Secretary Clinton Responds to Your Text Messages

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
March 12, 2009
Secretary Clinton Greets Employees

Secretary Clinton recently traveled to the Middle East and Europe. During her travels, she received questions via text message. In response to those questions, when asked how she would describe the trip, Secretary Clinton said:"I thought this trip was a very good start for the new policies and the new approaches of the Obama Administration. I particularly appreciated all the work that went into the announcement that I made at Sharm el-Sheikh that the United States would commit more than $900 million to the cause of humanitarian relief for the Palestinians in Gaza and for the work that the Palestinian Authority is doing in the West Bank.

I also very much enjoyed visiting a program that is in a contest for State Department recognition, talking to women in Israel who are part of a micro-finance and entrepreneurial training program, and then going to Ramallah and the West Bank and visiting another State Department-supported program, the ACCESS program that teaches young Palestinians, as it does with young people in many countries, learning English and learning more about our culture. This is a program specifically aimed at young people who are not from well-to-do, affluent, already-educated families. I was just thrilled at their enthusiasm.

Those are the highlights of what was a very important trip and a good beginning for our efforts."

Secretary Clinton responded to the other frequently asked questions here.

Comments

Comments

Alyssa J.
March 13, 2009

Alyssa J. in New York writes:

This is why I love you Hill...always interacting with us, taking time out and further demonstrating that you respect, appreciate and have our best interests in mind. Be safe and keep kickin' a**! You're doing a greatttt job.

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA
March 13, 2009

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

Hi Hillary,

I did not text you about this because it was days later when I knew what events you had attended. As you know, American universities compete for international students in order to supplement their enrollment and maintain employment for faculty and staff. I was surprised and happy to see that aid will be provided for promising students to advance their studies. It was not clear to me whether any of these funds would be dedicated to graduate or undergraduate studies in the U.S. or whether these students would be studying in their own countries. I am hoping for the former. For many reasons aside from maintaining American university programs and staffing, e.g. cultural exchange and understanding, this is an important objective.

As a veteran of a bi-national center where I taught EFL, I was most impressed to see your interest in English Language training. Having graduated to teaching and training EFL/ESL teachers, I wonder to what degree our TEFL/TESL university programs can expect a continued influx of students. My colleagues and I constructed a program for teachers from Korea who wish to teach English in Korea. Is President Roh Moo-hyun still invested in the idea that all of these teachers hold a certificate from an American university? Has this changed due to the economy? Is there a chance that Amideast will be sending any Palestinian students to American universities for similar studies?

I do not mean these questions as "text questions." In truth, they are merely a reflection of current economic concerns from my little corner of a big country, and Lord knows you have enough on your plate without having to worry about the domestic economy in this sense right now. But if, in your travels, you have opportunities to send some international students our way, especially for grad studies in TEFL, we would be happy to have them. I will not single out my university. We can all compete for the applications on our merits.

We watch you, out there, on our computer screens and are overwhelmed (as usual) at the great work you are doing. We are not surprised since we watched you in the Senate as well.

Stay well. We love you.
Rosemary (signing for your Homegirls)

Paul
Illinois, USA
March 21, 2009

Paul in Illinois writes:

I completely disagree with your offer of $900 million in aid to the Palestinians. They themselves brought this destruction down upon themselves by allowing Hamas to rain rocket fire on Israel for 4 years. They did nothing to stop it. U.S. Taxpayer $$ should not be used to reward them... otherwise this will be a "Mouse that Roared" scenario... they want money... start a war..

Second, you and I both know that this money will be stolen by Abbas and his Hamas counterpart. They will enrich themselves. There is NO way that you or anyone can prevent that. I am struggling to make a living now... I do not want to see these animals enriched with MY tax money.

Third.. Hamas is a terrorist organization. This money will be used to supply and resupply even more sophisticated arms that will be used in the future for further military action against Israel.

Please.. DO NOT USE MY MONEY TO SUPPORT THESE PEOPLE.

Daniel
Hawaii, USA
March 13, 2009

Daniel in Hawaii writes:

Secretary Clinton,

What are the Administrations concerns regarding the North Korean missile tests? As a citizen of Hawaii I am very concerned of their increasing range not only to the 5oth state, but other regions in the Pacific as well. Shouldn't we be more involved in their evil posturing?

