U.S. Committed to Sovereign, Stable Iraq

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
April 26, 2009
Secretary Clinton and Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari at Press Conference

Secretary Clinton held a press conference with Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari yesterday in Baghdad. Secretary Clinton said:"It is encouraging to both see and hear about the progress that is being made in Iraq, and that came through to me not only in my official meetings with the foreign minister, the prime minister, and the president, but also with the special representative of the secretary general of the United Nations. The special representative briefed me about the work that the UN is doing, including the recently concluded report on disputed internal borders.

I especially appreciated the chance to meet with Iraqis, including a group of women who were both war widows and who were helping widows and their children. I also participated in an historic town hall meeting with Iraqi citizens representing a broad cross-section of Iraqi society. At every stop, I have emphasized President Obama’s message that our strategy working with you may be in a new phase, but we pledge our full and continuing commitment to Iraq and the Iraqi people.

We are committed to seeing an Iraq that is sovereign, stable, and self-reliant, and fully integrated into the region. We are working toward an orderly transition of responsibility from the American military to the Iraqi security forces, and we continue to help train and equip these forces so they will take the lead in safeguarding their country.

Like President Obama, I condemn these violent recent efforts to disrupt the progress that Iraq is making. My heart and America’s sympathy go out to the people who have died and the families who have suffered. This violence has only reinforced the Iraqi people’s determination to seek a better future for their country. Their response and the response of Iraqi’s leaders has been united and firm.

The end of the United States’ combat presence in Iraq by 2011 will mark the beginning of a new phase in our country’s relationship. As we draw down militarily, we will deepen our civilian cooperation in accordance with the strategic framework agreement. We will work on development and diplomatic initiatives and a regional agenda that includes border security and refugees.

The Iraqi people have withstood challenges of the most vicious and violent sort from those who would have torn their society apart, and Iraqis from everywhere have made tremendous sacrifices. The United States has also shared in those sacrifices. But we are proud of the progress that the Iraqi people have made. I said today that the Iraqi people are known for intelligence, hard work, and courage. And we will stand with you as you build a future worthy of all of the children in Iraq."

Read the transcript of the press conference.

Comments

Comments

syrian P.
Syria
April 26, 2009

SNP in Syria writes:

Get new flag with more appropriate emblem that represent Iraq. Raising a flag with SIN emblem is not fair to the other Mesopotamia deities lords. Likely to keep trouble in Iraq until their rights are acknowledged, so better without SIN only emblem.

Patricia S.
April 26, 2009

Patricia S. in New York writes:

I applaud the Secretary's efforts but the Obama administration has set out to on a "to do" and "accomplish" list that seems to headline -- wishful thinking.

RANDRIAMAMPIONONA S.
Madagascar
April 27, 2009

Solomon in Madagascar writes:

Mr Obama president of the USA, Mm secretary Clinton, The all Commadeur of the all us Army

we never lost a war on terrorism

we never postponed of moment for peace

we must winn for protect the democracy and right of man.

The terrorism section and country not stop sabotage and spy and gafe us corespondence and comunication of United defence of peace To be the problem politic in madagascar not arrange and not have solution ,there is need us participle for stabilize and up again the sutiation of the people malgache not victim on social and economic and security.

For only solution we can take direct us responsability and for execution your promise for support and help me for rescue my people and my Nation on us coperation project presidential legal in Madagascar,for we respect and delmiver the us democracy and right of man in madagascar ,I'm confurme and give info precis we are already earning the winn in the next election presidential in Madagascar, because the God already give us the winn and the all sutiation politic and action support and help us for we must winn and the people need us development and peace for up again the sutiation destroy total on economic and social.

For the we can stabilize on politic and diplomacy in usa we need confurme not separation the people blacka and white in usa country use for only road we can earning winn on economic and defence and execution us project Union States to becameAfrica contunent Unit of the USA on economic an defence. to be i'm not stop wait your support and help for confurme us work war on terrorism and building us all project,because to be your all support not livery of me. I'm on time building the US009D.gov for system paln most support need for execution the all project for up again usa on economic and the usa but we not stop launch the all funds maximum for looking foor and building the new project for development of the usa country and for against the problem work in usa..can participle on defit economic in the world Nation.

I'm not can transfer us US009 new startegy of war ,because us corespondence is not enssure ,the terrorism not stop spy. On time your wait my new strategy of war we need change the all strategy of war Air force use for on time Urgent need us Air force to defende and iself in the world Nation and for protection us Nation and the all country have protection of the usa and execution us misson urgent.

Mr president I need apointment of you Urgent.
The God us protege
Your coperation
Solomon

Patrick
Maryland, USA
April 27, 2009

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Hi, people of the States Department.

I hope Secretary Clinton had a good visit to Iraq, and everything went well. I like the photo of Hillary with Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari .

Have a Good Week cya....:)

onur
Afghanistan
May 12, 2009

Onur in Afghanistan writes:

Actually the U.S.A. is one of the most guilty state for the instability in the middle east. They have supported Israel by neglegting Arapstates rights and this not only has produced terrorism but also has discriminated between muslims and non-muslims. Throughout The Afghan invansion U.S.A. nurtured extremist Islamic groups in the region,thus the origin of Taliban were made up.

As to Iraq, American invansion provoked the actual disintegration and as usual, Western powers carried out notorious divide and rule policy.. when the U.S. troops withdraw , iraq will be on the edge of an domestic war.

There are some "necessities" to do for the U.S.A. First of all, they give up shattering groups and trt to unified iraq's ethnics. then, they have to take contributions of turkey that is the region's unique both muslim and democratic and prowestern power.

John
Greece
June 24, 2009

John in Greece writes:

@ Onur in Afghanistan

Sure! (IRONY) Onur! U.S.A. is the "devil" in Middle East? Whatever you say?
And what about the "devil" inside your claustrophobic and fanatic religion empathia?

