Join the Twitterati: Public Diplomacy in Real-Time

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
December 5, 2008
Deputy Assistant Secretary Colleen Graffy

Do you twitter? You can follow a diplomat in real-time and learn more about America's public diplomacy by catching the "tweets" of Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy Colleen Graffy.

She is tweeting now as she prepares this weekend to depart for Iceland, Croatia and Armenia.

She will chat with bloggers, meet with the Spokesperson at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, compare notes with journalists, talk with university students, hear about the Fulbright program, have pizza with representatives of the youth wings of political parties and more.

You may also follow her travels through DipNote on Twitter.

Comments

Comments

Sharon L.
December 6, 2008

Sharon in California writes:

I follow you on Twitter as NoReinsGirl. Love the tweets you send out everyday re: press briefings by the Secretary and Under-Sec. Thanks for following me back!

Bas E.
Turkey
December 6, 2008

Bas in Turkey writes:

How exciting. As an international communication student and serial expat, I'm very interested in international affairs and relations.... being a Twitter evangelist, I will definitely keep an eye out for Colleen's tweets!

Greetings from a fellow tweeter! (Spartz)

joe
Tennessee, USA
December 6, 2008

Joe in Tennessee writes:

Can I come? LOL!

Steven
December 7, 2008

Steven in New York writes:

She's on twitter???

Jeffrey L.
December 8, 2008

Jeffrey in Washington, DC writes:

Welcome to Twitter from another gov't tweeter (I'm @levyj413 and also EPA's Director of Web Communications). Would love to chat re: using Twitter as a gov't official.

I noticed you're following @bartlet - pretty amusing. Many of those characters seem to be tweeting. :)

Sandra D.
Mali
December 8, 2008

Sandra Dee in Mali writes:

Big brother is twittering You.

Roberto
December 24, 2008

Roberto in Florida writes:

This is the closest I am going to come to fulfill my dream of being part of the diplomatic corps. Thank you.

Jerry C.
Texas, USA
December 24, 2008

Jerry in Texas writes:

This is great.

Are you a part of the Obama administration or the Bush administration?

Donna
December 24, 2008

Donna in Florida writes:

This is a whole new world to me... at 71 years of age. I have to race to keep up!

DipNote
December 24, 2008

DipNote Bloggers write:

@ Jerry in Texas -- Whereas some DipNote Bloggers are appointees of the current administration, others are foreign service officers and civil servants who are not associated with a specific administration.

William
Alaska, USA
December 24, 2008

William in Alaska writes:

I believe in digital diplomacy and congratulate you on extending it's application.

Clare
December 28, 2008

Clare in Washington, DC writes:

I don't think it is appropriate for a government official to use her time, let alone the time of other government staff in required technical support to create and maintain something like this, just to inform the world about Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons, about getting her car washed, about going the the gym, and her Christmas time with family, etc. I only wish she and other political appointees were as enthusiastic and committed to the work of the agencies as they are to playing on things like this where it is more an ego trip than an effort to accomplish something worthwhile. I would recommend Ms. Graffy leave the federal government so she could instead do what she really wants to do...chat with the world. A government job should not be a platform for self-agranizement or for getting a new job when the administration changes.

Jolanda
Massachusetts, USA
December 28, 2008

Jolanda in Massachusetts writes:

We live in exiting times! Hope it will help achieve a more harmonious world.

Faith
Egypt
December 29, 2008

Faith in Virginia writes:

I check in now and then to read at this site and am faced with a black background and tiny fonts that is not user friendly and I turn away. It almost seems that the site is designed to discourage readers.

Gerry
Illinois, USA
December 30, 2008

Gerry in Illinois writes:

This is a fantastic tool for a more transparent government.I would like to congratulate Assistant Secretary of State Graffy on her forward-thinking abilities. This will definitely be the future of communications with the public. It is inclusive of everyone and allows people to become more informed on U.S. diplomacy issues. Thanks for your service.

Steve
December 31, 2008

Steve in California writes:

Having a megaphone does not mean that the person using it will be honest. Social sites like Twitter are avenues to be more vocally available, for truth or for smoke.

Alberto
Italy
January 2, 2009

Alberto in Italy writes:

Could I know who is the Assistant Secretary for Public Diplomacy? I knew that after Kareen Huges resigned the position remained vacant for long time. Why?
How was the empasse solved?