DipNote Looks Forward To Continuing the Conversation

Posted by Robert Wood
Crowds Gather on the National Mall for Inaugural Concert

About the Author: Robert Wood serves as Acting Department Spokesman and Acting Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs.

Today the United States inaugurates its 44th President. This inauguration marks an exciting and historic moment, one that underscores the transformative nature of democracy. Democracy, by definition, is participatory. To participate effectively in a democracy, the public must have access to information. This is something I’m very mindful of while serving as a communicator for the State Department.

This inauguration also represents the peaceful transition of power from one U.S. Administration to the next. Each transition of power in the United States infuses the government with new energy and ideas. It serves as a time for career employees to evaluate what we’re doing and to explain it to our incoming colleagues.

As representatives of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Public Affairs, we provide information during daily press briefings and communicate regularly with NGOs and civic groups. We also manage the Department’s online presence and produce the official history of U.S. foreign affairs. DipNote serves as an opportunity for direct public participation in the U.S. foreign policy discourse. I look forward to joining the DipNote dialogue and continuing its ongoing conversation.

Comments

Comments

Ben V.

Ben in Virginia writes:

Congratulations to President Obama!

Syrian P.
Syria

SNP in Syria writes:

And the musical chair play continue, new faces seated this round but the game master still controlling the play and when the music stops and starts. His symbol is omnipotent and center stage but his Twelvers are out of sight. It is confusing to the layman, he can not figure out if the President of the United States Security Clearance is grade 12 or 18, either case who is Grade ONE.

sabah
Algeria

Sabah in Algeria writes:

First of all, I would like to congratulate the people of the U.S.A. for the investiture of their new President Barack Hussein Obama and share these exceptional moments of hopes for all the nations.

Mark
North Carolina, USA

Mark in North Carolina writes:

Congratulations to President Obama. God Bless Us, Every One.

Robert G.
Texas, USA

RPG in Texas writes:

We elected a man who can give great speeches and was senator for two years. Is there anyone better than that?

Mike
Colorado, USA

Mike in Colorado writes:

For the first time in my life I have voted for a president instead of choosing the lesser of two evils. Perhaps the rest of the world will understand now that not everyone in this country believes in the approach that has been used for the last 8-48 years. Our country needs to not use our self interest as an excuse for meddling in the affairs of other nations. I have confidence that Obama understands this and will act accordingly. There is much work to be done. We all need to roll our sleeves up and take care of business...

Hinerau
New Zealand

Hinerau in New Zealand writes:

Congratulations to the people of the U.S.A. for having the vision, the faith and the courage to elect Barack Obama as President. A truly remarkable orator & a man of great presence that transcends the media to speak to each of us face to face.

This action has given great Hope to those of us outside of the U.S.A. that the impossible is possible God Bless You All.

mg
Texas, USA

MG in Texas writes:

Congratulations! Way to go! president OBAMA!!!!, I'm so proud of your history-making inauguration.
I support and call for a president Obama cabinet and administration that reflects our country in all its diversity.
Here are the issues at the top of MY agenda for your administration.

1. president Obama, please fix the mess done in the horn of Africa.
2. president Obama, please have a us-Africa leaders summit, it is embarrassing to see china-Africa summit, Euro-Africa summit, India-Africa summit and so on but not the USA.it is really really embarrassing, please Mr. president do the US-AFRO summit with all 53 African leaders and make us proud.

nelly
Indonesia

Nelly in Indonesia writes:

Congratulation to all U.S.A people for your new Elect President Inauguration (Mr. President Barack Obama). Hope fully can create new generation of the U.S goverment atmosphere which can make good impact not only for U.S.A but also for all around the world. May God Bless all your purpose to make peace and good humanity atmosphere.

This the first time for me to congratulate the new President of the U.S.A.

NGAN
Vietnam

Ngan in Vietnam writes:

Congratulations! He will bring peace for everyone in this world. I hope so!

abdillahi
Washington, USA

Abdillahi in Washington writes:

Congratulations Barack Obama for being our 44th President of the United States.