QUOTE: "and this not only has produced terrorism but also has discriminated between muslims and non-muslims" END OF QUOTE.
I imagine you mean U.S.A. again. Right? (LOL)
Discrimination made in (from) America... (IRONY again)

By the way, can you tell us if there was a U.S.A. nation or country, when you begun your "spiritual", "holly" war, attempting to "get" all Europe, when the "dream" stopped outside Austria?

I imagine U.S.A. (THAT DID NOT EXIST BACK THEN) had also produced "terrorism, but also had discriminated muslims and non-muslims". Israel too. Right?

During ancient times, when Persians (Iran) came to Marathon and other today's Greek places (Peloponnesus etc.) in order to conquer everything, they were "forced" by the CIA. Right? NEVERTHELESS, THERE WAS NO CIA BACK THEN?

By the way (2): would you have internet today, if Americans were not there in order for you to have a free expression?

Best Regards Onur!

John
Greece
May 13, 2009

John in Greece writes:

Some months ago, Joe in TN had wrote that Palestinians would not have a "chance" without the existence of Israel. I'll add: Middle East would be a chaos without U.S.A. and Israel's efforts.

Iraq would fight Kuwait!

(by the way: some people say that America never won a "war". Sure! Among others, I remember G. Bush's great historical victory.)

Iran would fight Iraq!

Lebanon would fight "Palestine", or all together Turkey and Turkey Kurds and Syria and "Palestinians". And it goes!

You see my friend from Afghanistan, Middle East (Middle East is "further" than you think) is a geo/religion empathy, between many different local "teams" that either cannot collaborate, or they do not want to -- in order to keep on making money.

What America has to do with this "negative environment" that many "Middle Easters" create on a daily basis?

onur
Afghanistan
May 13, 2009

Onur in Afghanistan writes:

DEar JOhn you wrote down rights things. But i wanted to know one thing. What is the main reason among Middle Eastern Countries? what has caused to this hatred? Western people came and draw borders without taking into account anything. Saddam Husein was supported by America during 1981-1988 war. Extremist and islamic groups were supported by america during soviet invansion in afghanistan. We had lived in peace with our muslim brothers and non muslim brothers under the reign of Ottoman Empire.. western countries sent their missioners and broke all ties between two community namely muslim and non-muslim community. We have never demanded anything except peace and indepence. But picture is different now, people hate each other in the middle east thanks to western led by USA.

Only a Muslim country can solve the complex situation in the middle east and it is Turkey. Surely, Turkey should take western support by military and financial and political means. Actually I mean United NATions should take over the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan and the main troops should consist of Turks. Because not only middle eastern people but also afghan people love and obey to Turkish soldiers..

John
Greece
May 13, 2009

John in Greece writes:

@ Onur in Afghanistan -- Do you think that I am an 101? I don't buy such "nationalism games". I am not officially expressing the Greek government and surely, I do not hate or love Turkey. Do you?

I am saying this in order for you to understand that when I sign the by-line of my comments as "John in Greece", this does not necessarily mean that I think "local", unfortunately as you do. (think global-act local)

When I'm in here reading or writing, I respect this great platform of freedom and it's my global thirst for communication that orients my brain's and pen's behaviour and not my "DNA's nightmares", concerning religions or ex-dead-empires, you will never see again.

However, Onur, it's the second time that you write:

1. "But picture is different now, people hate each other in the middle east thanks to western led by USA."
2. "We had lived in peace with our muslim brothers under the reign of Ottoman Empire"

I think that's enough for me, for "closing the embassy of this discussion" between the two of us. I mean, I strongly disagree with you. I have an American ATIS, you have a religious-ethnical "low elevation". I love U.S.A. -- you love Ottoman Empire and you hate West.

What can I do?

The first thing you learn in DipNote (diplomacy in general) is: We agree 2 disagree!!!

Best Regards!

May 13, 2009

@ Onur in Afghanistan, First of all, welcome to the blog.

As an Afghan friend once said, regarding the talebs, the original taliban; blind kids that were offered shelter and learning in madrassa,...

"If a taleb is taught to believe that the sky is brown, how will you teach him it's blue?"

I think my friend, one must look at the whole in order to understand causaulogy of history.

All a blind man wishes for is one good eye to see the truth.

One then can see that no one nation or people are responsible for creating this reality when all are doing so, with intent. Of one sort or another.

Aye, and there have been many victims of interpretation of intent throughout history.

In a land that has been conquered time and again, I suppose it takes people some getting used to for a nation such as the U.S.A. to give a whole country back to the original owners, time after time.

OK fine, so a society still has this "thing" about big powers having run things, but you're able to tap into Dipnote, so you're only a click or two away from State's entire history of American foreign policy.

Going to the source may help you understand those good questions you ask.

Ba Sepaas.

onurr
Afghanistan
May 16, 2009

Onur in Afghanistan writes:

Dear John from Greece,

the words "we had live in peae during the Ottoman reign" doesnot belong to me. Abdullah,The king of the Jordan ,said it to haluk bayulen , former foreign minister,minister of national defence , ambassador, and one of the closest friend of Father bush. Haluk bayulken is my step- grand father and i quated King Abdullah's words. It is the undeniable truth. But you wrote i love USA. It smells lackeyness. I did not say I hate the USA. But the responsible of terrorism and middle east problem belongs to Western.

John
Greece
June 24, 2009

John in Greece writes:

@ Onur in Afghanistan

Nice story with your step-grand father. My Uncle Ben had told me a similar story:
rice is not rice / pilaf is the rice.

In 'heaven'!

Of course, my uncle was not either a King, nor a minister. However, a good cook!