Secretary Clinton: U.S. Strengthens Pacific Partnerships

February 16, 2009
Dignitaries Greet Secretary Clinton Upon Her Arrival to Tokyo

About the Author: Hillary Rodham Clinton serves as the U.S. Secretary of State.

I am delighted to post my first entry to the DipNote community upon arriving in Tokyo, the first stop on my first trip as Secretary of State.

In addition to Tokyo, I will also be visiting Jakarta, Seoul, and Beijing this week where I hope to demonstrate America's sincere intention to develop broader and deeper relationships with nations throughout Asia and the Pacific.

Over the past 30 years, I've had the privilege of traveling to a very different Asia. Today, Asia is on the cutting edge of so many of the world's innovations and trends. In making my first trip as Secretary of State to Asia, I hope to signal that we need strong partners across the Pacific, just as we need strong partners across the Atlantic. I have become fond of saying that America is as much a transpacific power as it is a transatlantic one.

The Obama Administration believes that the futures of the United States, countries in Asia and around the world are increasingly inextricably linked. As you may know, I spoke from the Asia Society in New York City on Friday afternoon where I outlined the opportunities that I see for stronger bilateral, regional, and global cooperation and ongoing collaboration to deal with the economic crisis, to strengthen our alliances, to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons, and to build on efforts to face challenges like climate change, clean energy, pandemic healthcare crises and so much more.

As I've said before, America cannot solve the problems of the world alone, and the world cannot solve them without America. A Chinese aphorism says, "When you are in a common boat, you need to cross the river peacefully together." The wisdom of that aphorism must guide us today.

During my travels, I intend to take advantage of new social media tools so the State Department can share its diplomatic work with a broader audience. I invite you to use these tools and become a part of this conversation. Be sure and visit DipNote throughout the week for updates from the trip. If you have questions for me during my trip and beyond – send me a question through the newly launched Ask the Secretary feature at www.state.gov.

Comments

Comments

Rosmary
New Jersey, USA
February 16, 2009

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

Dear Mme. Secretary,

How nice to see a post directly from YOU! I was happy to see the photo feed of your arrival at Yahoo this morning. You are certainly the smiling face of the U.S.A. to the world. You looked like you really enjoyed meeting the athletes of the Special Olympics World Winter Games, and I'll bet they were proud to meet you as well.

My favorite part of your post was the section about taking this tour outside of the ministerial buildings into the town hall context for a chance to listen to the people and their concerns. Of course your friends all know that this is a very important part of how you operate. It's one of the things we love so much about you. (We talk about you all the time).

Stay safe and well. We are watching and listening with pride, love, and the fascination you always generate when your brilliance is manifest. We see that and we say, "Wow! Do that again!" (Then you always DO!).

Hugs from NJ

Terry
Connecticut, USA
February 16, 2009

Terry in Connecticut writes:

Great pic and good luck Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. You will do us proud over the next week representing Pres. Obama and the U.S.. Godespeed!

Pauline
February 16, 2009

Pauline from Florida writes:

Greetings Madame Secretary,

It was great to see the new face of American diplomacy today. You represent all that is good about America.

I applaud you for your strength, your poise, and your commitment to your country.

My prayers are with you. You never fail to inspire me.

P.S. So sorry that "first laddie" was unable to accompany you. Hope you enjoyed the roses, :)

Dee
February 16, 2009

Dee in New York writes:

God speed, Secretary Clinton. Looking forward to reading about your trip on the DipNote. I am learning much more about the world through you and your department.

Lamport W.
Canada
February 16, 2009

Wendy L. in Canada writes:

Look at the machinations of corporate japan, japan corporate, japan duma, duma opera, etc. for a complex historical analysis of how this old world of Imperial Order seeks to continue to manipulate U.S. foreign policy since the end of World War 2. The entire confederacy of old Soviet-Hong Kong-Triad relationships is a sham to move Japanes filmmaking techniques to China as previously logged. Perhaps if Putin has an ounce of Vladistock in his Swedish Volvo Venezuela, the old fisherman could stand for something other than ice hockey and CCCP BS. I wonder whom is behind the assignment of Falun Dafa naming systems at the casinos in Canada and Falun Gong naming systems at the casinos in Vegas and All Cool. Not for my dollar, but if WalMart signals are still sending robbery code to Beijing, perhaps we should outright end all political niceties between the United States and the Pacific Rim of Terror.

Andrea
February 16, 2009

Andrea in New York writes:

I was proud to call you my senator, and now I'm proud to have you representing our country abroad.

