gain as First Lady, she appears to be more erudite in foreign affairs than Obama.

Great team!

I am an admirer of both.

Helen
Pennsylvania, USA
May 1, 2009

Helen in Pennsylvania writes:

Thank you for posting all the wonderful pics of Secretary Clinton's 100 days in office.

Lisa

Lisa in California writes:

I love following Secretary Clinton on Twitter! Many thanks for posting these wonderful photos. She is an outstanding Secretary of State and a brilliant Diplomat!

Hillary, we love you here in California and you have our 100% support! I literally sleep so much better just knowing you are on our team in Washington.

I will never stop keeping the Dream alive that someday you will be our President!

Until then,May God continue to Bless you Mightily and guide you in all that you do for our country.

Joann

Joann in California writes:

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Hillary is making us all proud.

May 2, 2009

If I were to assess the merits of the first 100 days, I must first note the continuity in policy of international outreach begun by the Bush admin. in the wake of 9/11, the inception of many programs addressing diverse social problems that the Obama admin. has built its founding principals of current "post-review" policy. (isn't it always constantly reviewed in one aspect or another?)

This has aided the "comfort level " among other nations with the transition between presidents.

More importantly the programs and actions, PSI, Millenium challemnge, AIDS relief through Pepfar, Other disease mitigation efforts, the payment of UN dues, and back to back multilateral crisis efforts throughout the Bush admin have set the stage for the human race to embark on a truly cooperative venture to safeguard humanity's future.

It's not a static experiment, evolving from experience and "on the job training" in the face of the unknown, unknowable, and never predictable with total accuracy.

On futures and probability a civilization drinks, economy and stability interlinked.

Greed and disharmny abound inspite of hope, no help for the many dead. Political will in shambles.

All of us flying in the face of neglect to that which sustains us.

Who are these ursurpers of dreams?

Don't tread on me.

Jen
Michigan, USA

Jen in Michigan writes:

My two elementary school aged nieces and I have enjoyed following Secretary Clinton's travels throughout the world. She gets an A+ from all three of us!

gloria
Philippines

Gloria in the Philippines writes:

I love Hillary

Patrick
Maryland, USA

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Dear , Hillary And States Department personnel. :)

I think your doing a "Great Job" .These last 100 days you have been working very hard for our country. I liked that the States Department is going Green, and starting new programs to save Energy. I also thought it was nice that the Obama administration has appointed Todd Stern to be our Climate Change Ambassador. I think between Hillary's and Obama's work towards improving our Relations, with other countries the United States is going in the right direction.

I hope Hillary's allergys get better. Have a great weekend.

.......cya.....:)

Margaret
New Jersey, USA

Margaret in New Jersey writes:

I give our SOS an A+++++++++++++++++. Hillary is awesome and I wish her continued success.

Rev. A.
South Carolina, USA

Amy in South Carolina writes:

I am SO proud of Secretary Clinton! What a tremendous asset to our country, and to our relationships around the world. You are the BEST, Sec. Clinton!

Zain
New Jersey, USA

Zain in New Jersey writes:

Thank you Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for doing so well your first 100 days! The American people are behind you 100%!!

JOE
Tennessee, USA

Joe in Tennessee writes:

I viewed yesterdays CSPAN of a foreign officers meeting late last night and must admit that Secretary of State Clinton does have her eye on the ball when she made a statement as to Russians new buildings of Culture centers in places such as Pyongyang North Korea. I wonder if she also knew that Russia did have an official there when the missile was launched.

In any event, it is a diplomatic position and it can be surmised in one short statement: People are talking who did not in the past...and that is diplomacy.

Even the CATO institute gave some decent grades on International diplomacy -- and they go out of their way many times to find the one authority to find a flaw on either side of the fence -- so Kudos!

Sarah
Illinois, USA
June 24, 2009

Sarah in Illinois writes:

thanks for the photo post!

Patricia S.

Patricia S. in New York writes:

Congratulations to Secretary Clinton and her staff.

If not the Whitehouse then the World.

Emma

Emma in New York writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton, I just wanted to say that all your hard work with the many hours you work for your country are much appreciated. You have achieved 100% for the 100 days in office. I feel America has missed out on what could have been a brilliant President, but i am glad we have someone I fully trust in the State Dept. You have made diplomacy key to the future of American politics. I was moved by the recent speech you made honouring the 25 yr old man who lost his life, you obvioulsly care about people who serve their country. I am sure your hard work will be one day get you the position in government you fully deserve.