Sincerely,
Daniel M.
Kihei, Hawaii USA

Wendy
March 14, 2009

Wendy in California writes:

Dear SecState Hillary,

As I read about "the commitment you carry in your heart" to give all children a better chance, the 1949 Rodgers & Hammerstein 'South Pacific' song rang in my head. Not one of these children is born with any of the ghastly antagonisms which cripple and embitter their parents.

....................

Before it's too late
Before you are 6 or 7 or 8
To hate all the people
your relatives hate
You've got to be carefully taught
..............

The world's parents must must be hugely deeply brave, and if they cannot forgive, they must !must! get to neutral and turn their eyes to the future for their children and leave the past -- Yes, turn from the past so none of their children have to bear the dread burdens of a past whose bungles or atrocities *they* the children did not perpetrate. Set the children free in their future. Give them that gift.

Patrick
Maryland, USA
March 14, 2009

Patrick in Maryland writes:

I think the state Department is doing a great job,in getting people involved in the futures of their countries. I like the idea of more town hall meetings in other countries.

I think the Obama administration is living up to their letting people see what is going on in their goverment, and people are getting more involved which is great.

This is a good start to a new Year, and administration.

Cya :)

vivian
March 16, 2009

Vivian in Florida writes:

anxiously awaiting new policy from the president on cuba. congress did not go far enough. we are a free country and we are the best ambasadors to democracy. also, in these economic times, we must find new trading partners, especially to save our farmers hard work as they loose their farms. we need to have an influence on cuba with more direct contacts.

please read this article http://tinyurl.com/bnj2rx

ashishkumar
India
March 14, 2009

Ashish in India writes:

madam secretary,

Indians all over the world are eagerly waiting for your visit to India.

I believe that your visit to India as the secretary of state would greatly enhance the co-operation between the largest and the most admirable democracy in the world.

I sincerely hope that you would find time from your extremely busy schedule to visit India this year.

With warm regards
Ashish

Sanders
Louisiana, USA
March 14, 2009

Sanders in Louisiana writes:

You are doing such a great job as Sect of State i would love to have you viste my city in louisiana i have been a big fan of you and Bill for many years and would like to invite you and fomer president to my Home and visted with the good folks in New Iberia, La Be well

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA
March 15, 2009

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

@ Wendy in CA --

Wendy! You sang to Hillary! I love that song and all of "South Pacific!"

We have to be careful. Our Judeo-Christian culture teaches children to respect the Golden Rule. We should not be too trusting, though. Nine of the 9/11 hijackers lived only eight blocks away from me. When the NY Times interviewed people for the story, everybody said essentially the same thing: they kept to themselves and we didn't push them to socialize.

I live in a big, diverse city, and we are very inclusive. That time, not questioning what did not quite fit cost us the lives of our neighbors.

I agree that we are taught to hate. But we must also teach caution. In our haste to be received and receptive, we should not be deceived. There's a huge hole in NYC that attests to that error.

Wendy
March 15, 2009

Wendy in California writes:

@ Rosemary NJ -- I agree entirely that we need to be smart. However, thru my whole life I've heard people of many nations mouth the words about "their children" and "future generations." I'm just asking that all the world's parents finally actually turn from the pasts that their dear children did not perpetrate and free those children into building a sane & fruitful future.

Imagine IF the world's parents in their minds exchanged children for a day and proceeded to build a smart future looking across the room at their beloved child in the care of another? Because *that* is the truth. The future for your child is strengthened and made safe in so far as we magnify the fruitful future instead of the poisonous past. The future is where your children live, and we can build it however we want IF we in a disciplined way practice turning from the aggrieved & suspicious past. So we have the time, energy, and will to steadily craft a future where our children can thrive.

The world's parents must deliberately and methodically choose their children's wide future over their own narrow pasts. The obstacles are trivial compared to the rewards. Two steps forward. One step back. Fall down. Get up. Step forward again. It is the brave, noble, and smart way to do.

RANDRIAMAMPIONONA S.
Madagascar
March 16, 2009

Solomon in Madagascar writes:

Mr president of the United Statesof the America and Mm secretary Clinton and the commadeur of the USA Army

INFO
the small problem politic in Madagascar go to arrange the Governement of Madagascar and the Rebellion accept open meting for realize and building referadum use for arrange he problem peace in Madagascar. To be us project peaces world already walking good and the defence in world accept and respect and acomapany of us. Mr president the member in the Peaces world already take us responsability for looking for and ready puinush and for follow and for destroy the all terrorism and acomapany sabotage us project and corespondence defence of the USA, Russian Union, and Israel and anothere defence of country in the world.

