Behind the Scenes: Secretary Clinton Departs for Asia

Posted by Robert Wood
February 16, 2009
U.S. Airplane Arrives Beijing

About the Author: Robert Wood serves as Acting Department Spokesman and Acting Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs.

We're aboard the Secretary's plane en route to Asia. This is Secretary Clinton's first trip abroad since she took office, and it will include visits to Japan, Indonesia, the Republic of Korea and China. On Friday, the Secretary previewed the trip for reporters following her remarks at the Asia Society in New York.

The mood on the plane is enthusiastic, even though many are still hard at work on last minute details. Secretary Clinton spoke to reporters on board the aircraft en route to a refueling stop in Alaska. She addressed a number of issues, including climate change, North Korea, Russia and human rights.

You will be hearing from me and others throughout this week, so check back on DipNote frequently for updates.

Comments

Comments

William
Alaska, USA
February 15, 2009

William in Alaska writes:

I watched the Secretary's video presented at the Asia Society last night. We here in Alaska, are hopeful for a fresh start. The Pacific is our neighborhood. There is much that could be accomplished from our forward location. Alaskans are keen to participate.

Good wishes for a successful venture.

Rhonda D.
Pennsylvania, USA
February 16, 2009

Rhonda D. in Pennsylvania writes:

GO HILLARY! Have A safe trip -- my best to you!

Rosemary
New Jersey, USA
February 16, 2009

Rosemary in New Jersey writes:

Godspeed to everybody on board, and special prayers for the success of this voyage in all quarters. Tell our dear Mme. Secretary that all of her friends are following her trip. We know she'll do a superb job (she always does), and we love her!

Terry
Connecticut, USA
February 16, 2009

Terry in Connecticut writes:

Any pics showing Secretary Clinton aboard the 757? Good luck on Sec. Hillary Clinton's first overseas trip. I am looking forward for many more pics and updates!

Sam
China
February 16, 2009

Sam in China writes:

Hi Robert, is there any way I can find out if Secretary Clinton will have any events in Beijing where the public can shake her hand? I just want to meet her to tell her that the world loves her, and that we consider her shoulders a comfortable place for the world to sit :)

Sam

RANDRIAMAMPIONONA
Madagascar
February 16, 2009

Solomon in Madagascar writes:

Mr president of the USA, Mm secretary of state gov, the all pople and army in America

Mr president I'm write give strong and effort for your and peole USA use for confurme and contunie us work and coperation war on terrorism in the world ,and for deliver us true peaces and democracy in all country we iself in the world Nation use for waranty security the defence usa and for people america and jewish in the world and for protection the us UNited and Union the USA powerfuil Mr president we need confurme us open acount in the all country around of us on economic and defence and never quiter on us way back for Ansembly the USA and Africa contunent use for only road we earning the winn on all action for development and remove us rate economic and for confurme us effort and strong of the defence Army of United states in the world use for iself and to defende the world Nation and use for stoping the all action terrorism and war in the world .

Confurme acompany of the Russian Union on defence and economic for confurme us sutiation on defence and economic in the world. we need confurme us suport for the Israel on protection and armement and material of transport and comunication use for he realize and deliver us peaces in palestine ,Israel are acompany of us and there us batling for us on war on terrorism in the world. confurme us system gestion on all brance and section of the ministry for development on people farmers and for people coperative of comerce and for people coperative of Indistrie and for people society of material cominication for on all produict export us country.

Mr president I hope you never let me and us country on the hands and on iself us enemy terrorism and never change your position and your orientation for help and suport me in all action war and all problem security for protection me and my country.

contunie open us mussil Inter-contunental as far as I change us Give order enssure the protection .for all country acompany of us. wen I not send message for your one eache monday ,you are clear I'm already on the hands us enemy terrorism,imediately lanch us atack for rescue and revenge me. I need your help on buidget and material of comunication for realize and contunie us work up again the USA on economic in above place and number one in the world and for i give us New strategy of war US009 and for all project for benefit USA and Madagascar and me and your.

The God us protege
Yopur coperation
R. SOLOMON

Dennis N.
Japan
February 16, 2009

Dennis N. in Japan writes:

I am interested on how Secretary's first trip abroad to Asia will unfold, especially in Japan. Though there are many issues to be discussed, very hopeful it will turn out to be a success.

Dennis N.

Tamara
Indiana, USA
February 16, 2009

Tamara in Indiana writes:

I will be praying for the strength and safety for all of our citizens on this trip.

I know if anyone can get a productive dialogue with the todays world leaders is Secretary Clinton.

I hope all will be well.

Tamara

Robert ".
Michigan, USA
February 16, 2009

Robert in Michigan writes:

I wish you much success on your first trip abroad Hillary! Isnt there some way you could stop in Thailand too? They have been a very good ally of the U.S. for over 175 years now and feel left out because you are not visiting there! Please see what you can do to include Thailand in your trip!

Heidi
February 16, 2009

Heidi in Florida writes:

Godspeed, Hillary! May this trip be filled with many successes and anecdotes. I look forward to following your endeavors through the news. You make an outstanding ambassador!

T.H.
February 19, 2009

T.H. in U.S.A. writes:

This trip should be enlightening. I'm curious to see what sticks and carrots Clinton can muster to deal with the Chinese. I blogged about it at http://www.thehegemonist.com/2009/02/china-policy-for-next-four-years.html.

MacIver
February 17, 2009

Donald in Virginia writes:

AROUND THE WORLD SAFER TRANSPORTATION FOR EVERYONE!

1. It has been a goal of mine that all vehicles should have better and safer safety Standards.

2. I will continue my quest of getting PODS placed on all Commercial Planes and Helicopters to help people survive the crashes safer.

3. In life we all take things for granted. Until a crash happens and people lose lives.

4. We all know the BLACK BOX will survive the crash. What we want is all people to survive the crash in future.

5. What is my idea about the POD?

It's a shell to protect passengers onboard trains, planes, helicopters. Inside the shell has all the important survival equipment you would need in an emergency. On a plane you have emergency doors and hatches for the ground. My idea means that all windows would be converted to emergency doors. The concept is very simple. Passengers would sit in the POD's during Take-Off or Landing. If or when an emergency happens, the POD's can roll out of the aircraft through the emergency doors or hatches along a ground rail located inside the plane. Once the POD's roll out, the parachutes are deployed. So a passenger is departing the aircraft inside a POD with a means to land safely. This modification would also be in place for the Cockpit and crew. Fighter JETS use ejection seats to evacuate Pilots, we all want to be able to eject safely. An emergency cord would activate the rollout procedure. They would have shielding of material like what they use in motorcyle helmets. Protecting the human body from damage. It would include parachutes, life preservers, be fire resistant to heat and float. It would also come with neccessary survival books, communications, they can even include pre-paid cell phones, flairs, basic first aid kit, some emergency meals ready to eat.

Making people safer and survive the crashes should be everyones goal for arriving to their destination alive!

God bless!