Secretary Clinton Departs for Middle East, Europe

Posted by Robert Wood
March 1, 2009
Interactive Travel Map

Interactive Travel Map | Text the SecretaryAbout the Author: Robert Wood serves as Acting Department Spokesman and Acting Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs.

The Secretary’s plane is taxing down the runway en route to Egypt. My colleagues are reading briefing papers, listening to iPods and catching a few hours of sleep. Many of us haven’t fully unpacked from travel to Asia last week, but the purpose of this trip has kept the team’s energy levels high.

In Egypt, the Secretary will participate in the Gaza donor’s conference being held in Sharm el-Sheikh. Leaders from around the world will assemble at the conference to address the immediate humanitarian concerns in the Gaza Strip. Addressing the pressing needs in Gaza is important to the United States. We also want to move forward the comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace that President Obama spoke about when he and Secretary Clinton named Senator Mitchell as Special Envoy for Middle East Peace. After visiting Egypt, Secretary Clinton will visit Israel and the Palestinian territories.

Later in the week, the Secretary will travel to Brussels, where she will meet with NATO and EU foreign ministers. She’ll then go to Ankara, where she’ll meet with senior Turkish officials. Along the way, you will be hearing from State Department employees who have worked on various aspects of the Secretary’s trip.

Many of you are accustomed to following the Secretary’s travels here on DipNote. This time, you may also follow her travels via a new interactive map on state.gov featuring the Secretary’s latest video, photos, and remarks. As you follow along, feel free to text the Secretary questions about her travel. We look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

Comments

Syrian P.
Syria
March 1, 2009

SNP in Syria writes:

It is turn for Gazzan to get lucky with someone else cash, neat International NWO system, Americans work hard for the money and Sec. Clinton gives it to the Gazzan so they get the opportunity to spend few years sucking the Hookah pipe, get to learn how to fire Kassam firecrackers for fun. For many Americans they are not aware that they too had a doner s conference few months ago to help the U.S. Government get out of the cash crunch, few conferences in fact, although it was discreetly held. Unfortunately, just like Americans did not get a dime of the cash donated by Arabs, all gone to bailout the bankers 3 billion bonus checks, Gazzan will not see a dime of the cash either. It shall all ends up invested in Downtown London Financial District, just as Arafat taught them. Now you know why Palestinians still lives in shacks and their economy is one hundredth of Tijuana City economy.

Cocktail Parties will no do, LEADERSHIP DOES IT.

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA
March 1, 2009

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

@ Robert, how nice to hear from you! I see your daily briefings at the State Department website, so I feel like I know you. The interactive map is great. I wish everyone aboard the best on this important trip.

You said some folks were sleeping and others were listening to ipods. I bet, when you wrote that, that Hillary was among those reading briefing papers. I know she does her homework. She always gets an A+ from me.

Wendy
March 1, 2009

Wendy in California writes:

Dear Mr. Wood,

Following the State Team on Dipnote has taught me so much already. I'm very glad to see that the map has both the names in the way that the home country would put them as well as the English. I've begun to refer to EarthVuravuraJeegoo so that I'm not so Englishcentric. (I adore English, a fabulous pirate language which stole the needed words & sentiments from all over -- a source of its strength & versatility, but I think also respecting the strengths of others is essential to the new collaborative power that we're all sharing on EarthVuravuraJeegoo.)

I know that drinking lots of water is the best thing for jetlag, but do you all who travel so much have any other tips? Safe journey, safe return.

Terry
Connecticut, USA
March 1, 2009

Terry in Connecticut writes:

Thanks Secretary Robert Woods for the update. I watch your State Dept briefings every day on this website. I am becoming a great follower of our foriegn policy now that Hillary is our Secretary of State. I hope Secretary Clinton stays a BIG player in national security and foriegn relations along with Defense Secretary Gates and National Security Advisor Jones.

Nancy
March 2, 2009

Nancy in California writes:

I LOVE this interactive Map, what a great idea. It would be fun to download it to my facebook page, but I don't know how.

Dennis
Oregon, USA
March 2, 2009

Dennis in Oregon writes:

Good Luck! Do us proud.

Jonathan
March 2, 2009

Jonathan in California writes:

I love the interactive map! This sort of web 2.0 and hi-tech social media is great! Keep it up! Thanks!

Citizen
Israel
March 2, 2009

C. in Israel writes:

Mrs. Hillary Klinton, you can't solve the problems in your own country. How can you judge about a region that you don't know at all, and about the people whose mentality and psychology you absolutely don't understand?! Or that's by the principle -- above all, to say something?!

RANDRIAMAMPIONONA S.
Madagascar
March 2, 2009

Solomon in Madagascar writes:

Mr Obama president of the United States of the USA and secretary Clinton

The terrorism not stop sabotage and gafe us corespondence defence of U.S. Army and the United Nation and the all defence in the world have corespondece of Peaces world. The terrorism have strong base of funds terrorism and there is have section Inter-coperation and Inter-cowork use for spy and sabotage us all information for war on terrorism. There is not fear us and there is open war of us defence in the world acompany of the Peaces world. confurme us suport and help for Israel state on fuds Anti -terrorism and armement and protection on Anti-mussil use for deliver us true peaces in palestine and for finish us work war on terriorism in Africa and Madagascar and in the world. because Israel help and suport us on war and peaces.

POLITIC: For confurme us base of politic and diplomacy in the world on defence and Economic ,we need to get into participle for help and suport munimum on all action need for development and up again on economic and social for in all coutry have war nuclear and atomic of USA on time Two war in the world in Asie and Europe.

DEFENCE: we need careless the all wrong moment of us enemy for agaisnt he us USA powerfull in the world use for use for we building us point strategy Inter-defence and Inter-Economic for waranty us security defence and economic for USA.

ECONOMIC: For execution your all promise for change of people america on economic and defence and for anothere base need development a long time ago for United States of the America ,we need use us system gestion of base for subsidize for all action need for walking good of the every day live of base and for remove the salary of base the people america and for all object and material need for construict of and use for remove and for change the rate economic the People and country of USA.

WAR ON TERRORISM: We need confurme us research on technology of base nuclear and us research on technology of base chientific ,use for we can agaisnt the terrorism and for we keep us place and us honor on number one on defence in the world use for we to defend and iself the world Nation.

CONFIDENTIAL: I hope you are suport and help on to all action need for execution my project presidential on time election presidential in Madagascar in the 12 december 2012.use for I and Mr president George W.Bush and USA for building the new State for confurme us strog base of usa and Africa to became Unit on defence and economic.

Mr Obama president of the USA ,on time your send in election presidential in USA ,I'm have many responsability for help and suport you and your democrate on corespondece in all state of america use for you earning the winn, because I'm and my all project acomapany and have base of the Democracy.

The God us protege
Your coperation
SOLOMON

Thomas
New Hampshire, USA
March 2, 2009

Thomas in New Hampshire writes:

looking rorward to hearing about constructivde progress on Gaza issues.

Tifom
Germany
March 6, 2009

Tiforn in Germany writes:

Dear all,

I really like DipNote, its a great peace of work. Well done!

My special interest belongs to the new "Interactive Map". Just great! Can you provide the code to me so I can add it to my blog "secretaryclinton.blogspot.com"?

Many thanks.

---
DipNote Bloggers write: Thanks for the comments on DipNote and the new interactive map. The current version of the map isn't embeddable, but we'll let you know if future versions provide that option,