Significant Events in U.S.-Libyan Relations: A Timeline

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
September 4, 2008
Libyan Leader Col. Moammar Gadhafi

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will travel to Portugal, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco from September 4 to September 7. The Secretary's visit to Libya signifies a new chapter in U.S-Libyan bilateral relations. Secretary Rice will be the first Secretary of State to travel to Libya since John Foster Dulles in 1953.

As the Secretary makes this visit, we thought DipNote's readers would be interested in a timeline of significant events in U.S.-Libyan relations and a pictorial history of some past and recent moments.

Editor's Note: When viewing the pictorial history, please click on each photo in order to read its full description.

Comments

Comments

joe
Tennessee, USA
September 4, 2008

Joe in Tennessee writes:

For a change nothing other than:

It would appear Ms Rice brought Mr. Ks his favorite meal to inhale.

Imagine, Leaders with his well known habit controlling the purse strings of the world...and having the capacity to start war.

Syrian P.
Syria
September 5, 2008

SNP in Syria writes:

One heck of a leader that brought freedom and democracy to his country. What did he do that Assad did not, oh yeah, remember he surrendered his weapon. Assad learned from Kaddafi, not to respond to an attack on your land and sovrignity so that you can be called out of the Axis of Evil, a friend of Israel. LOL.

September 5, 2008

Lot of controversy around this visit, whether Ghadaffi has put the check in the mail, or will hand the bank draft for compensation to the victims of terrorism directly to the Secretary, there will always be those who object to former enemies having normalized relations with the US.

The same was true when relations with Vietnam were normalized.

But then here is an example of one who has paid the price for terrorist activities, and had the intelligence to seek a better path for his nation's future.

Long way to go before Libya can call itself democratic or a human rights advocate, but time will tell about the pennies in the wishing well, SNP.

Assad and the Ayatollas in Iran should draw some example from one who has given up illusions of grandure and WMD.

John
Greece
September 6, 2008

John in Greece writes:

"AYATOLLAS" CANNOT ANYMORE SLEEP AT NIGHTS "THE GUYS" TAKE SLEEPING PILLS IN KREMLIN (like the tiger)

This phase of Libyan-American relations should become an example and answer for many "so-called" religion leaders or "nationalists" who are often attempting to hurt S.D.'s purposes and values through their dirty propaganda.

Syria, Iran and many other "sheikhs" or dictators cannot anymore sleep at nights as long as they watch what pure, based on ethics diplomacy can offer to the planet. Obviously, their supporters cannot sleep as well.

Now what they have to say about America? What has become of the "bad U.S. invader"?

They must understand that the only way to help their people and the Globe is to start negotiating and discussing issues in a more sincere way. Otherwise, let them keep on speaking the "Russian way" they prefer!

I think that the Secretary of State and the Bush Administration deserve a great applause for continuing their excellent work, no matter that their term "ends" in some weeks from now. They could sleep in their chairs during the "credit lines", but they (DID NOT) ARE NOT. To me, that proves how much they did care about Western values and the Nation all the way through their service. I hope that most of them will remain in S.D. and foreign policy posts no matter who the next President will be.

P.S. As always, you are right Eric! Many things are needed "before Libya can call itself democratic or a human rights advocate", but I am sure that you are glad -- I feel I know that you always think positive -- that we have a start!

Syrian P.
Syria
September 6, 2008

SNP in Syria writes:

Go ahead and add another medal for supporting retarded dictators. The list is too long from Edi Amen to Kaddafi what the change here is. I will not call this a victory for the West but another defeat unless the true aim of Westerners is to keep the region backward and retarded and under dictatorship and sheikh rules, in this case, yes you have earned one more medal. Keep your illusion of grandeur and winning like the Ayatollah, until the right day comes when reality hits the fan, not long coming, and just at the right time.

JOE
Tennessee, USA
September 6, 2008

Joe in Tennessee writes:

Tiger does not take sleeping pills, Tiger is two hours on, two hours off..just as programmed..LOL!

Have to admit, Mr. K provides one of the best party atmospheres in business arrangements. Better than Victor to be honest -- yes, he is a wonderful broker, not really a leader, who has avoided his occupations short comings by staying alive.

He is a professional broker who can see that right now his only use is to take sides and manipulate himself into a better position for future use. If you think you can trust him, you are as profoundly mistaken as you were with Russia. You are inviting a very good friend of Russia into your house...as usual. And I have not been wrong yet.

Why do we not simply auction off the USA instead of using poliltical propoganda for election purposes?

It is bogus, 100% untrustworthy. I am back Mr. N and you know I am correct. Look behind it all...

John
Greece
September 6, 2008

John in Greece writes:

@ Joe in Tennessee

If I understand your "encoded" comment correctly, you mean, among others, that we should not trust any of our former "ex-enemies" in an absolutely way. I also believe in this "old fashioned" (wise though) school of thinking: Do not trust anyone, especially if he had attempted to harm you in the past!