ECONOMIC
confurme us acount in all country acompany of us and not stop launch funds for project on extation and building new Usine for renforcement us produict of fuel and gaz and anothere usine produict for export for development in usa and we need ecxecution us system gestion on economic and marketing for searche new point strategy Inter-comercial use for enssure we earning the maximum price on fuel and gaz for remove us rate eEconomic United state of the America we need building us U.S.009plan for development the usa on economic .(U.S.009.D.gov) use for we can enssure the up again the United States of the America and for we can iself in the world on Econoimic.

DEFENCE
confurme us researche on Tecnology of nuclear use we earning new technology of base nuclear use for reduce the potentila of radiation nuclear to became and earning the new solution nuclear use for we can support on walking good the live of day us peopel and use for medecine operation and economise the Fuel stock in the planet world. we need launch us funds for realize my traveling go to in the usa use for I'm give us new startegy of war U.S.009,because there is secret defence of usa also there is Interdit send in mail and web and use for I explaind us project PEACES WORLD and for us project presidential in 12 december 2012 in Madagascar.

COPERATION
Mr president I'm not change my deceide for acompany of you and USA and wait your suport on buidget and all material and security need for realize us project presidential in Madagascar in 12 december 2012 for we building the new state for confurme us United and Union States in the world

URGENT
I'm repet again when I not send message for your and USA defence in the monday your not wait my give order for launch the Commado suisude of USA Army and US Army for shoot direct the all terrorism and bombing the he country and not stop as far as there is finish and destroy total because us enemy country terrorism testing us force of USA , we need open us startover on us mussile Inter-contunental use for to defend us acompany and iself the all atack us enemy country terrorism in the world. for protect us honor of USA powerful your need not mercy and not tolerate.

Your coperation
SOLOMON

shane
March 16, 2009

Shane writes:

Talking to women in Israel who are part of a micro-finance and entrepreneurial training program, and then going to Ramallah and the West Bank and visiting another State Department-supported program, the ACCESS program that teaches young Palestinians, as it does with young people in many countries, learning English and learning more about our culture. This is a program specifically aimed at young people who are not from well-to-do, affluent, already-educated families. I was just thrilled at their enthusiasm.

Richelle
Nevada, USA
March 19, 2009

Richelle in Nevada writes:

Dear Ms. Clinton,

After reading the highlights of your trip, how do Americans follow suit in developing these types of programs here where more women can learn more entreprenaurial and finance skills? For our changing economy it is imperative that our nations people understand more about money and how we are affected locally and globally.

And in addition where may we concerned citizens and youth get involved in learning about other languages and cultures in similar programs like ACCESS?

Dr.Zirak
Pakistan
March 19, 2009

Zirak in Pakistan writes:

Hi there,

I could not find other e-mail so I am sending e-mail on this address. Please provide me with alternative e-mail address of appropiate person if you have any.

This comment is for you to consider seriously.

U.S. immgration is either through employment sponsorship or through family relation.

I suggest a point based system for immgiration where upon applicants score points aganist set criterias and certain points are needed for one to be eligible for immigration.Certain countries like Canada has this in place.

Please consider my proposal very seriously.

Regards,
Dr.Zirak

Marilyn
Kentucky, USA
March 20, 2009

Marilyn in Kentucky writes:

Secretary Clinton,

I am glad to see you working in the current administration. You always focus on women and youth and that should be a major focus for our country. Women are the backbone of a family and our youth need educating to ensure a more stable community and country. Thank you for the service you bring to the table.

Mary
March 20, 2009

Mary in California writes:

Hillary -- what can I say -- but that everywhere you go you make us proud. I fly my American flag again, for you...

Ruth
May 1, 2009

Ruth in New York writes:

Madame Secretary,

I would like to thank you for your recent remarks to North Korea. My family housed a South Korean exchange student in his high school years and now that he has returned home we fear for the safety of his country. He has told us of how South Korea lives in the shadow of North Korea and the many problems this creates for the people of the south. North Korea should not be dealt with naively or lightly. Too many innocent people's lives and livelihood are at stake.

I would also like to thank you for the manner in which you have raised the profile of the issues of women and girls at home and around the world.

I truly hope that someday you are our first woman president as you have stood strong for the issues that affect women and children your whole life. I can think of none other who would best fill that historic position.

You are doing a marvelous job as Secretary of State. Thank you again for all your efforts and hard work.