Miriam A.

Miriam in New York writes:

CONGRATULATION!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr. President Barak Obama, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!, like you say many times "Together We Can Do It". God Bless you, and Help you.

zafar
India

Zafar in India writes:

He is the man who will change the world in right direction.So just wait and watch.

Marjorie
South Africa

Marjorie in South Africa writes:

Congratulations on the inauguration of President Obama and a hoped-for ushering in of an era characterised by respect for the rights and dignity of all peoples and for the advance of an international legal and human rights regime that will extend corporate accountability and a rule of law to individuals, corporations as juristic persons and to states.

Hans R.
Germany

Hans in Germany writes:

Congretulation to the American people for this President Obama! Most of the Germans have a great strong relationship to the U.S. We do not belong to the "bad" countries as Mr. Bush said! We thank and love the American poeple for helping us so much after World War II! And I believe in "working together" -- USA Europe (with Germany) will help to clear the problems of the world! -- with Barack Obama! God bless him and the American poeple!

мария &.
Russia

Maria in Russia writes:

I miss on Condoleeza Rice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jean-michel

Jean-Michel writes:

investure barack obama.

Chris
Norway

Chris in Norway writes:

I just want to say congratulations to the new Administration. I hope you can live up to even half the expectations the world has of you. You know, here in Norway during the campaign there were posters with your face on them, and whenever someone realized I was American they would ask me about what I thought about the election.

I remember when I went into my Norwegian class the evening of the election my teacher and several other students told me "congratulations!" I was confused, so they said "On the election" and I had to tell them that i didn't vote for Sen. Obama. I didn't vote for McCain either -- I voted for Bob Barr, because fundamentally I believe in small government. In fact, at my core I don't even believe in Taxes or government at all -- but currently the world does need government.

That said, I would like to share with you my personal wishes for our countries policies as far as international affairs go. Even with my fundamental dislike for government, I know that President Obama is a very good man, and so as long as we have big government I have really hope that the new administration will use our oversized government for good.

In North Korea there is a system that puts political enemies into hard work undernourished prison camps for 3 generations. The people born in these camps are beaten, tortured, and fed hardly anything. On top of it, they are taught hardly anything, not even who Kim-Jong-Il is, because it is expected that they will live in the prison for the rest of their lives and don't need any knowledge.

The situation in North Korea is THE biggest humanitarian crisis in the world today, and as long as we stay officially at war with them we have a responsibility to finish the job by reuniting the Korean peninsula in a peaceful manner and doing what we can to rebuild that country, just as we have done for every other country we have invaded.

After WW2 we rebuilt Europe and Japan, and when communist Russia took over East Germany we continually demanded East Germany's freedom and sent over air plains with aid. While we are in Afghanistan and Iraq we are also rebuilding and helping the people there. Why haven't we done this with North Korea? Why won't we substantially help these poor people who we helped put into their current situation?

Besides that, I'm sure you realize all the other horrible happenings in the world which we could do something about. My generic suggestion for all international matters is this: go to the experts at the Universal Peace Federation. Seek their advice, and they will be able to help your administration so very much.

Your campaign created so much hype both in the United States and the world. just look at these other comments! So many look to you not just as the new President of the free world. They look to you as some kind of a massiah-like savior! You are not going to be able to live up to their expectations alone. I am no official representative of the UPF, but I am 100% sure that they would so gladly like to help you live up to the hype.

While the UPF didn't exist at the time, the people of the UPF are the same who were trying to assist the Clinton administration in the middle east. They're also they same who are very active with the economic zones in North Korea and the reunification movement there. I believe that have even given advice to the Bush administration behind the scenes of the 6 party talks.

Please, speak to the Ambassadors for Peace, speak with Rev. Dr. Sun Myung Moon and his son Dr. Hyun Jin Moon and their colleagues. Let them help you to help the world.

Above all remember this: Live for the sake of others.

