Asia Trip Inspires Current and Future Leaders Alike

February 23, 2009
Secretary Clinton at Ewha Woman's College

About the Author: Christopher R. Hill serves as Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia and Pacific Affairs.

We just wrapped up the last event on the last leg of Secretary Clinton's travel to Asian capitals: Tokyo, Seoul, Jakarta, and now Beijing over a week. We got a lot of business done in our meetings with government leaders, but we also learned a lot during the town halls and roundtables the Secretary held at each stop.

I'll admit that as the father of two daughters (including a Wellesley grad) and as former ambassador in the Republic of Korea, I especially got a kick out of the town hall at Ewha University in Seoul. Thousands of students showed up -- despite the fact that they're on winter break -- to ask the Secretary everything from what her priorities were as Secretary of State to how she's managed to balance the demands of career and family. Korea's future women leaders clearly appreciated her wise counsel on all fronts.

A trip like this can be exhausting, but I'm heading back to Washington inspired by the tremendous energy and excitement we've seen in Asia.

Comments

Comments

Wendy
February 23, 2009

Wendy in California writes:

It's been truly stupendous to follow you all's travels on the increasingly remarkable Dipnote & statedotgov. I am inspired. I am thrilled. Smart power yes! Respect yes! Thank you all at State for your fabulous planning for this transpacific journey and for your coverage and Ain't it grand to have an SoS who is radiant with deeply authentic respect for the dreams of others. Wow all around.

Patrick
Maryland, USA
February 23, 2009

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Thanks for putting up this post Christopher R.Hill. I have been reading about all your jobs, before you became Sec. of State for East Asia. You really get around being Ambassador or Envoy to so many countries. I hope you have good luck with the Six Party Talks. :) Great photo of the :)ing Future women leaders.

It's good to hear China will be supporting us & othercountries. I watched the video with Minister Yang J.I thought it was really good, i like when he said it was chilly in China .I think he was talking about the Snow. lol , I'm happy he will be visiting us on March 9, 2009. I think if China can make it Snow, they can help us with the worlds problems. Keep up the good work :) .Cya :)

Patricia
February 23, 2009

Patricia in California writes:

I am so grateful to have finally discovered DIPNOTE and the State Department website. Every State Department writer in DIPNOTE gives me a little glimpse into the country to which they've been posted. Their writings also help one to understand the changes that are occurring around the globe. It is wonderful to know that we Americans have so many gifted and creative individuals representing us throughout the world.

It has also been exciting to watch the videos and read the transcripts of the Secretary of State's visits to Japan, Indonesia, South Korea, and Japan.

Thank you for the great job you all do.

FRANCISCO M.
February 23, 2009

Francisco M. in California writes:

Thank you...for the educational information.. I am at the county library and learning.....

paul h.
Canada
February 23, 2009

Paul H. in Canada writes:

I am a Korean-Canadian living for 35 yrs so far in Canada. Strong messages Hilary made to N.Korea not to act absurd military provoke against S.Korea where I was brought up for 29 yrs including my childhood before came to Canada was made me feel comfortable so much. To keep freedom needs strong power to fight those who try to destroy it. That's why strong relationship between U.S. and S.Korea must be kept as have been, I think.

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA
February 23, 2009

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

Thank you so much, Secretary Hill, for this nice post. This blog has been a blessing during the tour. It provided the best coverage for the "netizens" back home. It's wonderful to see such energy going into positive channels of diplomacy. Secretary Clinton did a fine job of setting her own style (one that many of us here recognize very well), but real success depends on teamwork and many people behind the scenes. Dipnote gave us the glimpses behind the curtain. I certainly enjoyed the stories, and more importantly, appreciate the hard work on the part of the U.S.A. and the woman who is our face abroad. I cherish her and my country. Great job, everybody!

Rudyanto
Indonesia
February 24, 2009

Rudyanto in Indonesia writes:

Long live Ms. Clinton,

I am gla to see you smile and happy in Seoul, Not just like what happened in Indonesia.

As a amn, i am in favor of the movement where men and women should be equally treated. There is a wise saying , in every great man in one way or another, there must be a woman behind him. I believe it is true.

Cheers,

Respectfully
Rudyanto

Chen
China
February 24, 2009

Chen in China writes:

I've read a lot news about you when you served your term as Sec. of State for East Asia and the Envoy in the Six Party Talk . As a fabulous diplomat, you did a terrific job in Rice's term, preserving the benefits of your country, promoting the processes of this constructive talk system and keeping a power balance in this territory.On the other hand, you showed your special charm to our Chinese. Although the denucleariztion of DPRK still has a long way to go, you've done your best in these several years.

I've learn the gossip said that you'll be sent to Iraq as the Ambassador,and this is your last trip to Asia as the Assistant. I appreciate the diplomatic performance you've done in East Asia and look forward to seeing you in your next position. Good luck!

Dorotea
Italy
February 24, 2009

Dorotea in Italy writes:

Mrs Clinton, how would you speak about womens rights in a European, civilized, educated, artfull countru like Italy? I mean, in some countries all over the world unfortunately there are evident violations of womens rights and I do agree with the need to condemn them but when these violations happen because of cultural habits, because in a latin country women are "something" men own, because "you cannot have the same career as a man because you're a woman" what would you say? And would we (Italian women) do?

Thanks a lot
Dorotea R.

Davd R.
Arizona, USA
February 24, 2009

David R. in Arizona writes:

Sec. Clinton I think your doung a wonderful job trying to change the U.S.'s image in the Eastern Asia region. It was about time that we be that bright star to the world for opprunity, euality and justice.

Eunju
South Korea
February 26, 2009

Eunju in Korea writes:

Dear Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton!

Your visiting here at Ewha, was an event of empowering young women itself!

As a leader of small praying group of Christian students, I thank you and welcome to come to Ewha Woman's University.

We support your vision and commitment for peacebuilding efforts on the Korean peninsula.

And, we sincerly hope that your outstanding leadership as a politician as well as a female exemplary will further advance the world to a more peaceful and stable place for all.

We'll continuously pray for you and your nation to be a good leader and a good leading nation for all nations!!

Alaudin D.
Canada
February 27, 2009

Alaudin in Canada writes:

Secretary Clinton, you and President Barack Obama have an opportunity to do so much good for the world peace. Keep up the good work.