On the other hand, though, we -- West -- have to keep on trying to persuade our "opponents" about our Thesis and our Global, Humanitarian, Democratic vision through the diplomatic way. Otherwise Joe, YOU would first say once again: NO MORE WARS.

So, make up -- Diplomacy or wars?

When we have good results, as in this case, we should at least give the credits to the people they deserve a huge BRAVO. In this case it's Secretary Rice and the Bush Administration. However, we would applause ANY Administration and ANY party for such good results. That's what we love to see: political and diplomatic successes no matter the parties.

So, in order to make myself even more clear, I feel like underlining that I do not make political propaganda for election purposes -- as you probably accuse me for --, because my favorite "party" is the U.S. and the West Freedom!

No party!

P.S. Concerning the "tiger", I was actually referring to these recent stupid Russian propagandistic videos with Mr. V (Putin), the tiger, and the war-plane in which he is just a passenger.

1. It's obvious that the "tiger video" is a "constructed" video. Nevertheless, as they never achieved in the past, Russians cannot make an intelligent propaganda, not even clever enough. If you Joe had the chance to watch the video, you would have seen that someone -- YES! in the video, THEY provided to the media -- is explaining to the "ex-KGB" how the riffle works: First he shoots the tiger, and then they explain to him how "things" work. I'm sure he took some homework too. Maybe notes as well. But, according to the filthy "ex-Soviet propaganda", he did save the journalists. What a hero? A hero without a riffle?

2. According to the second propagandistic video, Captain V-ladi-MIG flies as a passenger a Russian war-plane. AS A PASSENGER! What a pilot? A pilot without an horizon?

Joe, I "do not make political propaganda for election purposes". I would not dare to do it through the official S.D. Blog and that's because I respect it's national and international value and role.
But, I prefer licensed war-plane pilots like GW or Mac. I prefer Obama too, even if he is not a pilot.

That's why I wouldn't certainly co-fly with a V "pilot" who has no horizon sense.

September 6, 2008

@ Joe, I think Sec. Rice put it very well when she said that she trusts actions.

In answer to whether he's worthy of our trust.

So I don't think anyone's fondling illusions about this.

-----------

@ John in Greece,

Glad to see you back on the blog, bro. I may not always be correct, but I tend to be hard to argue with....(Chuckle).

I don't think sleeping pills are the Ayatollah's drug of choice. Opium induced delusions of meglomaniacal grandure on the other hand seems to be a distinct probabability...LOL!

Makes one wonder if this is really a war on terror or simply the sane vs. the insane.

I say take your pick.

John
Greece
September 8, 2008

John in Greece writes:

@ Eric in New Mexico

Thank you very much for the welcome back Eric. I really mean that! In fact, I never left the "building"! And I think that I will never do so, as long as you all "Dip-noters" put up with me and my bad English guys? (Chuckle).

(Note to Z, SNP and others: when I say "building" I mean the Blog? I'm "joking", using this word, because some of you are always ready to say that all of us who contribute and argue with you work for the S.D.. We are not! We just love the Blog and this high-class debating)

All the previous days you are referring to, I did not write anything at all, but I was reading almost everything here Eric. I did not felt that I had the power and the knowledge to contribute on the discussed issues though. However, I really enjoyed and really learned things by reading all of your comments guys.

Eric, BEST REGARDS, and keep on developing your "tendency". It's wonderful to "read you arguing". All the others too!

September 8, 2008

Hey John, gotta give Putin credit where due. The whole bit with the tiger hunt was to draw attention to the endangered nature of the species. And if reports are accurate, he actually complimented the US on its conservation of species efforts as well.

So I don't read anything negative into it.

While it is true that Russian actions in Georgia have had a ripple effect on various aspects of bilateral relations, and the mistrust generated by those actions creates a poisonous atmosphere for relations in general; It is better to build upon what works and is mutually beneficial to repair the rift.

Way I see it, if Ghaddafi can make peace with the US, Russia and NATO are fully capable of it.

As an Afghan friend of mine put it, "The only thing a blind man hopes for is one good eye to see with."

John
Greece
September 8, 2008

John in Greece writes:

@ Eric

You are probably right concerning the eco part of the story. Maybe it's my fault, although my view was affected by the way local media (here) treated the news story. Many of them presented ?and they still do using this video -- Putin as the new super hero of the millennium that can win even a huge tiger.

Sometimes, it's not the news itself that counts, but the way media-keepers (gatekeepers) treat it for propagandistic scopes?

Thanks for your reply anyway Eric. I'll keep in mind the ecological parameter of the story.

September 9, 2008

Yeah John, the international press should no doubt take my Afghan freind's advice to heart as well..

Putin the big game hunter....Mmmmm, ..they let the cat out of the cage, he shoots...he scores! the tranquilized kitty is then put back in the cage.

There's something missing here I think is called sportsmanship, let alone anything resemblig a "hunt".

All in a good cause, but not something that lends any legit "tough guy" imaging.

I'd like to see him try that to my house cat, she'd have him for breakfast...speaking of which I should probably feed her now, as she's developed a sudden interest in foot in sock as an alternative food source....(chuckle).