For Liberty and One Family Under God.

RANDRIAMAMPIONONA S.
Madagascar

Solomon in Madagascar writes:

Mr president of the United State of the America To be the terrorism not stop sabotage us corespondence. we need take us deceide closhe for protect us honor and above place and us all people in all country acompany of us. Confurme us preparation of war use for deliver us true peaces and democracy in the world and for we atke direct the liberate Africa contunent. We need not accept the all advice wrong ansd fashehould for target destroy us coperation and United. Your coperation.

Brian

Brian in Florida writes:

We all can play a vital role as Americans in our continued efforts to make this wonderful country and world in which we live a better place for today and tomorrow. America's short history is a true testament of how the will of people to look within ourselves and to make the right choices for all Americans. Our 44th president, Barack Obama, has captured the spotlight of millions who perhaps otherwise would not feel as engaged in our political affairs. Now it is up to us as Americans to continue in our efforts however small or however big to stay focused, work hard, make sacrifices and help one another to achieve our goals as an individual, as a family, as a nation and as a world.

Jeanne
Texas, USA

Jeanne in Texas writes:

How many of the State Department Assistants/Deputies/Under Secretaries will change with the new administration?

Amanda
West Virginia, USA

Amanda in West Virginia writes:

I am so pleased to say that my President is Barack Obama. I worked very hard to generate votes for him and others that I felt would usher in the "change" that this nation needs. I look forward to the next 8 ( :p ) years. Moments like yesterday are what inspire me to follow my dreams of going into office.

Eliezer

Eliezer in Florida writes:

Best of luck too you MR President, God bless America.

Quinn
Connecticut, USA

Quinn in Connecticut writes:

I am rooting for Hillary to be the greatest Secretary of State ever. Go Hillary!

Artem B.
Russia

Artem in Russia writes:

I ask to send a videofile or the reference to the full version of inauguration of the President of the USA B.Obamy

Yours faithfully,
[Name Omitted]
a member of the Union of journalists of Russia

Pedro

Pedro in Florida writes:

Fellow citizens of the world,

I would like to express my personal gratitude for all of your positive feedback on this recent election and inauguration of our new President, Barack H. Obama. It truly was a historic moment for the ages in which many generations afterwards will look upon with great pride as the catalyst to bring about the change that this great nation of ours needs. The same can be said about the rest of the world. I hope that this peaceful transition of power becomes a permanent model for all nations, young and old, especially the ones that are in constant hunger. But not only for food and sustenance, but also for fundamental human rights. Hunger for democracy is a plague for the old world. My hope is that the vision of a new America will be able to usher in a new era that can help ease this hunger. Our willingness to accept positive change by electing Barack Obama as our new President is not just a testament, but a solid commitment that is just a mere spark that will once again light up the beacon of hope and prosperity that yearns to burn endlessly in all of our hearts. God bless President Obama, God bless The United States of America and God bless all of you.

monica
Arizona, USA

Monica in Arizona writes:

i think that our new president is going to make a 'CHANGE' to our country (in a good way)!

roko
Canada

Roko in Canada writes:

Hi -- Considering what kind of mischief the former President George W. Bush did around the world i.e. Iraq, and at home re-economy<>deficit in his 8 years of presidency (President=chief in charge) in the White House, it appear like he is walking away free of any charges?

Everything seems to be honky dory with the new President like nothing happened in the last 8 years.

Tell me am I dreaming or there are different statute/law for the White House employee and the rest of us?

Thanks.

Maria F.

Maria F. in Florida writes:

I would just like to take this opportunity to say "Thank you" to all of you who went out this past election to vote. You truly were the ones to make the change happen and that is exactly what we need. I know that our new president, Barack Obama, will be bringing the change this country and the world needs. Thank you all once again. Thank you for believing that we CAN make a difference. President Obama, thank you!

Borat
Kazakhstan

B in Kazakhstan writes:

America, u get rid of Bush. Do women vote?