Susan
May 3, 2009

Susan in Florida writes:

Secretary Clinton, you are doing an incredible job, very impressive. A special thank you for helping to restore our honor and reputation around the world. Ron in NY said...100% all of the time. Thank you, it is definitely appreciated.

Donald
May 3, 2009

Donald in Virginia writes:

BLOGGERS IS LIKE THE A ROUNDTABLE OF THINKERS

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE STATE DEPARTMENT

We offer ideas, suggestions, input, agree or even dis-agree about comments and it doesn't lead to casualties of war. We are adults, we use or try to use good content and share our wealth of experience, knowledge and expertise on subject matters that can help the United States of America! We do this because we care about our country. The United States is not about Republicans or Democrats, it's about all Americans, all Races and all religons in our Country. It's also about the world we live in today. This forum is needed to help the State Department, the President of the United States and even our Congress and United State Senate have a pulse on citizens views. Godbless America!

Signed, Don

Patricia S.
May 3, 2009

Patricia S. in New York writes:

I just read, in The New York Daily News, that Secretary Clinton's approval rating is higher than President Obama's. The President's approval rating is 66% - Secretary Clinton's approval rating is 71%. As I posted on DipNote, on 5.2.09. - "if not the White House - then the World."

The World won and so did all its citizens.

Brian
May 3, 2009

Brian in California writes:

I as well echo Patricia S.'s senitiments. Secretary of State, Hillary Rodham Clinton has done an exquisite job as chief diplomat to the world. God Bless America....God Bless Secretary of State, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

RANDRIAMAMPIONONA S.
Madagascar
June 24, 2009

Solomon on Madagascar writes:

Mr Obama president of the USA
Mm Clinton secretary of USA
The all commadeur of Army in USA

I'm repeat again for confurme the ll already I'm write in the your all web of the United states of the America for confurme my protection of me and my country on Inter-mussil and Anti-musill and armour satelite and I'm confurme for only symbole for launch us atck on Army and suisude after 48h or (twoo Day ).
since to be the us USA dep of defence need and can and have right for cofurme the all need survey near my and Madagacar on sutuation and security.
But we not shoot and not launch us atack with us hard war go to the Madagascar for revenge and rescue me and my country and never accept anothere fraud give order as far as after 48h I'm not send message eache Sunday and Monday for symbole of unic for to beging us hard war and for lauch us Army and suisude of USA for execution us mission and never stop as far as we take the teritoirie of Madagascar for we can iself and rescue me and us people and Nation.
we not mercy and not tolerate and we never one let escape.

Mr president I hope you and your familly are good and the all action need for development and for security defence of Israel are walking good ,Thank Mr president and I hope we not stop as far as the Union States of USA are build .

Mr president my hope not cancell and not anull because the day have end and the time have finish. I'm and us must winn and I'm must earning the all need for deliver of pece and democracy. I'm and us must winn and I'm must earning the all need for deliver of true liberty and development. The world defence acompany of peace world. The world defence accept the my and us all give order and advice. The world defence respect the my and us all desire for liberate. The us all enemy against the Peace world not up again as fas as the end day to comme because there is against of the trust. The God Israel acompany of me and us. there is powerfull and can and have right for protect me and us and destroy the all enemy of me and the peace world ;and there is give the all winner for me and us the all defence and people and country acompany of me and us the peace world. Mr president we need confurme acompany of the peace world on defence and politic and diplomacy. We never lost on war and never desire for peace and not lost for deliver us true democracy and right of man in the world. Mr president to be we need warning and need take us deceide precis and deceide close for we need confurme us unit and union on politic and diplomacy and defence and contunie for war on terrorism ,because the terrorism to beging he revenge with on he war virus disease inlfuenza use he for destroy total us people and us economic and social in the all country war on terrorism and acompany of the peace world. We don't fear ,we use us gestion on protection and against the war virus. we not use the all anothere medicament suport and medicament another manufacture and marque
need for support we against the influenza virus. We not let us people traveling in anothere region and state and we not let quiter in all region eache live.

We need struct and check in the all man and people to get in to us state. we need stoping the import the all animal for eat and consome us peole. confurme us all point startegy security defence in us country and cofurme us point startegy defence in the all region we iself. we need use us defence of peace for execution us gestion for support arrange and help the all region in usa need support and check. I'm confurme for I'm must earning the winn in the next election presidential in madagascar for I'm execution my promise for remove the usa on place above and honour and number one in the world on economic and defence and use for renforcement building us project Union states of the USA.