Good luck, God speed, and...well, I'm tempted to say "give them hell if you have to", but I know that our foreign policy has turned a page with you at the helm.

And besides, your tactical skills and acumen are much more finely honed than that!

Christy
Michigan, USA

Christy in Michigan writes:

Madame Secretary:

I love how you roll. Congratulations on your appointment, and congratulations on a successful start to this trip. I sleep better at night knowing that you are the person that is taking care of our relationship with the rest of the world. Thank you for taking care of business. Finally, I feel the future of my kids is being protected. Anything I can do for you, you just let me know. Have a productive and successful trip.

Christy

Katherine D.

Katherine D. in New York writes:

Dear Secretary Clinton,

My family and I have supported you and cheered for you over the past decade. We are proud to have someone of your brilliance, patience and integrity representing the United States as Secretary of State.

You are loved and appreciated for all you have done, and continue to do, for the American people. Good luck on this important inaugural trip in your new role. We'll be checking this blog for all of your updates.

Carolyn

Carolyn in New York writes:

Thanks for the update, Madame Secretary. I look forward to more of your characteristically clear-sighted, perspicacious, carefully reasoned memos on foreign policy, after eight years of living in an informational vacuum!

Tim

Tim in California writes:

Hello Secretary Clinton,

First let me say that it feels like such an honor to blog with you on DipNote. I thank you for all your service to this country and around the world. Your voice is a voice for those that are marginalized and misunderstood. Your voice is a voice of reason, foresight, and compassion. So for all of that, I say thank you.

Now on to my comment and question: Since your trip begins in Japan I wanted to tell you about a program that I participated in a few years back. The JET Program sponsored by Japan's education department -- mombusho as well as a couple other Federal departments, was the international exchange and teaching program I refer to. This has been a successful program for well over 20 years. My question is -- do you plan on sponsoring any kind of program as far reaching as the JET Program for the United States?

Thank you very much.

gloria

Gloria in California writes:

I am so proud of having you as our Secretary of State thank you for your dedication to this nation and to the people of the world.

Cindy
Washington, USA

Cindy in Washington writes:

As one of your delegates and a 300 club member (2/300), I am so proud to watch you as our Diplomat in Chief. We are in safer hands with you as the voice of America.

Thank you for your devotion to America; for your wisdom in leading us to a more peaceful world, and for your thoughtfulness in the aveneues you are promoting for us to stay involved in your work.

As one of your 18 million followers, thanks again. Some day we hope to follow your actions in a different leadership role.

Patricia

Patricia in New York writes:

As we travel in the "common boat" with our Chief Diplomat, we know that we will do so peacefully.

Lynn

Lynn in New York writes:

How did you like meeting with the Japanese students? What did they have to say and what was on their minds?

Diane
Canada

Diane in Canada writes:

Mrs. Clinton,

Bonjour Mrs. Clinton,

I am very delighted to see you in your new role that "suits you" extremely well and I am very encourage to read America's message of creating deeper relationships with other nations in facing all our challenges. I look forward in reading posts of your missions.

God Bless you,
Diane

Toni
Minnesota, USA

Toni in Minnesota writes:

After reading the other comments, I felt compelled to speak. What a wonderful world we live in with this technology that allows us all to be connected; even to those who govern. What joy I have felt with this new administration and I agree with one of the responders that I feel safer with you so involved with the world around us.

I wrote a paper for school that addressed my feeling about foreign policy and in this paper I indicated that many people in this world are not in agreement with those who "govern" them. Most just want what is best for themselves and their families. Most don't care about how they are being governed until it interferes with this want for happiness. My feeling is that it might be better to get to know the people of other places and cultures before dealing with those who govern them. Their perspective is what should take priority. This is what will repair and reverse the adverse impression of us that the world has today. Of course, the election of Barack Obama has certainly started this hopeful process. Thank you for your ear.

kate
Canada

Kate in Canada writes:

Hello Mrs. Clinton, I am so glad Obama included you in his administration, I was disappointed at first that he did not make you vice president, however, I think you will be just as effectual in your current role, so perhaps all's well that ends well. My question to you is in regards to child prostituition in Thailand and other places in Asia -- I am wondering how you are going to try to crack down on these attrocities, while their own government seems to turn a blind eye?

Godspeed.

Alim

Alim in Washington, DC writes:

Thank you for sharing your moments in Asia. I look forward to reading more.

