DipNote Looks Forward To Continuing the Conversation

Posted by Robert Wood
January 20, 2009
Crowds Gather on the National Mall for Inaugural Concert

About the Author: Robert Wood serves as Acting Department Spokesman and Acting Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs.

Today the United States inaugurates its 44th President. This inauguration marks an exciting and historic moment, one that underscores the transformative nature of democracy. Democracy, by definition, is participatory. To participate effectively in a democracy, the public must have access to information. This is something I’m very mindful of while serving as a communicator for the State Department.

This inauguration also represents the peaceful transition of power from one U.S. Administration to the next. Each transition of power in the United States infuses the government with new energy and ideas. It serves as a time for career employees to evaluate what we’re doing and to explain it to our incoming colleagues.

As representatives of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Public Affairs, we provide information during daily press briefings and communicate regularly with NGOs and civic groups. We also manage the Department’s online presence and produce the official history of U.S. foreign affairs. DipNote serves as an opportunity for direct public participation in the U.S. foreign policy discourse. I look forward to joining the DipNote dialogue and continuing its ongoing conversation.

Comments

Comments

Luke F.
January 21, 2009

DipNote Blogger Luke Forgerson writes:

@ Artem in Russia -- you can find the transcript and video of President Obama's Inaugural Address here.

Mauricio
January 21, 2009

Mauricio in Virginia writes:

Thank you for the wonderful article.

Houda
Michigan, USA
January 21, 2009

Houda in Michigan writes:

Iam a Moslim Arab Aamerican Woman that loves Hillary Clinton & is looking forward to a better future for Palastenian people now that we finally have Obama on board.

Tanveer
Pakistan
January 22, 2009

Tanveer in Pakistan writes:

Dear President Obama: I want to say congratulation on this remarkable history. You are the real picture of the dream of marton Luther. You are the leader even i am Pakistan, but i like the people who love with work, hardworking and honest. Allah give reward only those who love him and work for his projection. I am common young Pakistani and like your strategies and planning and sincerity. May GOD help you and gives new ideas to serve your nation and world.
I will be great service for 100 millions if you work for Kashmir and try your best to resolve this issue.

I am very thankful to u if u read these words.

God bless you and your new government.

Best of luck and wishes.

Ahmed
Jordan
January 22, 2009

Ahmed in Jordan writes:

Iraq was one of the main reason Obama was elected and it came first in his inauguration specch. He really needs to work so hard to find a solution for this country otherwise the whole middle east will fall in to the jaws of the Iranian shark swallowing everyone's interests. Iran has no friends and they are well known for betrayal and so Obama needs to figure out a way by which he stops them and give a chance for Iraq to elect a good government far from the Iranian intervention in all its shapes and restore strategic power balance between these two countries to maintain peace and protect interests.

Ahmed from Iraq

aziz
Pakistan
January 22, 2009

Aziz in Pakistan writes:

Congratulation Barak Hussain Obama.

Your honourable seat strongly desrves to work day and night to settle the problems of Afghanistan, Iraq, Kashmir, Palestine, and other issues of conflic purly according to the needs of local people inhabing these regions. Kashmir issue is as important for the peace of South Asia as the Palestine for the Middle East. Both Iraq ang Afghanistan need strong foundation of resolution which your authority can easily do. United Nations resolutions in all these matters of global politics demand for 100 percent attention to implement in resolving permanently from the president office of U.S.A., which belives in global peace and tranquility.

God help you. You just make past the pace of proceedings.

NDAUKILA
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
January 22, 2009

Ndaukila in the Democratic Republic of Congo writes:

I say congrtilations to president OBAMA and to all the US people, so God bless the USA !

ALESSANDRO
Venezuela
January 22, 2009

Alessandro in Venezuela writes:

Congratulation Mr. Presidet I wish you the best for you and all the Administration to solve the problems and it became the best oportunity to succes of the humanity for better days to come. But please. I'm from Venezuela and we have and evil president please help us to be a free country again but I cant explain my self how could be possible in this century 21 the humanity still have this kind of president. Dictator. Opressor of human right. Please help us Mr President and God bless you and God bless the United State of America.

Sherman
January 22, 2009

Sherman in New York writes:

I want to congratulate President Obama and his Administration and pledge to be a part of the change we have already started. I will offer my time and any service that will make my neighborhood, community an country a better place.

Alexander
Germany
January 22, 2009

Alexander in Germany writes:

I congratulate President Obama and his Administration. Now the "Wind of Change" in the U.S. Politics can go on. We here in germany are mostly friends from the U.S. and we now what they have done for us. I Hope we can renew our good Relations. Let us now work for this!