I'm finish for building us project US009D.gov
I'm wait your support for my trveling for give us new Startegy of war US009.
The God Israel us protege
Your cooperation
RANDRIAMAMPIONONA SOLOMON

Wendy
May 4, 2009

Wendy in California writes:

I've been so profoundly proud and touched by these 100 days with SecHillary and the remarkable State Team in DC and around the world. Wow to each & all. I have learned so much and feel such a flourishing of hope in the dedication and ingenuity of SecHillary and the whole team. State rocks.

May 5, 2009

Donald wrote,

"We offer ideas, suggestions, input, agree or even dis-agree about comments and it doesn't lead to casualties of war."

Mmm, observational analysis of the war of ideas would indicate that the Flat Earth society has been all but wiped out...

..The Soviet empire has crumbled due to lack of interest in persuing an ideology... and al-quaida has failed to recruit the masses 'cause it brought forth an unworthy idea through abhorrent means.

Ideas, my friend, are extremely dangerous. Mostly to the status quo. We as a human race have climbed a mountain of "casualties" and called it "progress".

The concept of "Karma" is simply put, reaping what you sow. It goes way beyond this, and forms the basis of living in peace with your actions in the world, manifest from an idea, born of a thought.

In general prncipal;

People who bring trouble between them to your door, are asking you to engage in their karma, and feed it. They often blame you when it's still unresolved opon leaving.
If you've taken sides, one blames the consequences of the other's action opon you. You have just incurred karma and have done so by allowing the dispute to continue in your home first, and in siding with a disputant, and the attachment to the conflict that it represents, secondly.

I'm speaking as if it were two individuals involved, not nations. Though karma as a fixture in the human condition has international repurcussions in every aspect of foreign relations.

I think it's fair to say that if you save someone's life, you have incurred karma as well. It can be said that in saving a man's life, you are half responsible for that man's actions for the rest of his days, but only half so, the other half is his responsibility.

Karma works both ways, good and bad, with intended and unintended consequence potentially manifest.

Such are parameters of attachment to ideas.

Zharkov
May 5, 2009

Zharkov in U.S.A. writes:

100 days and the "reset" button still doesn't work.

1. North Korea restarted work on nuclear weapons;

2. NATO is completely ignoring Russian objections;

3. Russia is ready to intervene in NATO exercises in Georgia;

4. Britain is banning Americans from entering Britain on account of their free speech in America (i.e. Michael Savage, an American citizen and talk show host);

5. The Swiss are outraged at our behavior in extorting secret numbered account information;

6. Iran is not talking to us;

7. China cut up our federal credit card;

8. Jackson-Vanik legislation still restricts trade;

9. The Taliban is close to taking Pakistan;

10. Iraq gave us 30 days to remove our troops from their cities after which Iran will be their predominant influence.

On the plus side, OPEC members are considerably less solvent than before, but so are we.

So what's to celebrate?

Did we win an office softball game?

John
Greece
May 6, 2009

John in Greece writes:

@ Zharkov in U.S.A. -- 100 days are only 100 days, certainly not 48 or even 96 months. Contact: DipNoteGod.sp (space) if you believe in miracles!

Everybody understands Z that NO Administration could have achieved in just 100 days:

1. to make North Korea change stance

2. to make Russia understand that they are not NATO's moderator

3. to make Russia understand that nobody needs Putin's permission to proceed with NATO exercises in Georgia. There is no Soviet Union anymore! It used to be, but "died"

4. (I won't comment on the "Britain's issue" you refer -- I don't know the subject) Nevertheless, I believe that England is still one -- maybe the most dedicated -- of U.S.'s strongest allies and friends

5. to make Swiss understand that they were/are the worst "laundry country" in the world for many decades. We (West) have every right to have full access to any secret numbered account info and they should give all these info YESTERDAY, if we really want to stop worldwide political corruption and organized crime

6. Bring Democracy to Iran? Iran is the new millennium Hitler. What can you do, when you have to deal with fanatic religious dictators and "priests" that are psychos, in just 100 days?

7. Make China understand that they will soon end up like Soviets? China has cut up every western contact since the "0th" century. Some people think that they have opened their doors to capitalism. Sure! (irony) China knows that their only way to keep this kind of communistic "federation" is keeping 99% of the People away from West. They will soon end up dismembered too -- like Soviets

All the above are VERY TOUGH issues!

I think that's enough from me for now.

In fact, we cannot have a clear resolution in 100 days. I know -- through your comments -- that you are a Republican. So, I can understand your stance. And you have every right to think like this. However, moreover, you are American!

Give the new Administration some time for bringing results!

They travel worldwide.