Rajiv
United Kingdom

Rajiv in the United Kingdom writes:

The itinerary of Secreatry Clinton's first trip abroad is significant in promoting the U.S. focus on Asia. The shift from a hitherto instinctive cohesion with Europe is the result of rising economic and military potential of Asian countries compared with a stagnating, if not declining, Europe. It is curious that New Delhi is not on the Secretary's route. In terms of economic and military potential, India merited a stop. Is it because the Secreatry of State has chosen, at this stage, not to involve the US at the highest level in dealing with the security and terrorism threat India has recently faced from Pakistan based Islamic jihadis? While Richard Holbrook has been in Islamabad and Delhi, Mrs. Clinton appears to save the heavyweight involvement for another day. The Indians are a touchy lot and may find their enthusiasm for the Obama administration unrequited.

Laura
Texas, USA

Laura in Texas writes:

To the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton , When are we as a nation going to adress the starving & dying Orphans wondering the street's in North Korea ?

Chuck
Pennsylvania, USA

Chuck in Pennsylvania writes:

Madame Secretary,

What a refreshing post you have written! I am very happy to read such a positive and uplifting perspective on our relations with Asia.

Best of luck to you on this trip, and bring home some GOOD NEWS!

I look forward to more blogs from you here.

Ernesto

Ernesto in New York writes:

Choosing Asia to start your time at state, with Japan being your first visit, was an excellent decision. For too long we have held a stance towards Asia that seems as if we take our relations with them for granted. Japan can and should be much more engaged and involved in furthering our mutual interests in the region. There is much work that can be done bridging divisions between Japan and China...who MUST be an ally going forward. There is so much ground to cover in Asia, so much potential for cooperation and "harmony and balance" to quote your earlier statements. Kudos Secretary Clinton and good luck in your future endeavors.

JOSE
Cuba

Jose in Cuba writes:

As worker in my condition of local employee of the Department of State is a wonderful option to be able to follow the news. I am a faithful supporter in favor of the Secretary of State from her presidential campaign.

Regards,
Jose
Veteran's Grand Son of the Officer Armed Forces
Document Checker of the U.S. Interests Section of Havana, Cuba
Member of the American Democracy Institute

jean l.
France

Jean Luc in France writes:

your journey is very important for all of us, I hope you can convince the people of Asia to do something about global warming. Here for the first time we had a storm with going as fast as 190km/h never heard before

Veronica
Texas, USA

Veronica in Texas writes:

Thank you for all your continued efforts it seams you have always been diligent in making improvements in our everyday lives. We are grateful and excited to see you alongside this administration that also seams so committed to improvement.

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

Hillary, I am back to say, and I hope this does not sound totally shallow, that your coat in those airport pictures, is absolutely gorgeous on you. You always look beautiful (Chadwick's is copying some of your styles). That coat is special -- especially for descending stairs on a breezy tarmac :)

Erin

Erin in Washington, DC writes:

Dear Mme. Secretary,

It is very nice to read your blog entry. Not only am I supporter of all of the great work you're doing, I'm also a government employee looking to advance the use of social media tools for communication. Thanks for being such an excellent example of open and interactive communication.

Respectfully,
Erin

Edward
Utah, USA

Edward in Utah writes:

I'm glad that you have posted to this blog even if the blog layout is unattractive and unappealing. I wish you the best of luck on your trip and look forward to you accomplishing many great things during your tenure as Secretary of State. Please consider having your tech people change the layout of this blog.

Mimi

Mimi in New York writes:

I am so excited about Hilary Clinton's first trip. I look forward to following the news concerning the events on her travels.

Sudha

Sudha in New York writes:

Dear Madame Secretary Hillary,

I am delighted to read your post. I have been following your trail to Asia [starting with this lovely shot: http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0blh7ZKgvM1bK/340x.jpg showing how thoughtful you are in everything you do from the inside panel of your jacket!] and see that you have already impressed Japan (from the college students, to the shinto priests at the Meiji shrine to dignatories like Japan's Prime Minister Taro Aso, Empress Michiko and Japan's foreign minister Hirofumi Nakasone) and a lot of Asia. You have connected with EVERYONE!!! And, n, it is not a surprise at all.

Cheerful as ever, and serious and thoughtful in your responses, you demonstrate that women are capable and know how to play GOOD POLITICS for the good of all people and the world.

As an upstate NY-er, I miss you coming around. However, it is nice to know that you are working for all of U.S. and the world.. and great to read your blog. Please do keep blogging so we can "hear" your perspective.

Thanks for everything you are doing. Let us know how we the readers can help you with your efforts. Thank you!

Regards,