YES, WE CAN !!!

May God bless the new "First Family" and the Minister of the new Administration. And may God bless the United States of America.

When my English is not so good, plese excuse me :-)

abby
January 22, 2009

Abby in Florida writes:

President Obama has taken on the greatest responsibility of America, her people, many other countries and their people too. He is the first whose hope reaches world wide. The thread so many have waited to grab on to. The cool part is he knows it and is not afraid. We must all give him our faith and confidence. Thanks to his bravery and Amen.

Who c.
January 22, 2009

WC in Virginia writes:

Sad day for America!

li
China
January 23, 2009

Li in China writes:

Respect president Obama .I'm from china,I want know .How do you intend to deal with the relationship between China and the United States? and how you will process the Taiwan problem? Thanks.

Jeff
January 23, 2009

Jeff in Florida writes:

Congratulations President Obama. You've talked the talk and now it's time to walk the walk. Fix our economy!

t-bby
New Jersey, USA
January 23, 2009

TBBY in New Jersey writes:

omg i love dis pic it look nice

Janeide
New Jersey, USA
January 24, 2009

Janeide C. in New Jersey writes:

May god bless our New President Barack H. Obama and his family. Congrats to Hillary Clinton and the entire Cabinet that President Obama chose. I know we are in for Change. Thank you...

Weijin C.
China
January 25, 2009

Weijin in China writes:

OK

REG
France
January 25, 2009

REG in France writes:

My Dear Assistant Secretary Wood,

I am ready for a conversation, as well. I am an American citizen residing in France and the United Kingdom. I am a registered voter in Winter Haven, Florida. And I do vote by absentee ballot. Of course, being Florida, I have no idea whether my vote ever gets counted.

I am a lifelong Democrat. I have served on Democratic Party local executive committees. I was a volunteer in a Congressional campaign that took a Congressional seat in northern California permanently (so far) out of the Republican column and into the Democratic column. I am comfortable and effective in mainstream American politics.

For 23 days I watched F-16 fighter planes and helicopter gunships provided by the United States of America and paid for by the American taxpayer attack unarmed elderly men, women and children, United Nations shelters and food warehouses run by the International Committee of the Red Cross. I have read and watched fully confirmed reports of a truck driver working for a humanitarian organization trying to bring food to hungry people being shot to death by Israeli troops.

The United States of America provided the money and the weapons used to openly commit these outrages against human decency. It doesn't matter what markings were painted on the instruments of death and destruction that were used to carry out these acts of barbarism. They were American instruments of death and destruction. Without huge amounts of military and economic aid - indeed, in amounts so monumental they defy comprehension -- from the U.S.A., these crimes simply could not have happened.

No one in the U.S. government could credibly claim this came as a surprise. The behavior of the State of Israel has not changed since 1948. It was the Israeli army's attack on Gaza, then part of Egypt, in the mid-1950s, destroying the Egyptian headquarters there and killing 38 Egyptian nationals, that convinced Egypt's President Nasser that he needed to buy sophisticated weapons to defend his nation from attack from Israel.

History tells us that President Nasser was absolutely correct.

Enjoying the advantage of sophisticated, modern weapons systems, Israel intensified its attacks on Egypt. A young Shimon Perez bolstered Israel's position by negotiating a deal to buy tanks and jets from France. Then in 1956, Britain, France and Israel jointly invaded and occupied Egypt.

That was so many years ago. And yet, so little has changed. The big difference now is that Israel gets so much more money and so many more weapons, now from the United States. And so the United States of America has presented us with the horror of Gaza.

Those officials of the United States government who have taken oaths before their God to uphold and defend the Constitution and the Laws of the United States are legally, politically, financially and morally responsible, and fully accountable, for the bloodthirsty barbarism inflicted upon Gaza for 23 days in 2008.

Nowhere in the Constitution of the United States did The People, the sole source of authority for the government of the United States of America, authorize the officials of their government, their "hired hands," to go out and commit unprovoked, premeditated murder. Or pay somebody else to do it for them.

Yet, I realize now that the taxes that I haven been paying to the U.S. Treasury were used to provide the money and weaponry essential to this monstrous act of state terrorism against the people of Gaza. The United States of America has made me, a mere taxpayer, complicit in its crimes. I object to this!

Yes. We have some things to talk about.

Yasin
January 25, 2009

Yasin in California writes:

Congratulations and BEST WISHES to President Obama Vice President Biden and their able cabinet team. God be with all of you.

Please resolve the crises in Afghanistan. Those people suffered for a long time (30 + years).

Best Regards.